Notices

Does California issue temporary registrations/tags?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 01:31 PM
naveeds786
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Does California issue temporary registrations/tags?

Hey everyone,

I'm a New Yorker and recently purchased a new vehicle from California. The car was shipped to me by the dealer, but was shipped without any registration. I was told by the dealer that CA does not issue temp registration to non-residents. They are having a 3rd party company register the car for me in NY, but I'm not sure how long it is going to take.

In the meantime, I'd like to drive the car without any issue. I went to the NY DMV to get a temp registration tag, but without the title (which I don't have yet and which I believe either Porsche financial or the 3rd party company the dealer hired to take care of the registration has in their possession), they can't do anything for me.

I wanted to verify with someone familiar with CA DMV rules the info provided by the dealer. Does CA issue temp registration at all? If so, is it restricted to only residents of CA or can a temp registration be issued to non-residents?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:19 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Can't answer your question with authority, but do know CA issues temporary operating permits (TOP). See them all the time. Google that for more info.

However, reasonable that they would not offer one for a car being shipped out of state. The TOP is issued until full CA registration requirements are met. They can't issue a TOP for other states.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:33 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You must have either a purchase agreement or bill of sale. Either of those documents should suffice the NY DMV.
Old 08-28-2016, 02:47 PM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Contact your local DMV in NY. In CA, pay the sales tax within 10 days of purchase to DMV even without the title in hand. Fill out the registration form. Otherwise, they'll charge you a 10% of the car value in late fee.
2. Contact the dealership in CA and ask for the title status. They might not have the title in hand because the bank has it (can take several weeks for them to received them and send it to you). In the end, you need the title to register your car.
3. You should be able to drive around with the proof of bill of sale from dealership.
4. Get a smog certificate (at least in CA, it's a requirement for registration...even if purchased from a dealership).
5. In CA, a visual car inspection from DMV is required. Check your local DMV.

The most important part with the registration process is to make sure you pay the sales tax to DMV to avoid a late fee. In CA, DMW issue a temporary registration if you have the title in hand and pay the sales tax.
Old 08-30-2016, 09:31 AM
naveeds786
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great advice all around. So I went to NY DMV with the bill of sale and they were unable to give me temp registration without the title. Also, I was pulled over on the way home and issued 3 tickets for no registration/plates/inspection

My dealer did collect tax from me, but not for CA. They are giving the tax to a 3rd party company which will register the car for me in NY....but obviously it's taking much longer than expected. The car will have to sit until I get plates/tags as I don't want to risk getting another ticket.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:33 PM
RRSLLC
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Your dealer should really have taken care of this for you, or at least provide instructions.

Quick Reply: Does California issue temporary registrations/tags?