Notices

S. CA Timing belt Party!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 03:24 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Devia
Hey people in AZ, Nevada and N. California, you are welcome to attend to, we aren't snobs!

- Julie
Sure we are...

Anyway, it turns out taht the latter weekend would work for me as well... thought there was something i had to be at, but i am gonna clear it out of the way for this.... Looking forward to learnin how to change my belts!!!
Old 09-26-2003, 01:13 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Moving this thread is not cool. Needs to be left in the 944 catagory. Or at least a top of page link to it.

Move it back!
Old 09-26-2003, 01:23 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Moving this thread is not cool. Needs to be left in the 944 catagory. Or at least a top of page link to it.

Move it back!
Yep. Took me a while to find this section of the forum.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:37 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

no, this new forum was my idea, and its well worth using...
Old 09-26-2003, 04:37 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

ARGH! I just paid my mechanic hella bank to do this less than a month ago! Argh!
Old 09-26-2003, 06:59 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Jonas Goldsmith
no, this new forum was my idea, and its well worth using...

This is libo -- the Kiss Of Death.

We see the girl friend problem stay.

We see repairing watches stay.

We see the JATO car myth stay.

We see Biggist Disapointement stay.

We see Free Astro's tickets stay.

We see Funny thing happened stay.

We see School presentation stay.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:04 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very good points, Socal; those are things I've been pretty much ignoring, because THOSE belong on OT!

- Julie
Old 09-27-2003, 09:24 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

It is EXTREMELY hard to navigate to this forum.

If you go to http://forums.rennlist.com this forum is not in the left column, or on the main page on the right side. You have to click on "All Discussion Forums", then scroll down to find it.

Here's to hoping that the "regional forum" stuff works out. I still think that events should have some kind of short-cut at the top of the relevant model forum (like 944) so you only have to check one place to see everything that's going on.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:20 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

I'm still not sure on the October 26th date... not sure if I could make it.

Coming up from San Diego, I also think that I will have to get there really early in order to let the car cool off before getting started.

That being said, I have done my belts before (but a long time ago - had someone else do them most recently), and I have a new (sitting in a box for 5 years) set of belts/seals/rollers. I need to check my maintenance records to see if I need to do them now.

I do need to do the cam tower seal - if I had everthing off, it might make sense to do it then.

I also have ramps, 4 jack stands, a metric tool set, wheel chocks, drop-lights, and other miscellaneous stuff. I can't find my flywheel lock, and my improvised 9200 tool to hold my balance shaft tensioner.

Some of the clarks-garage.com site should be required reading - and printouts should be brought along.

Belt (general information):

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-04.htm

Belt removal:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-05.htm

Belt installation:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-06.htm

Belt tensioning:

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/eng-10.htm

I am also the proud owner of the 924s/944 tune up maintenance video. It shows how to tension the belts, (not removal/installation), and removal of the accessory belts. It also shows things beyond the scope of this event. It is for 8v cars only. Please PM me for more details.

Kevin
Old 09-28-2003, 02:50 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I have a few extra sets of 3/8" bolts, jam nuts and spring washers to do the shifter pin replacement. I can bring the Mikita grinder and do shifter pint replacements. I'll have the bolt heads machined down.
Old 09-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm back from Vicodin land; I miss anything? Saved molar tooth, nice not to be in pain all the time.

Anyway, there's an easy way to change belts if you aren't doing the seals and waterpump. Takes hardly any time at all.

89magic98 - I'm a little concerned about you and your belts! Socal, Legoland951, if those belts have been sitting in a box for 5 years, are they still good!? Rubber does age, whether on or off the car! Also, 89magic98, you are suppose to CHANGE timing belt and balance belt every 2 years OR 60K miles, whichever comes first! Sounds like you are on borrowed time, so I am concerned.

Any other things we should be aware of? Need more tools? Anyone allergic to Pizza?

- Julie
Old 09-28-2003, 06:07 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

The belts were kept indoors in a box for the entire time. When you buy them, you have no clue how long they were on the shelf in the store, right?

Well, the most expensive aspect to the belt change (from a parts standpoint) is the rollers, which should not go bad in the box. All of the seals are in closed zip-lock bags.

Maybe I will buy another set of belts, and keep these in the car in case of emergency. Zims has excellent prices on belts - I have bought good quality belts from them before.

For belt changes, I always heard a mileage total - not an elapsed time total - unless the car is a garage queen.

As far as tools.. drop lights, and either creepers (to get under the car) or large carboard pieces (my personal favorite) would be handy. Then there's always hand cleaner, paper towels, and gloves.

-Kevin
Old 09-28-2003, 06:38 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

I have a light i could bring... so mark that off the list...

Zims??? Where are they and what are they??? I called inter and their prices were definately better than the dealer, but they were still expensive? I am doin about everything but the rollers...
Old 09-28-2003, 07:50 PM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

You should do the rollers. The very first belt change I did at 70,000 miles, the timing belt had very bad wear on the teeth on one size because of a siezed roller. It would be hard to detect a siezed roller otherwise (when all the belts are put back on), unless you catch a burning rubber smell after shutting the car off.

http://www.allzim.com

Zim's also advertises in Excellence Magazine.

They are in the Dallas - Ft. Worth area. When I lived there, I used to have my car serviced there.

Since then, I have mail-ordered a lot of basic maintenance parts from them. Prices are pretty fair, I know they don't ship garbage. For example:

944.105.157.04 Cam belt 924S, 944 all versions exc 16v 11.95
944.102.219.04 Balance shaft belt 924S, 944 all versions, 968 31.95
10X950 Belt, Power steering 7.00
6KX1000 Belt, A/C & alternator 12.00

They can also get stuff that is not on their web page.

Best to call them to place an order if you want to make sure you get it out that day. But the internet ordering works fairly well also.

-Kevin
Old 09-28-2003, 08:29 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Belts in temp controlled storage can last a long time. The mileage verses age thing is because of the belts sitting streached on the car. The bends around the pulleys don't like to be unbent if they have been siting a good length of time.

Also the heat from the engine and any oil will age the rubber.

Quick Reply: S. CA Timing belt Party!