Notices

SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:13 PM
rw99
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you, everyone, for this list. Some favorites on it; some new roads to explore!

Rich
Old 05-04-2019, 09:39 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Earlier today I finally got to drive some of the Marin roads recommended in this thread as part of a PCA GGR fun run to The Racers Group.

https://goo.gl/maps/qWAkSpSe2wS2 (~67-miles)

Starting at a Safeway in San Rafael, the first leg took us west along Lucas Valley Rd. to Nicasio Valley Rd., up to Pt. Reyes - Petaluma Rd., west again to Shoreline / Hwy-1, up to the community of Marshall. Nice roads, good surfaces, and lots of scenery. Because we left at 9:30 am we did encounter typical traffic, and there's not an insignificant amount of residential in parts along the way. But I'd imagine a crack-of-dawn run would be great.

The second leg took us inland on Marshall-Petaluma Rd. over to Chileno Valley Rd., then up to Tomales Rd. Here the road surfaces were quite a bit rougher, but not horrible. The upside was far less traffic, so the cars could be given free rein.

Tomales Rd. took us over to Petaluma where The Racers Group is located. There we met Kevin Buckler, got a shop tour & tech talk, had lunch, did a little wine tasting - a very nice way to spend a Saturday.

Karl.

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 05-05-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:14 PM
Two718s
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Another road for you all

Hi all, first post from me. Writing this from Alice's with my brand new 718 Cayman S parked outside after a spirited run from 92 down Skyline to 9 and back 😎 Thanks to this thread for all the great ideas!

Here's another one: the other Skyline Blvd, in Oakland. I actually live on this road and it's a fun, albeit short, run, from Golf Links Road to Redwood Road. Maybe 3.5 miles but lots of smooth curves and great views. The only issue are the many driveways leading to the road. But early on a weekend morning, or mid-day on a weekday, it's usually deserted. To get there, take 580 to Golf Links Road (or Redwood Road) and jump on Skyline.

I saw that some other posters recommend Redwood Road (intersects with Skyline). A word of caution, even at oh-dark-thirty on weekends it is absolutely jammed with bicycles. Also, Pinehurst looks good on the map but is very narrow, rough in spots and the curves are so tight that it's usually hard to go more than 30 mph at best.

Anyhow, thanks for the great ideas. We bought a new 718 Boxster last year and a new 718 Cayman S last month, so it's time to find them places to stretch their legs
Old 05-05-2019, 02:59 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Two718s
...I saw that some other posters recommend Redwood Road (intersects with Skyline). A word of caution, even at oh-dark-thirty on weekends it is absolutely jammed with bicycles. Also, Pinehurst looks good on the map but is very narrow, rough in spots and the curves are so tight that it's usually hard to go more than 30 mph at best.
Thanks, I'll add your notes in due course.

Originally Posted by Two718s
...the other Skyline Blvd, in Oakland. I actually live on this road and it's a fun, albeit short, run, from Golf Links Road to Redwood Road. Maybe 3.5 miles but lots of smooth curves and great views. The only issue are the many driveways leading to the road. But early on a weekend morning, or mid-day on a weekday, it's usually deserted.
Does this capture it?

https://goo.gl/maps/7PitaMKwXRnaL5vA6

Thanks.

Karl.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:51 PM
Two718s
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn
Thanks, I'll add your notes in due course.

Does this capture it?

https://goo.gl/maps/7PitaMKwXRnaL5vA6

Thanks.

Karl.
Yes! Exactly. Thank you for doing that, I wasn't sure how to get Google to show that route.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:13 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks.

I've updated the top post accordingly.

Karl.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:28 PM
WaddyP
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive all over Bonny Doon on a regular basis, it is my go to local drive. Finally they have filled in a lot of pot holes, I bent a front rim on one!
Old 05-28-2019, 11:31 PM
chase15
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 74 Posts

I took the Range Rover at the dealership in Redwood City today for service and I got an Imapala as a loaner car. I've decided to go down to Saratoga and took Highway 9 going back north. It's my first time driving on the road. I stopped at a vineyard before I continued driving up and I cannot wait to take my 981S back on it. I continued on 35 thru Alice and then 84. Out to Highway 1 then I drove back home. It was a beautiful road to drive. Here's a pic that I took up at Skyline.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:55 PM
iphilips
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Bayschleife - Bay Area Ring Road

Also, been thinking. We need a Bayschleife. A Bay Area ring route.

