Notices

Kanan vs Malibu Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:45 PM
nycjwi
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kanan vs Malibu Canyon

Was thinking of taking a spirited drive over one of these canyons early Sat or Sunday with radar detector. Anyone had any experience out there with the cops. Can anyone recommend any safer canyon drives (cops wise)?
Old 01-04-2015, 03:30 PM
lax01
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Cops in the canyons are always a risk...there's no telling where they are going to be. Malibu Canyon is a pretty well-traveled road...Kanan, less so. They are almost always on Mulholland near the Snake so be careful there
Old 01-09-2015, 02:09 AM
gt2urbo
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

neither, encinal to decker IMO the others to filled with cops
Old 01-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

go very early on a week day. cops cover most roads a LOT. Especially mulholland. not sure i've ever seen a cop: pch to los flores to piuma. Deer creek is good. Whatever you do, watch out on stunt, see as many cops hiding in driveways there as mulholland.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't do it on the weekends. I prefer late at night so you can use the whole road and see other cars coming via headlights. Not that I advocate this
Old 01-15-2015, 02:01 AM
Rob_G
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had two warnings on Kanan. Maybe it depends.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

maybe go on a morning when it would normally be rush hour, so the cops are otherwise occupied watching for accidents?
Old 01-19-2015, 01:55 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Whatever you do, please be super careful in these canyons especially at night or in early AM. There are animals like deer in the roads sometimes, and mixed with blind crests and corners that could be disastrous. Also some of these sections are residential. I've driven these hills all my life and still scare myself once in a while...
Old 09-03-2015, 06:07 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

My Valentine One radar always picks up cops. I never worry about it, always gives me plenty of warning. Do these cops use laser? Otherwise I would not think you would have to worry about it if you have radar. Am I wrong?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

Weekends in any of those canyons brings the bicycle problem also. The later in the morning you go , the larger the group you see.

Last time I ran stunt and Mulholland ( at about 8AM on a Sunday) , my detector give me a K band warning and a KA band warning. Don't remember which was which but one was an LA county sheriff and the other a hwy patrol.

Be careful out there
Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 PM
Greg Lab
Racer

Yes I am a cyclist also, so I give the riders a lot of room. I kind of go through the blind corners real slow, they could be around the curve, come around the turn, have clear sight of the road in front of me, maybe some "S's" in front of me, then hit it. I only go fast when I can see clear road. However, back to the radar, how do you get a ticket if you have radar? That's what Porsche big brakes are for
Old 09-07-2015, 01:34 PM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Lab
Yes I am a cyclist also, so I give the riders a lot of room. I kind of go through the blind corners real slow, they could be around the curve, come around the turn, have clear sight of the road in front of me, maybe some "S's" in front of me, then hit it. I only go fast when I can see clear road. However, back to the radar, how do you get a ticket if you have radar? That's what Porsche big brakes are for
Greg, the LA County Sheriff does use laser as well as simply watch from the side of the road for hooliganism or non street-legal vehicles/mods. However I do not find them very aggressively patrolling. For one thing, the area to cover is simply too large and they're more needed in the more populous areas. Second any high-speed pursuit could very quickly lead to death. I'm not sure I have EVER seen law enforcement in the canyons on weekday mornings.

Last weekend I took my race car out briefly (with a muffler) and passed two patrol cars. I'm sure they saw/heard but no hassles.

Quick Reply: Kanan vs Malibu Canyon