Sponsored by:

Will my new Michelin Sport 4S take it? NYC to FL

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:07 PM
Imola74
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Will my new Michelin Sport 4S take it? NYC to FL

Need to move my Golf R from NYC to South Florida this up coming week. Temps are forecast to be below freezing the entire way down. My biggest concern is leaving the car outside overnight in South Carolina, where the low is said to be 20F on Thursday night. Michelin say on their site: "Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced."

My Sport 4s have less than 500miles on them. What do you guys think-how will they fare the journey? If snow was in the forecast I would not attempt the drive.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:21 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Run at the higher range for tire pressures. And anticipate lesser performance.

Quick Reply: Will my new Michelin Sport 4S take it? NYC to FL