Notices

SF Pennisula Drive 10/20

Old 10-21-2012, 02:22 PM
entityx
User

Thanks to David for organizing and everyone else for coming out and making this an awesome drive...I can't wait for the next one

Henry - I was right behind you when your tire blew and I'm pretty sure I heard the pop...sorry that happened, but glad to hear you're okay
Attached Images  
Old 10-21-2012, 06:46 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi

It was mentioned by 2-3 of you folks that this was you first time in a group drive, and were looking for some guidance. Here's some stuff I put out on the drives I sponsor:
* Arrive at the meeting place on time. Meet and greet before departure is a good time to make new friends, and to find that next car to lust over.

* Come with a full tank of gas (and an empty bladder). Please don't make us wait for you to
tank up enroute.

* Consider putting a few extra pounds of air pressure in your tires as you may be going hard.

* For those with adjustable shocks, set them in the midrange.

* Have an FRS set to channel 9, sub-channel 11 (Porsche-speak). The FRS could be very useful if you have any mechanical problems.

* Bring water. It could be hot.

* Everyone drive at their comfort level. Fast guys to the front! Do not tailgate. If someone is on your tail, and there's a lot of space in front of you, have the courtesy to allow a pass. Otherwise, the tailgater can expect rock chips!!!

* Bring cash for meals, if any.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:09 PM
hlee1169
User

Originally Posted by entityx View Post
Thanks to David for organizing and everyone else for coming out and making this an awesome drive...I can't wait for the next one

Henry - I was right behind you when your tire blew and I'm pretty sure I heard the pop...sorry that happened, but glad to hear you're okay
Thanks, your muffler bypass sounds awesome.

I think it's rare to see a sidewall blew out, especially the tire was brand new. A friend suggested to file a claim against Michelin, but I did not save the tire, so it's too late.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:21 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Doesn't seem to me to be a sidewall failure, but a cut. The pic seems to show that you had a rim rash. Seems you hit something.

Last edited by ltcjmramos; 10-22-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
keytohwy
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was two cars behind Henry and I definitely heard something metallic. At first, I thought something had fallen off of a car, and hit the road. I never saw anything, but definitely heard it. Henry pulled over shortly after.

This drive was loads of fun, and I'm sorry I could not continue on to lunch, but family obligations beckoned. I'm typically off in the middle of the week, so if anyone ever wants to take a drive during the quieter times, please send me a PM. If there are any wine drinkers here, there is a great set of twisties that drops you in Napa that is also a blast.

Thanks again for putting this together. I look forward to future drives!
Old 10-22-2012, 11:28 PM
djantlive
Super User

dont beat yourself up henry. i have seen many such tire cuts on drives. usually, it has to do with pot holes, sharp shoulder drop offs on narrow roads. on a drive this year, someone even fell off of a cliff after over correcting from going into a shoulder. luckily, car and driver suffered only damages to pride and paint.

thank you joe for the tips.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 AM
hlee1169
User

Thanks for the tips. I think I probably hit something because the alignment of the car is off, now, the car is tracking to the right. I am planning to do an alignment and a tech inspection on Wednesday in preparation for the track days at Laguna Seca with Your Private Track Days and Thunderhill with PCA-Diablo. Hope to see you guys at the track in the future.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 PM
ca993twin
Old Fartus Emeritus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hlee1169 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I think I probably hit something because the alignment of the car is off, now, the car is tracking to the right. I am planning to do an alignment and a tech inspection on Wednesday in preparation for the track days at Laguna Seca with Your Private Track Days and Thunderhill with PCA-Diablo. Hope to see you guys at the track in the future.
Custom Alignment in Mountain View is almost everyone's choice for alignment and corner balance. Plus they use a Road Force wheel balancer to minimize the amount of weight needed. Best of luck. And again... what a great car you have!
Old 10-24-2012, 01:55 AM
hlee1169
User

Originally Posted by ca993twin View Post
Custom Alignment in Mountain View is almost everyone's choice for alignment and corner balance. Plus they use a Road Force wheel balancer to minimize the amount of weight needed. Best of luck. And again... what a great car you have!
Thanks for the recommendation and compliment. I will know how it is to drive the RS on the track vs the 991 C2S.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SF Pennisula Drive 10/20

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: