Notices

Tips/Guidance on bucket list drive around LA then to SF along coastline?

Old 06-16-2017, 12:38 AM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Tips/Guidance on bucket list drive around LA then to SF along coastline?

Hey all,

In the process of helping my dad acquire an Arena Red 993 C2 from Hennessy Porsche in Atlanta that I posted about in the 993 forums. We're both very excited about the car as we've never owned anything prior to the 996 generation and this is our first pre-owned purchase. We've always wanted to say we've owned a 993.

We're planning on shipping the car from Atlanta to LA, then fly to LA to pick the car up, drive around LA/some canyon roads/scenic drives for a day, then drive up the PCH and coast to SF if possible.

My dad lives and works in Silicon Valley, so the car's final destination is Silicon Valley.

The plan is one full day in and around greater LA, and two full days up from LA to SF with an overnight stay somewhere if we can do it in two days.

We don't really have any knowledge about this drive up to SF and where the awesome canyon roads and scenic drives are in greater LA for great shots of the car and to make some awesome memories.

Any and all input and advice would be great, we plan on making the trip to LA in approximately 3 weeks so I'm slowly starting to research everything now.

Thanks all!!

Sammy

Last edited by sampelligrino; 06-16-2017 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I'll try to post back again this weekend but I'll start by saying that the PCH Route 1 was shut down north of San Louis Obispo into SF earlier this year due a mudslide that buried the road. I guess the slide occurred near Big Sur.

But there are plenty of canyon roads just north of LA. IMHO I would avoid LA Driving as much as possible.

Also wouldn't it make more sense to start in SF and finish in SD if the car is ultimately going to Hawaii?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Hwy 1 cannot be used. Closed in two places, and not to be reopened for many months. No bypass.

A bit of highway driving, but consider taking 33 just north of Ventura (to Ojai), 58 at McKittrick over to 101, then 101 to King City. At King City, pick up the route to Carmel via Camel Valley Rd back to Hwy 1. I think you can pick this up at Greenfield, too. I'll post a map later.

Let me know more specific dates, and there's a group of us who may join you en route.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:59 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'll try to post back again this weekend but I'll start by saying that the PCH Route 1 was shut down north of San Louis Obispo into SF earlier this year due a mudslide that buried the road. I guess the slide occurred near Big Sur.

But there are plenty of canyon roads just north of LA. IMHO I would avoid LA Driving as much as possible.

Also wouldn't it make more sense to start in SF and finish in SD if the car is ultimately going to Hawaii?
Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Hwy 1 cannot be used. Closed in two places, and not to be reopened for many months. No bypass.

A bit of highway driving, but consider taking 33 just north of Ventura (to Ojai), 58 at McKittrick over to 101, then 101 to King City. At King City, pick up the route to Carmel via Camel Valley Rd back to Hwy 1. I think you can pick this up at Greenfield, too. I'll post a map later.

Let me know more specific dates, and there's a group of us who may join you en route.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, going to edit the original post as well, the car's final destination is going to be San Francisco where my old man lives and works for the time being in Silicon Valley.

Your tips and input are really appreciated, this is really a bucket list thing for us to do as father and son. After a fairly miserable start to 2017 we really decided that life is too short to wait sometimes and finally are working on something exciting that let's us spend some quality time together and away from things for a bit.

So keep the info coming, we plan on using it and will let you know what we plan!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:52 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Ltcj has it all covered.

His suggestion is likely the best possible way to travel from LA to SF (with the 1 being shut down). We've done it multiple times, and 33 as well as Carmel road shall not be missed.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:49 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's my suggestion

(ed: posted incorrectly. I'll repost later.)

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 06-19-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:13 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Here's my suggestion

(ed: posted incorrectly. I'll repost later.)
Hehe let me know!!

Thanks all again for the input. Still no set timeframe for the drive from LA to SF but we've finally finished all the paperwork for the 993 and it's set to be sent to the shop to get some work done over the next couple weeks then will ship it to LA.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:20 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try this
https://goo.gl/maps/7KX3y8a1Ka82
Old 06-23-2017, 06:49 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Thanks!!! I'll circle back here but that seems to be a solid route. Appreciate it.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:39 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Again, let us know dates of travel, and, if you want company, I'm sure we can gather up a few to join in.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:21 PM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Again, let us know dates of travel, and, if you want company, I'm sure we can gather up a few to join in.
Depending on the date I'd be down to participate on the 33 out of Ojai.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:42 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Interesting anomaly with that Maps link. If I open it on my W10 desktop, it shows correctly. If I open it on my Android tablet or phone it shows incorrectly. I think that's why I deleted it per my post above.

To be sure, between Ojai and McKittrick, stay on 33; at McKittrick get on 58 to 101 to Atascadero. Do not go 33 to 46 to 101.

BTW, did you buy the 993?

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 06-24-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts

take the 1 out of LA past Malibu and run some of the canyons...Decker, Topanga Cyn, Encinal Cyn, and of course Mulholland.

you can jump to the 101 from there.
Old 07-08-2017, 05:55 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Hey all - sorry for the delayed response. The 993 was indeed purchased and my old man is very excited about it

Bought from Hennessy Porsche in GA, and now at Goldcrest Motorsports nearby getting work done to get it refreshed. No idea yet on ETA but will keep the thread posted! Once it's done at Goldcrest we will have the car shipped from GA to Los Angeles, and then the plan will remain the same to maybe drive around some canyons for a day and check out some city sights, then the following day make the drive up to SF.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:30 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

198, from I-5 Coalinga (Harris Ranch) to Hwy 101 (San Lucas/King City) is a favorite. GGR has done day drives there from Hollister on Hwy 25 with lunch at Harris Ranch.......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips/Guidance on bucket list drive around LA then to SF along coastline?