Notices

Petrolhead stuff to do/see/visit in California end of September?

 
Old 09-15-2014, 12:03 AM
  #16  
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ltcjmramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Breakfast at Dipsea Cafe after we meet at the GG Bridge, or is there something in Strawberry Village to have breakfast. Remind me, this is the strip mall near where Sonnen is located?

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 09-15-2014 at 09:07 AM.
ltcjmramos is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 09:33 PM
  #17  
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just barely on the Pacific Plate, CA
Posts: 1,343
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos View Post
Breakfast at Dipsea Cafe after we meet at the GG Bridge, or is there something in Strawberry Village to have breakfast. Remind me, this is the strip mall near where Sonnen is located?
Yes Strawberry is where Sonnen is located (or will be again once the new facility is completed).

Dipsea is fine.

(Another choice is the Parkside Cafe in Stinson.)

What time will be be meeting?

Do we know what our friend from Belgium will be piloting?!

Last edited by david; 09-15-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: additional text
david is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 09:38 PM
  #18  
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ltcjmramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Let's keep it Dipsea. We should be there by 7:30, could be a little earlier. Meeting at the VP at 7. Joris will be in a Camaro. BTW, Jay will be with us in his Vette.
ltcjmramos is offline  
Old 09-15-2014, 09:49 PM
  #19  
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just barely on the Pacific Plate, CA
Posts: 1,343
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos View Post
Let's keep it Dipsea. We should be there by 7:30, could be a little earlier. Meeting at the VP at 7. Joris will be in a Camaro. BTW, Jay will be with us in his Vette.
Dipsea it is.

I'll be a bit early.
david is offline  
Old 09-17-2014, 12:34 PM
  #20  
ir_fuel
Super User
Thread Starter
 
ir_fuel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,171
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I should be getting a Camaro SS convertible. A bit of a truck in the corners compared to what you (and I) are used to, but it sure beats your average rental.

BTW anything I should be worried about?

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-g-calif...htmlstory.html
ir_fuel is offline  
Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM
  #21  
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just barely on the Pacific Plate, CA
Posts: 1,343
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ir_fuel View Post
I should be getting a Camaro SS convertible. A bit of a truck in the corners compared to what you (and I) are used to, but it sure beats your average rental.

BTW anything I should be worried about?

http://www.latimes.com/la-me-g-calif...htmlstory.html
Yup, US 50 is closed so circumstances may alter your route.

As I suggested, I would take US 120 over Tioga Pass to US 395.

Continuing east on US 120 (past US 395) is also a very special road and you'll hardly see another vehicle for 75+ miles!

If you like, we can chat about this over breakfast on Friday...I sure wish that I was able to drive all the way to the Sierra with you, however my SO and I will be heading up to the Eastern Sierra on 9/25 for five days of climbing so I've got nothing to complain about.

P.S. We'll be gentle on your American Steel.
david is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 03:49 AM
  #22  
Comanche_699
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Comanche_699's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Santa Venetia, CA
Posts: 704
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I agree with David the 120 and also that Sonora Pass are amazing roads. My suggestion of skirting the 50 & taking Emigrant Trail seems perilous now, though I am tempted to drive up just to make some photos of the fire, it's getting big, not sure but I think I was looking at the giant plumes from it today, and I'm a few hours from Placerville.



Saw this smoke tonight just to the right of San Quentin. If that's the King Fire, that's some really big fire. I haven't heard anything about another fire that may be closer to us here.
Comanche_699 is offline  
Old 09-18-2014, 11:21 AM
  #23  
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just barely on the Pacific Plate, CA
Posts: 1,343
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Comanche_699 View Post
I agree with David the 120 and also that Sonora Pass are amazing roads. My suggestion of skirting the 50 & taking Emigrant Trail seems perilous now, though I am tempted to drive up just to make some photos of the fire, it's getting big, not sure but I think I was looking at the giant plumes from it today, and I'm a few hours from Placerville.



Saw this smoke tonight just to the right of San Quentin. If that's the King Fire, that's some really big fire. I haven't heard anything about another fire that may be closer to us here.
I can't see that from West Marin but it must be the King Fire...nasty!

