Sponsored by:

GT4 - Factory Satin Black Wheel Cleaning Product Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 11:04 AM
joshua80
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT4 - Factory Satin Black Wheel Cleaning Product Recommendation

I searched this subforum for suggestions on how to clean the factory Satin Black wheels on a GT4. Didn't find much.

My main question, are these wheels clear coated? If so, I feel comfortable on using what I would normally use, Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. It has always worked well for me, but I have never had black painted wheels before.

Just dont want to damage the finish. I also have PCCB's and not sure if they require a special cleaning agent for the wheels so as to avoid damage to those as well?

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The paint is no different in hardness to a gloss finish, and likely not clear coated. Just don't clean the wheels with anything that you would not put on the hood.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua80
I searched this subforum for suggestions on how to clean the factory Satin Black wheels on a GT4. Didn't find much.

My main question, are these wheels clear coated? If so, I feel comfortable on using what I would normally use, Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner. It has always worked well for me, but I have never had black painted wheels before.

Just dont want to damage the finish. I also have PCCB's and not sure if they require a special cleaning agent for the wheels so as to avoid damage to those as well?

Thanks guys!!
PITA aren't they? If the finish weren't so gorgeous it would be troubling.

We have a long, detailed thread going over on the 991 forum about the Satin Black 911 GTS wheels. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1075...els-dirty.html

Lots of info on what works and what doesn't.

I'm guessing you have centerlocks. If so, be very careful about getting wheel cleaners on the centerlock nuts. Apparently they're anodized aluminum and a number of the usual go-to wheel cleaners can mar up the finish permanently.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:44 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Would it be any different from the satin platinum? I've never had an issue spraying them down with an iron remover (like the Sonax you mentioned), and then I just scrub them with my normal wash soap. No issues with staining or any other discoloration on the paint. No issues using the same products on my bronze painted / coated HRE's either. Once you get them clean I definitely recommend applying a wheel coating. There are plenty out there and they work well to make future cleaning much easier.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:49 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Would it be any different from the satin platinum? I've never had an issue spraying them down with an iron remover (like the Sonax you mentioned), and then I just scrub them with my normal wash soap. No issues with staining or any other discoloration on the paint. No issues using the same products on my bronze painted / coated HRE's either. Once you get them clean I definitely recommend applying a wheel coating. There are plenty out there and they work well to make future cleaning much easier.
Right - the issues aren't on the wheel or its paint. They're on the big center-lock nuts that secure centerlock wheels to the hub. The problem, if you have those, is that it's difficult to use Sonax, etc on the wheel without getting it on the centerlock nuts.

+1 on the wheel coating. I've gotten good results on my black satin GTS wheels with Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint coating, which they recommend for matte wheels.

Quick Reply: GT4 - Factory Satin Black Wheel Cleaning Product Recommendation