Notices

Moving to SF area -- need pointers!

Old 08-24-2014, 09:35 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

San Anselmo, nice! So, your worksite is not going to be Mtn View after all? My high school years (many years ago) were spent in Larkspur. Would have resettled there after my Army times, but not as much work opportunity in Marin as in SV.

Sears Point is very nice. I ran it (and Laguna Seca) many times in my '93 RX-7, only a couple of times in the GT3. Frankly, felt more comfortable running Thunderhill and Buttonwillow than Sears, less hard parts off-track. Not that I did a lot of off-track excursions!

Let us know when you're settled, so we can set a meet n greet.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 08-24-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, welcome to earthquake country!!
Old 08-28-2014, 05:24 AM
Comanche_699
Addict
Rennlist Member

San Anselmo's a cute, (sleepy) little town, with pretty great access to everything, especially some great back roads & coastal / redwoods driving. I'm in Corte Madera, and try to get up to events at Sonoma Raceway as often as possible, it's about a 30/40 min drive from San Anselmo, but a nice drive, with lots of routes.

Thunderhill & Laguna Seca are around too. Both of those require a little more commitment (a few hours away) but it's great living in the middle of three great tracks for sure.

There's a lot of Porsches up here in Marin, and a pretty active group of racers and concours lovers etc.

Brunch at comforts in downtown San Anselmo is great, and folks go crazy over their Chinese chicken salad.

The ferry is pretty nice, a lot of folks bring their bikes. Lots of great eats on both sides if the bridge too.

But you're not commuting all the way down the peninsula from San Anselmo are you?

- Dan
Old 08-28-2014, 10:23 AM
vr4henry
User

I left off an important detail! It turned out that I'll be in our SF office 3-4 days a week rather than Mountain View... So, I figured I'd just take the corporate shuttle if I had to go down south. Short ride to the ferry and my SF office is close to the terminal.

We'll see how the plan turns out! I liked the Marin area a lot more than near San Jose.

San Anselmo is a nice little place -- I look forward to being able to walk to shops/restaurants. The misses is working from home for the time being so I wanted to find a place she could be close to coffee/yoga without driving.

I've still got a trailer/tow rig so going to the farther away tracks is definitely on my list! I tend to stay away from tracks without lots of walls :-) When the GT2 spins it's usually a rather epic fk up on my part, hah.

I need to find a local RV storage place to stash the trailer but it seems like there are a ton of boat storage facilities around... Might try that out.

What HPDE clubs do you guys like out that way? I see that NASA west is all about racing time and shorts the DE folks compared to Mid-Atlantic so I'll probably look elsewhere.... Any good private clubs?

Thanks!!
Henry
Old 08-29-2014, 12:44 AM
audipwr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vr4henry View Post
I left off an important detail! It turned out that I'll be in our SF office 3-4 days a week rather than Mountain View... So, I figured I'd just take the corporate shuttle if I had to go down south. Short ride to the ferry and my SF office is close to the terminal.

We'll see how the plan turns out! I liked the Marin area a lot more than near San Jose.

San Anselmo is a nice little place -- I look forward to being able to walk to shops/restaurants. The misses is working from home for the time being so I wanted to find a place she could be close to coffee/yoga without driving.

I've still got a trailer/tow rig so going to the farther away tracks is definitely on my list! I tend to stay away from tracks without lots of walls :-) When the GT2 spins it's usually a rather epic fk up on my part, hah.

I need to find a local RV storage place to stash the trailer but it seems like there are a ton of boat storage facilities around... Might try that out.

What HPDE clubs do you guys like out that way? I see that NASA west is all about racing time and shorts the DE folks compared to Mid-Atlantic so I'll probably look elsewhere.... Any good private clubs?

Thanks!!
Henry
Ncrc
Speed ventures
PCA
Bmwcca
Audi club
Shelby club
Lotus club

Those are the better DE organizers up here I have run with
Old 08-30-2014, 03:00 AM
ChrisF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! Highly recommend PCA GGR, mooty private track days (whenever available), SpeedVentures.

There's a lot of DE guys up here, especially on the 997 GT3 forum. All really friendly and great to drive with. I moved up here in Jan '13 and having such a welcoming group made the transition much easier. PM me if you ever want to get together for a drive. We're driving tomorrow early and I usually go most weekends. Always welcome to join.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:57 PM
tgsmith4845
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to NorCal, Henry. I moved out here 3-4 years ago and have really come to enjoy it. I live in Kentfield, right around the corner from San Anselmo, so know Marin / North Bay fairly well.

I've got a 997.1 GT3. Former car was a 996TT. I can fill you in on some of the local shops if you want. Also, it's great to be only 30 minutes from Sonoma (Sears Pt). Love that track! Challenging and technical, but if you can drive Sears you can drive any track. There's a good race shop up there also, Wine Country Motorsports, which comes in handy occasionally.

I also happen to be the Track Chair for PCA Golden Gate Region. GGR runs 6-7 DEs and 3-4 Club Races per season on the local tracks - Thunderhill, Sonoma, Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow. We like to think we put on some pretty good events. We just ran a DE/CR on the new 5 mile Thunderhill a week ago and had a blast. We'll be at Sears Pt Oct 25-26 if you want to join us there, running a Porsches only run group with NASA.

I'm going to be driving Sears Pt w/ NASA at the end of this month, Sat, 9/27, also. If you're around I'd be happy to show you the track.

Tim
PCA GGR Track Chair
Old 09-15-2014, 06:54 PM
vr4henry
User

Thanks for the offers guys!

I am just figuring out where to store the trailer temporarily now -- maybe I'll end up near SP if they have facilities.

Tim -- I'd be up for NASA on the 27th -- you guys use MotorsportReg to sign up out here or what? Also the 25-26 sounds good too. Gotta break in my new home track

Henry
Old 09-16-2014, 10:37 AM
tgsmith4845
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vr4henry View Post
Thanks for the offers guys! I am just figuring out where to store the trailer temporarily now -- maybe I'll end up near SP if they have facilities. Tim -- I'd be up for NASA on the 27th -- you guys use MotorsportReg to sign up out here or what? Also the 25-26 sounds good too. Gotta break in my new home track Henry
GGR uses Motorsportreg for our events:
pca-ggr.motorsportreg.com. Oct 25-26

NASA uses their own website: nasanorcal.com

Ping me sometime and we can meet up and discuss NASA, GGR, Sears Pt.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Moving to SF area -- need pointers!

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: