Notices

SF Pennisula Drive 10/20

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
entityx
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to David for organizing and everyone else for coming out and making this an awesome drive...I can't wait for the next one

Henry - I was right behind you when your tire blew and I'm pretty sure I heard the pop...sorry that happened, but glad to hear you're okay
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Hi

It was mentioned by 2-3 of you folks that this was you first time in a group drive, and were looking for some guidance. Here's some stuff I put out on the drives I sponsor:
* Arrive at the meeting place on time. Meet and greet before departure is a good time to make new friends, and to find that next car to lust over.

* Come with a full tank of gas (and an empty bladder). Please don't make us wait for you to
tank up enroute.

* Consider putting a few extra pounds of air pressure in your tires as you may be going hard.

* For those with adjustable shocks, set them in the midrange.

* Have an FRS set to channel 9, sub-channel 11 (Porsche-speak). The FRS could be very useful if you have any mechanical problems.

* Bring water. It could be hot.

* Everyone drive at their comfort level. Fast guys to the front! Do not tailgate. If someone is on your tail, and there's a lot of space in front of you, have the courtesy to allow a pass. Otherwise, the tailgater can expect rock chips!!!

* Bring cash for meals, if any.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by entityx
Thanks to David for organizing and everyone else for coming out and making this an awesome drive...I can't wait for the next one

Henry - I was right behind you when your tire blew and I'm pretty sure I heard the pop...sorry that happened, but glad to hear you're okay
Thanks, your muffler bypass sounds awesome.

I think it's rare to see a sidewall blew out, especially the tire was brand new. A friend suggested to file a claim against Michelin, but I did not save the tire, so it's too late.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Doesn't seem to me to be a sidewall failure, but a cut. The pic seems to show that you had a rim rash. Seems you hit something.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 10-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
keytohwy
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I was two cars behind Henry and I definitely heard something metallic. At first, I thought something had fallen off of a car, and hit the road. I never saw anything, but definitely heard it. Henry pulled over shortly after.

This drive was loads of fun, and I'm sorry I could not continue on to lunch, but family obligations beckoned. I'm typically off in the middle of the week, so if anyone ever wants to take a drive during the quieter times, please send me a PM. If there are any wine drinkers here, there is a great set of twisties that drops you in Napa that is also a blast.

Thanks again for putting this together. I look forward to future drives!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont beat yourself up henry. i have seen many such tire cuts on drives. usually, it has to do with pot holes, sharp shoulder drop offs on narrow roads. on a drive this year, someone even fell off of a cliff after over correcting from going into a shoulder. luckily, car and driver suffered only damages to pride and paint.

thank you joe for the tips.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Thanks for the tips. I think I probably hit something because the alignment of the car is off, now, the car is tracking to the right. I am planning to do an alignment and a tech inspection on Wednesday in preparation for the track days at Laguna Seca with Your Private Track Days and Thunderhill with PCA-Diablo. Hope to see you guys at the track in the future.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Thanks for the tips. I think I probably hit something because the alignment of the car is off, now, the car is tracking to the right. I am planning to do an alignment and a tech inspection on Wednesday in preparation for the track days at Laguna Seca with Your Private Track Days and Thunderhill with PCA-Diablo. Hope to see you guys at the track in the future.
Custom Alignment in Mountain View is almost everyone's choice for alignment and corner balance. Plus they use a Road Force wheel balancer to minimize the amount of weight needed. Best of luck. And again... what a great car you have!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 AM
hlee1169
Pro

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Custom Alignment in Mountain View is almost everyone's choice for alignment and corner balance. Plus they use a Road Force wheel balancer to minimize the amount of weight needed. Best of luck. And again... what a great car you have!
Thanks for the recommendation and compliment. I will know how it is to drive the RS on the track vs the 991 C2S.

Quick Reply: SF Pennisula Drive 10/20