Notices

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 09:27 PM
loliea
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Given the proximity to San Jose, how much of that route has residential?

Thanks.

Karl.
From the west after Shannon you have few driveways then a stable which is clearly indicated (20 MPH speed limit) before arriving at the reservoir. Then from the reservoir to New Almaden you just have few secondary roads or dirt trails ending on this road.

Elie
Old 09-24-2017, 10:32 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by loliea
From the west after Shannon you have few driveways then a stable which is clearly indicated (20 MPH speed limit) before arriving at the reservoir. Then from the reservoir to New Almaden you just have few secondary roads or dirt trails ending on this road.

Elie
I did a recon run on it this afternoon.

And I've added your recommendation to the top post:

• loliea's recommendation:

And then here's the stretch (also added to the top) where you're past the residential:

Thanks.

Karl.
    Old 09-26-2017, 08:55 PM
    caysraff
    AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Archimedes
    PSA to those unfamiliar: McKean/Uvas/Watsonville road be very smart about your pace. There is often sheriff presence on that road and, aside from not getting a ticket yourself, the last thing we all need is more enforcement there because too many people are playing ricky racer. It's a nice road to keep a decent pace down without going crazy. Also, warning to be careful of your sightlines and passes on that road, as it has numerous spots that can be very deceiving as to how much room you have.
    Spot on.

Hey - I know you from BARF. Good to see you here as well.
    Old 09-27-2017, 08:02 PM
    Archimedes
    Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by caysraff
    Spot on.

Hey - I know you from BARF. Good to see you here as well.
    If you're going from my screen name, you got the right person. If you're going from my avatar, you got the wrong one. I stole it from the famous Ant on BARF.
    Old 09-27-2017, 08:28 PM
    caysraff
    AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Archimedes
    If you're going from my screen name, you got the right person. If you're going from my avatar, you got the wrong one. I stole it from the famous Ant on BARF.
    Haha...Yep, recognized both the screen name and the avatar.
    Old 09-27-2017, 09:05 PM
    DesmoSD
    Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Lake Berryessa to Hwy 29 near Calistoga, to Angwin then grab some lunch in Napa! Brand new pavement near Knoxville and a a bunch of twisties. It's beautiful out there. Man, I miss living in the Bay Area.

BARF member checking in too!

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6454.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Old 10-01-2017, 08:46 PM
    wjk_glynn
    RL Community Team
    Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
    Lake Berryessa to Hwy 29 near Calistoga, to Angwin then grab some lunch in Napa! Brand new pavement near Knoxville and a a bunch of twisties. It's beautiful out there. Man, I miss living in the Bay Area.

BARF member checking in too!

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.6454.../data=!3m1!1e3
    Does this capture your route?

https://goo.gl/maps/yxBt66dncoA2

Thanks.

Karl.
    Old 10-01-2017, 11:56 PM
    david
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks.

Karl.
    My .02 cents: if you add the roll west from Winters to the intersection of 128/Berryessa-Knoxville on your map, you'll add 997 more smiles!

Beware: if you do ride 128 W from Winters, the road just west of the Glory Hole can be treacherous with much surface issues and uphill off-camber turns with steep drop offs, so stay safe.

P.S. the route that you shared gets even better if you head up to Geyserville and find Skaggs Springs Rd/Stewart's Spring Rd to Manchester (but I bet that you already knew that!)!!!

Follow the road...
    Old 10-02-2017, 02:33 PM
    DesmoSD
    Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Thanks.

Karl.
    Originally Posted by david
    My .02 cents: if you add the roll west from Winters to the intersection of 128/Berryessa-Knoxville on your map, you'll add 997 more smiles!

Beware: if you do ride 128 W from Winters, the road just west of the Glory Hole can be treacherous with much surface issues and uphill off-camber turns with steep drop offs, so stay safe.

P.S. the route that you shared gets even better if you head up to Geyserville and find Skaggs Springs Rd/Stewart's Spring Rd to Manchester (but I bet that you already knew that!)!!!

Follow the road...
    This is actually the route I used to ride with the guys on BARF and the NorCal Ducati Owners Club. We start off at the Starbucks off Green Valley, loop around the lake, back country and back through Napa.

It's an awesome route for motos so I'm sure it's just as fun in a Porsche. The pavement leading up from Suisun Valley to Knoxville Berryessa is minty fresh and full of nice twisties. We stop off at Buster's BBQ for lunch.

After lunch, we'll detour and cut through Angwin to Pope Valley then back down Hwy 29 and do that a few times.
    Attached Images  
    Old 10-11-2017, 06:16 PM
    wjk_glynn
    RL Community Team
    Rennlist Member

Thanks david and DesmoSD.

