Notices
Wheel and Tire Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center cap question. Do black versus color crest mean anything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 01:43 AM
seemyad
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Center cap question. Do black versus color crest mean anything?

I am taking delivery of a 2011 Cayman in a week or so. It is black with black (or grey) interior.

Anyway, the center cap crest is black, which I don't mind. Yet I have seen some black Cayman's with the full color center cap Porsche crest.

Is this simply a personal preference or does the color of the crest serve to identify some feature of the car?

A friend with a Boxster once mentioned the color of the brake calipers had some meaning associated with them.

So I was just curious about the wheel center cap crest.

Thanks.

Last edited by seemyad; 08-26-2017 at 03:15 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:11 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is usually an upgrade option to the color painted center caps. they are the exact same thing I believe, just some upgraded wheel packages, or optioners opt for the colored crests which make the logo stand out. They're not expensive to swap them yourself and can be found on many a parts site or even Amazon I believe...just look out for knockoffs.

Congrats on the Cayman...!
Old 08-29-2017, 08:33 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScottyZ
It is usually an upgrade option to the color painted center caps. they are the exact same thing I believe, just some upgraded wheel packages, or optioners opt for the colored crests which make the logo stand out. They're not expensive to swap them yourself and can be found on many a parts site or even Amazon I believe...just look out for knockoffs.

Congrats on the Cayman...!
Thank you for the congrats and the information. I felt the colored crest was more distinguished and would add a bit of color to my black Cayman. I wanted to check with people who have more experience than I before making the change.

Thanks again.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:37 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

Very simple - pay more money, get more colors. Porsche options everything - this is one more thing to extract cash from your wallet. Means nothing about the car like red or yellow or green calipers would.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:20 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

Originally Posted by leftlane
Very simple - pay more money, get more colors. Porsche options everything - this is one more thing to extract cash from your wallet. Means nothing about the car like red or yellow or green calipers would.
Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Center cap question. Do black versus color crest mean anything?