Notices

EP1 CA smog visual fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 02:35 PM
sidewaysinamg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EP1 CA smog visual fail

Anyone experienced this? My 997.1 TT is otherwise stock - I even have stock tips on my EP1 exhaust. My car failed visual because they are looking for a CARB sticker on the cats. One of the smog testers even said something about location of O2 sensors on the cats that helps avoid a CEL. I don't want to go back to stock as I love the EP1 exhaust. Appreciate any suggestion regarding this. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2018, 08:48 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewaysinamg
Anyone experienced this? My 997.1 TT is otherwise stock - I even have stock tips on my EP1 exhaust. My car failed visual because they are looking for a CARB sticker on the cats. One of the smog testers even said something about location of O2 sensors on the cats that helps avoid a CEL. I don't want to go back to stock as I love the EP1 exhaust. Appreciate any suggestion regarding this. Thanks!
Can you clarify something...

You said they flagged a problem with the catalytic converters, but you want to avoid removing the EP1 exhaust.

Are your cats stock or modified/changed (e.g. as part of the EP1 exhaust) ?

And do you have a CEL (since the tech commented on that) ?

Last edited by wjk_glynn; 12-17-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:20 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some have to go as far as reinstalling stock exhaust to pass visual, then revert back to modified (improved) exhaust. Main reason I leave exhaust stock even though 200 cell cats give better flow!
Old 12-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

When I first smogged my Carrera here in CA at one of the special stations, the tech told me that if there is any visual evidence that I'd changed anything at all on the exhaust system, I was going to fail. And you only get two shots to pass before the car gets banned from California.
Old 12-18-2018, 02:25 AM
sidewaysinamg
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@wjk_glynn: Sorry about the confusion; no CELs on my car - Stef's product is really good. My car passed the functional inspection but failed the visual inspection because of the cats and because 02 sensors position on the cats. I have a Europipe stage 1 exhaust, these exhausts come with their own 100 cell cats but they don't have a CARB EO number.
@Rick-A-Shay: Unfortunately, that seems to be the only option now. :-(
@Archimedes: Wise to keep it stock. I have to go back to stock now. :-(
Old 12-19-2018, 01:24 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
When I first smogged my Carrera here in CA at one of the special stations, the tech told me that if there is any visual evidence that I'd changed anything at all on the exhaust system, I was going to fail. And you only get two shots to pass before the car gets banned from California.
you mean after cat? or just the cat. I've never had problems on my exhaust on my previous Panny for Visual.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
you mean after cat? or just the cat. I've never had problems on my exhaust on my previous Panny for Visual.
Anything. He basically told me, if it's not 100 percent stock exhaust, he would automatically fail me, wouldn't even run the test. My car was bone stock and he still looked it all over and complained about how difficult it was to see the entire system. But he eventually passed me.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:14 AM
powahousealex
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in los angeles it is slightly different , Most cars on the roads here are modified in some way or another .some just look the other way with they see or understand what the mod actually is . I suggest you give a smog shop a call an explain your set up , or pay someone under the table . . .which i know are plenty of those in SD TO LA.

Quick Reply: EP1 CA smog visual fail