It's pretty easy to link Sonoma/Marin/South Bay.. but would like to close the gap from South to East and then back north to Sonoma/Marin. Obviously on fun roads and minimal highway.

So how to get from near Santa Cruz back to say mines road. And then from the top of mines road back to Sonoma/Napa.

Up to hear people's own ideas in this Bayschleife and places to eat on the way 😀

Old 06-22-2019, 08:39 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Added...

Points further away from the SF Bay Area
  • East

Karl.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iphilips
Also, been thinking. We need a Bayschleife. A Bay Area ring route.

It's pretty easy to link Sonoma/Marin/South Bay.. but would like to close the gap from South to East and then back north to Sonoma/Marin. Obviously on fun roads and minimal highway.

So how to get from near Santa Cruz back to say mines road. And then from the top of mines road back to Sonoma/Napa.

Up to hear people's own ideas in this Bayschleife and places to eat on the way 😀
that would be interesting, I've lost interest in Mines Rd and Mt. Hamilton, the road surface is really rough at places, and Mt. Hamilton is so full of cyclists. Anyway, CA-9 to Skyline to 82 to Half Moon Bay. Then CA-1 to SF where you can pick up Skyline again to the Great Highway along Ocean Beach. This turns into Point Lobos way, then take a left on to 34th ave to EL Camino Del Mar to Lincoln Blvd to the Golden Gate Bridge. I think there would be a way through the Headlands to get to Stinson Beach but I don't know. How would you then get to Sonoma from CA-1?
Old 06-23-2019, 09:37 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by pilfer
that would be interesting, I've lost interest in Mines Rd and Mt. Hamilton, the road surface is really rough at places, and Mt. Hamilton is so full of cyclists. Anyway, CA-9 to Skyline to 82 to Half Moon Bay. Then CA-1 to SF where you can pick up Skyline again to the Great Highway along Ocean Beach. This turns into Point Lobos way, then take a left on to 34th ave to EL Camino Del Mar to Lincoln Blvd to the Golden Gate Bridge. I think there would be a way through the Headlands to get to Stinson Beach but I don't know. How would you then get to Sonoma from CA-1?
There is not a through road via the Marin Headlands to points north so best to exit US-101 N at the the 1st Mill Valley exit and follow CA-1 (Shoreline Hwy) north. As you may know, you can follow CA-1 north to Legget (where it hooks up with US-101. There are a number of other roads in Sonoma county (or Mendocino county) that head east...
Old 06-23-2019, 11:36 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by david
There is not a through road via the Marin Headlands to points north so best to exit US-101 N at the the 1st Mill Valley exit and follow CA-1 (Shoreline Hwy) north. As you may know, you can follow CA-1 north to Legget (where it hooks up with US-101. There are a number of other roads in Sonoma county (or Mendocino county) that head east...
I grew up on Edgewood road, I think the way over the mountain is more fun than shoreline all the way. I live in the south bay so I would be taking 9 and skyline. Maybe we can set a date for a cruise? Incidentally I was sick the last couple days and didn't get out to the autocross I signed up for today, itching to take the car for a drive
Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

I grew up on Edgewood road, I think the way over the mountain is more fun than shoreline all the way. I live in the south bay so I would be taking 9 and skyline. Maybe we can set a date for a cruise? Incidentally I was sick the last couple days and didn't get out to the autocross I signed up for today, itching to take the car for a drive
I too like Panoramic over Mt Tam BUT it is best up hill from Stinson Beach > Mill Valley. Shoreline is in pretty good shape from Mill Valley > Stinson Beach.

There are a number of us in the North Bay so suggest some dates and someone will be able to join...
Old 06-25-2019, 01:49 PM
rw99
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that would be interesting, I've lost interest in Mines Rd and Mt. Hamilton, the road surface is really rough at places, and Mt. Hamilton is so full of cyclists.
This really disappoints me... I haven't driven those roads in a couple of years and was just thinking that I should revisit that route. Would you say the issues with the road surface are mostly potholes, or irregular patching, or debris...?

Thanks,

Rich

Quick Reply: SF Bay Area - Best driving roads for a Sunday morning blast?