Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   West US Rennlist Region (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region-97/)
-   -   SF to LA road trip with wife (advice needed) (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region/914442-sf-to-la-road-trip-with-wife-advice-needed.html)

Cabarnak 01-20-2016 11:46 AM

SF to LA road trip with wife (advice needed)

Hi guys,

I heard that the drive from SF to LA is really nice and I'd like to check it out. I will be with my wife, have about a week to spare, I'd prefer not to rush, take week and sleep in nice hotels/inns along the way.

Ideally, I would also drive a decent car if possible :rockon: Avis and Hertz usually have some good options for sports cars, but I figured there might be local options too (?).

Any recommendations (route, hotels, things we need to see/visit, etc...) would be very appreciated.

Thanks!!

goin2drt 01-20-2016 12:22 PM

Just take the 1 the whole way. The most beautiful drive in the country.

Stop and see
Monterey
Big Sur
Morro Bay
Hearst Castle
Stay a night in Cambria
Solvang
Pismo Beach
Santa Barbara
Malibu

And the list goes on. We did it the other direction and took a week. Everyone should do it once in their life.

Enjoy.

Cabarnak 01-20-2016 02:36 PM

Thanks @goin2drt!

Car-wise, any recommendations that might make things a bit more fun?

MKIVdan 01-20-2016 05:43 PM

goin2drt has it all down. That is a good drive and those spots are awesome to stop at.
Cambria is a really nice place.

I live close to Malibu and the drive down the 1 from Malibu to Santa Monica is 27 miles of scenic ocean views.

In the begining on the drive in Malibu you can stop at Neptunes Net (fast and furious 1 filming location) and enjoy some seafood. If you happen to end up there during the weekend, expect to see a lot of motorcycles and awesome cars.

IF you want to get a bit more interesting while in Malibu. You can go up a road called Kanan Road up to Mulholland road nicknamed the snake and you will be in for a treat..... motorcycles and super cars, but be sure to be there on a weekend, saturday or sunday and in the morning.

Mailbu is filled with awesome canyon roads that people drive throughout the weekend and you will see a ton of P-cars.

Below, a video of Mulholland hwy in Malibu

ipse dixit 01-20-2016 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cabarnak (Post 12943427)
Thanks @goin2drt!

This will make it more fun. And probably more than just a bit. :thumbup:

Alansglide 01-20-2016 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by MKIVdan (Post 12943938)
goin2drt has it all down. That is a good drive and those spots are awesome to stop at.
Cambria is a really nice place.

I live close to Malibu and the drive down the 1 from Malibu to Santa Monica is 27 miles of scenic ocean views.

In the begining on the drive in Malibu you can stop at Neptunes Net (fast and furious 1 filming location) and enjoy some seafood. If you happen to end up there during the weekend, expect to see a lot of motorcycles and awesome cars.

IF you want to get a bit more interesting while in Malibu. You can go up a road called Kanan Road up to Mulholland road nicknamed the snake and you will be in for a treat..... motorcycles and super cars, but be sure to be there on a weekend, saturday or sunday and in the morning.

Mailbu is filled with awesome canyon roads that people drive throughout the weekend and you will see a ton of P-cars.

Below, a video of Mulholland hwy in Malibu

Nice Cars on Mulholland - YouTube

Here's a link that tells you a little more about the "Snake" .

http://www.twistypedia.com/roads/usa...lland-highway/

goin2drt 01-20-2016 09:08 PM

Thanks @goin2drt!

Car-wise. Big Sur is a fun area of the 1. Pay attention. So many places to stop off and get great car photos with the ocean.

Definitely take a GoPro and strap that on the car.

Many off the canyon roads as mentions near Malibu are awesome. Malibu Canyon, Kanan Road, Mulholland Dr. (famous), Topanga Canyon. Really many of those roads should be taken on the weekends so they can be spirited. Some are used for commuters during the week.

Don't be afraid to just jump off in any town. Safety is not a concern. Towns like Harmony etc are awesome. Quick little stretch of the legs on be on your way.

Hearst Castle is a must see if you haven't. If you have well then cruise on by.