I'll update the top post when I get a chance this weekend...
    Old 10-15-2017, 01:23 PM
    wjk_glynn
    RL Community Team
    Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
    Lake Berryessa to Hwy 29 near Calistoga, to Angwin then grab some lunch in Napa! Brand new pavement near Knoxville and a a bunch of twisties.
    Hey DesmoSD & david,

Does this capture that combined route?

https://goo.gl/maps/AicGhLze7gD2

I actually don't know these roads at all (I live down in San Jose).

So unfortunately I need an explicit "take road X, then road Y, then road Z..." to create Google maps URLs for the top post...

Then as regards the route posted by DesmoSD in post #54, that seems to be a different one than I originally understood from post #51.

Thanks.

Karl.
    Old 10-20-2017, 11:38 PM
    wjk_glynn
    RL Community Team
    Rennlist Member

Hey DesmoSD & david,

Does this capture that combined route?

https://goo.gl/maps/AicGhLze7gD2

I went with that one, and updated the top post accordingly. If it's not correct, just let me know...

Also added the following recommendation from M3 Post:

Karl.
    Old 10-21-2017, 10:53 AM
    david
    Addict
    Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I went with that one, and updated the top post accordingly. If it's not correct, just let me know...

Also added the following recommendation from M3 Post:

Karl.
    Hey Karl...sorry for the late reply...here is the route from Pt Reyes Station:

https://goo.gl/yWVX2y

I prefer the S>N and then E of this route. Let me know if you have any questions...
    Old 10-21-2017, 06:59 PM
    wjk_glynn
    RL Community Team
    Rennlist Member

Hey Karl...sorry for the late reply...here is the route from Pt Reyes Station:

https://goo.gl/yWVX2y

I prefer the S>N and then E of this route. Let me know if you have any questions...
    Not at all, and thanks the route details.

It's been added to the top post...
    Old 11-25-2017, 11:17 AM
    jnolan
    Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

I live in Woodside and the drives up to Skyline and down the other side are solid. I have done them on motorcycles, Cobra, E63, and Carrera GTS, pretty much every Sunday except when it rains. Coffee at Alice’s and then figure it out from there.

notes:
    - Kings Mountain is a much more enjoyable drive than 84 but you have to hit it early or you will be fighting with the cyclists. There is a good chance that you will get behind a Prius but there are several legal passing zones and a few others that are not legal but safe.
    - I use a GoPro to document what is happening, I don’t trust the cyclists who haul *** down Kings Mountain and take the turns wide.
    - There are lots of blind corners and hairpins, assume a cyclists is beyond the apex of each one but the drive has good visibility and only one section of road that is hairball narrow.
    - At the top of Kings Mountain you have 3 options, go left and end up at Alice’s, go right and hit 92, or straight and go down Tunitas Creek to the coast. Tunitas Creek is a bumpy road but not nearly as bad as Page Mill because Tunitas Creek was resurfaced a few years ago for a national bicycle race. Going down Tunitas Creek is more fun than coming up it, IMO.
    - Alice’s... get there early. Parking is getting really bad.
    - I like the drive down 84 to Apple Jacks but much prefer the section from Apple Jacks out to San Gregorio.
    - In San Gregorio, turn right at the General Store and take Stage Coach Road out to Hwy 1.
    - At Alice’s you can also just head south on Skyline to Page Mill and back to the Bay or right on Alpine and head out to the coast, which is another fun drive, or continue south on Skyline to 9 and into Saratoga or the other way to Boulder Creek / Felton.
    - Head down 9 and go straight into Big Basin instead of left at the stop sign. Big Basin is a relaxing drive by you will hit traffic on weekends, from Big Basin you can continue on to Boulder Creek.
    - Skyline is closed past 9 for repairs from last winters storms. I don’t know the ET for re-opening.
    - In Boulder Creek you can take Bear Creek Road and you will end up on 17 at the Lexington Reservoir.
    - avoid 84 up the moutain to Alice’s.... it is truly a miserable drive.
    - Old La Honda Road is south of Alice’s and a fun drive that will drop you off in Portola Valley.

Word of caution about this area in general, when there is a marine layer the trees catch a lot of water that will make the roads wet when everything else is dry. It can be hazardous so drive accordingly... however when it’s clear and cold down in the flatlands, the heat rises up and it can be a solid 10-15 degrees warmer up on Skyline. Just know that the climate is very unique and even on Skyline you can hit what feels like rain as you get closer to Hwy 92 while it’s mini heat wave down by Alice’s.

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?