Cost efficient track tires for 991 wide body

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 10:19 PM
IrocMan
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cost efficient track tires for 991 wide body

Hello all,
I'm looking for a cost efficient option to get a set of track wheels for my 991, and while track compounds and rims are quite expensive in 20”, I found that there are more attractive options in 18”, starting with 2018 Hoosiers on sale that would fit the current width on my car, but will develop smaller radius (therefore more acceleration?)

What is the loss going from 20” to 18”, assuming brakes fit, with same tire height? Contact surface will theoretically be smaller, will this be the case and thus reduce grip compared to 19 or 20”?

Overall, does my reasoning make sense at all, or should I give up that path?

Thanks for any guidance!

Luke
Old 07-06-2019, 12:59 AM
eltoshan
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Idk if 18” wheels will fit on a 991. I thought 19” was the smallest you can go?
Old 07-07-2019, 10:03 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Yep, unfortunately 19s are smallest that will fit. Lots of wheels out there for sale. If you buy used check carefully for cracks. Forged rims will usually be stronger and more expensive. Lots of tires that will work and Hoosiers would be the stickiest outside of real slicks. Just check the Hoosier sizing (overall height) as compared to stock and try to keep the rake between front and back the same as stock. Reputable tire shops should be able to help with what will fit your specific car.

Quick Reply: Cost efficient track tires for 991 wide body