The main suggestion here. Have a decent camera, plenty of memory cards and charged batteries. Enjoy!

ltcjmramos 01-21-2016 11:11 AM

When? Over the next three months, thankfully, we'll be "enjoying" the benefits of El Niņo winter rains. Still quite the beautiful drive, but a bit less enjoyable in heavy rain.

Rent a V6 Mustang from Hertz, convertible if after April, coupe if before, IMO. If you're looking for something more along the lines of a Porsche, search here for places to rent those. It's been asked before.

Also, if you want a little Porsche company, let us know when you're coming through. If possible, we'll gather a group to accompany you partway. See post #63 and a few following here https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...ad-trip-5.html

To add to the above, if you have time, Carmel Valley Rd is a kick. But means you'd have to make a u-turn at Hwy 101, which, IMO, would be ok.

BTW, the trip SF to LA on Hwy 1, straight through with stops to eat/gas/pee at a brisk pace is 10 hours, more leisurely, 12. Done it a few times, 2 wheels and 4.

Archimedes 01-21-2016 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by ipse dixit (Post 12943976)
This will make it more fun. And probably more than just a bit. :thumbup:

Someone needs to punch that guy in the nads for doing that video and telling everyone about that road.

First rule of fight club.

ZX9RCAM 01-21-2016 03:32 PM

Thanks @goin2drt!

Don't take your wife!

j/k

Cabarnak 01-21-2016 09:39 PM

Thanks so much for all the replies guys! There's no doubt that your contributions will help make this a memorable trip.

I am planning on renting a 2014 Boxter S w/ pdk and planned on passing through the Malibu area on Saturday. It pretty much sounds like a perfect setup to take Kanan Road up to Mulholland road...

@z9rcam you're right, but that would have been a tough sale ;-)

@ltcjmramos We're flying out to SFO this Sunday...I know this might not be the best time of year, but we chose to get away while we had a chance. Hopefully, El Nino will take a break for a week. Also, I really appreciate your proposal for Porsche company! For some reason, I don't have access to the link you posted.

Lastly, should I bring my good ol' Passport 9500i ? Pretty good with radar guns, not so much with lidar guns...(i.e are troopers using lidar or radar in the area?)

ltcjmramos 01-21-2016 11:04 PM

No rain in the forecast for the week, not in No CA nor in So CA!!! We just had a few days of rain, but you're hitting it right.

Unfortunately, I probably can't join you on Sunday as we're having our annual car-guy (about 15 of us) gathering the next couple of days starting with a dinner out Fri night, a day outing Saturday, and a dinner at our home Saturday night. Our Saturday outing will probably be to the Blackhawk Museum instead of a planned drive because we will have rain the next two days.

When will you begin your travels south? Right from SFO, or will you be spending some time in SF first? If/when you come down Hwy 1 from SF, you will pass through my hometown Half Moon Bay. If possible, I can join you then. LMK when you think you'll be through, and I'll see if anyone else might be available. If you want the company, that is.

Radar detector is always useful, IMO.

In the Off Topic forum, search Bobbyc, then the thread on "updates from my road trip," then post #63 and several thereafter for a look at us locals.

djantlive 01-22-2016 01:55 AM

Hertz gold in SFO has boxster and Carrera. They also have jag f type, vettes and cameros.

Stop by half moon bay. There is a ritz Carlton. Then go east on 84 to Alice's (popular diner) in woodside. Take skyline road south until you reconnect to 17 and 1.

ltcjmramos 01-22-2016 09:58 AM

Ritz Carlton is very nice (read fancy).

Better places for lunch would be in Princeton, which is just before HMB. A sprint up 84 to Alice's would be good. Continuing on 35 is a fun run, but does take you away from the ocean. Big Sur is more spectacular, but the coast between HMB and Santa Cruz has a lot to offer, e.g., a lighthouse. 35 is definitely a more engaging drive, though.

doublecabmel 01-22-2016 02:07 PM

Also let's not forget the Madonna Inn in SLO. Whenever I drive to or from Nor Cal, I stop there for lunch or dinner.