Are you really going to drive up there?! When?
david is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 03:50 AM
  #24  
Comanche_699
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Comanche_699's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Santa Venetia, CA
Posts: 704
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

David I'm not sure if I'll get up to the sierras this weekend, I was thinking I'd gun for it, but work is conspiring to keep me close by. There is that 'concours' at Ledson Winery on Sunday that I may roll up for -

( http://zone77.org/node/296 ) but as yet undecided. I'm still reeling from the reality that I'm not down in Texas already and getting ready to watch the 919's duke it out as well as the factory RSR's at COTA.

I hope to join you guys at Dipsea in the morning, but I also realize that if you're all meeting there 7:30, and then sitting down to breakfast that the window of 'no priuses / no highway patrol / no park rangers' gets much smaller, as they all like to charge up that mountain starting around 8:30 and I've got to get back to the studio by 9:30 the latest, so we'll see how it plays when the alarm goes off in the morning - but I do hope to see you guys.

If I ain't there - have yourselves a blast, and everyone remember to pump the brakes when you come up on that little school by the Bolinas Lagoon if you're rolling by after 8am.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Good times. Hope to see you all in the morning.

- Dan
Comanche_699 is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 AM
  #25  
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
david's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Just barely on the Pacific Plate, CA
Posts: 1,343
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Dan (et al): I'm with you re not sitting down at Dipsea and instead, get a start driving. We could make it to Pt. Reyes and grab some food at Bovine.

I plan to be at Dipsea at 7:15...I'll text you when I leave Inverness...

FWIW I've seen the CHP out earlier than 8:30.

If I don't see you this AM will chat about Ledson.

P.S. Thanks for the Bolinas reminder!

Originally Posted by Comanche_699 View Post
David I'm not sure if I'll get up to the sierras this weekend, I was thinking I'd gun for it, but work is conspiring to keep me close by. There is that 'concours' at Ledson Winery on Sunday that I may roll up for -

( http://zone77.org/node/296 ) but as yet undecided. I'm still reeling from the reality that I'm not down in Texas already and getting ready to watch the 919's duke it out as well as the factory RSR's at COTA.

I hope to join you guys at Dipsea in the morning, but I also realize that if you're all meeting there 7:30, and then sitting down to breakfast that the window of 'no priuses / no highway patrol / no park rangers' gets much smaller, as they all like to charge up that mountain starting around 8:30 and I've got to get back to the studio by 9:30 the latest, so we'll see how it plays when the alarm goes off in the morning - but I do hope to see you guys.

If I ain't there - have yourselves a blast, and everyone remember to pump the brakes when you come up on that little school by the Bolinas Lagoon if you're rolling by after 8am.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/37.9...m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Good times. Hope to see you all in the morning.

- Dan
david is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 09:06 AM
  #26  
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ltcjmramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

OK. We'll forego breakfast at Dipsea, and have it further up the road. Have a snack this AM before heading out.
ltcjmramos is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 09:10 AM
  #27  
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ltcjmramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

BTW, if you run into Merilee Unsworth, nee Leftwich, at Ledson, say hi from Joe Ramos. We were high school classmates. It's been more than a few years since I saw her there, so, she may have retired.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 09-19-2014 at 09:30 AM.
ltcjmramos is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 05:32 PM
  #28  
Comanche_699
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Comanche_699's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Santa Venetia, CA
Posts: 704
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Nice drive today guys - the drive back was something to have witnessed too - I do love that highway 1 up and over the ridge and down to Muir Beach - (next time!)




I will try and get some new pix up a little later. This is just the teaser..




Last edited by Comanche_699; 09-19-2014 at 06:12 PM.
Comanche_699 is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 05:49 PM
  #29  
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ltcjmramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Good drive, good guys. We should make a habit of this. Once a week whether or not you need it, which I'm sure you do.

Joris, you make it to Mammoth yet?
ltcjmramos is offline  
Old 09-19-2014, 07:40 PM
  #30  
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
ltcjmramos's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Half Moon Bay, CA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I get a "Video is private" msg
ltcjmramos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Petrolhead stuff to do/see/visit in California end of September?


Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: