Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:17 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 91 Posts
Default Mt Hamilton Rd, CA 130

Hi

Anyone driven on the Mt Hamilton Rd, SJ to Livermore or the reverse, over the last couple of weeks? We're planning a drive over it, but one of our guys was told the road has just recently been chip-sealed, and we should avoid it. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 12:21 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, recently chipped and the rock is very, very loose. I would stay far, far away until the hot summer months reheat the oil placed under the chip and the stone get kneaded in some.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:54 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks
Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM
jennifer911
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Chipseal paving is third world technology. As a bicycle racer, I hated courses that included these roads. 23mm tires @ 100psi and a racing bike with no suspension produced a very clattering rough ride and sketchy traction on fast downhill sections. Politicos sternly chide us for contributing to global warming; even banning inconsequential things like auto paints with a whiff of volatile organic compounds etc. (they will gleefully substitute cheaper, but short term options like chip seal in order to divert gas tax money to pet projects). One irony of this is the solvents used in the bitumen and crude asphaltum components of the process breath out volatile organic compounds bathing the atmosphere with greenhouse gas components.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:06 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by jennifer911
Chipseal paving is third world technology. As a bicycle racer, I hated courses that included these roads. 23mm tires @ 100psi and a racing bike with no suspension produced a very clattering rough ride and sketchy traction on fast downhill sections. Politicos sternly chide us for contributing to global warming; even banning inconsequential things like auto paints with a whiff of volatile organic compounds etc. (they will gleefully substitute cheaper, but short term options like chip seal in order to divert gas tax money to pet projects). One irony of this is the solvents used in the bitumen and crude asphaltum components of the process breath out volatile organic compounds bathing the atmosphere with greenhouse gas components.

its a great way to maintain a rural road. rather have a chip seal than simply a patch pave job. im glad the state is maintaining such a rural roadway for future canyon runs when the aggregate is kneaded in like I note above. such a remote area a full AC overlay is not practical with distances needing to be covered to get the material to the site and maintain temperature required for compaction. this even with the batch plant in sunol.

JB
public works inspector
Old 04-07-2016, 08:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Agree. While chipsealing sucks right after its done, once the stones bed in, it's way better than some of the other options they've used over the years and saves a ton of money. Would much rather have a chipsealed road than some of the tar snake repaired messes we have around here.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:39 PM
achatgrau
Intermediate

So glad I found this thread. I was planning on driving CA 130 as one of the first trips with my Cayman.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-07-2016, 02:42 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by achatgrau
So glad I found this thread. I was planning on driving CA 130 as one of the first trips with my Cayman.

Thanks for the heads up!
If you're looking for a good break-in road, try 25 south out of Hollister to Coalinga.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 PM
BigATC
3rd Gear

Just watch out for slow moving tractors pulling equipment around Hollister
Old 05-07-2016, 10:22 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

25 is a wicked road. Many 90 degree turns so be careful to enter slow.

Also, I recommend going with at least another car as there is no cell reception there (as with many other roads like mt Hamilton)
Old 05-07-2016, 11:16 PM
achatgrau
Intermediate

Good suggestion / advice. I've never driven down that way. I'll have to check it out.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:02 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

you can always go mines rd from Livermore and go east at the junction on del Puerto rd to Patterson instead of 130 up the back side of Hamilton. I have not driven del Puerto to Patterson in a few years, but it was the best stretch of road I have ever found back in the day. pavement quality is questionable in some areas, but since it on the down side of the hill it only hurts under braking, some. ive driven it from Patterson back to mines rd and its much worse under power going up the hill with the pavement failures. still plenty of good pavement with few bicyclists as its so out in the middle of nowhere.

to get back to the bay area from Patterson go north on 5 to corral hollow rd west back to Livermore, or stay on 5 north a bit further to catch 205 to 580 west back to the tri-valley 680 interchange. a great afternoon of driving to be sure.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:06 PM
achatgrau
Intermediate

Probably of no surprise, but my friend just drove CA130 last weekend and reports that it's still full of loose rocks.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:44 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by juanbenae
yes, recently chipped and the rock is very, very loose. I would stay far, far away until the hot summer months reheat the oil placed under the chip and the stone get kneaded in some.
No surprise per juanbenae's earlier post.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:45 PM
juanbenae
Instructor

Originally Posted by achatgrau
Probably of no surprise, but my friend just drove CA130 last weekend and reports that it's still full of loose rocks.

hopefully your friend drove a good line to knead the stone in where we need it stuck...

I drove the mines to del Puerto road and few weeks ago and DP is pretty bad in some areas. I just slowed down and looked around in the areas where the road was bad dodging potholes. many pothole patching attempts with newer, more oil laden AC provides enough of a color discrepancy you know when to slow & avoid with a lick of sense.. there are still plenty of good miles there to drive spirited going east from the junction. the last 10 miles to hwy 5 are still very good, with the last few being a true test of your confidence with fast sweeping, and in some cases very blind, big elevation change turns.

ive turned around and drove back 5-6 miles to simply turn around and drive it again before heading home. its that fun.

Quick Reply: Mt Hamilton Rd, CA 130