Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   West US Rennlist Region (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region-97/)
-   -   marin road conditions (PSA:) (https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-rennlist-region/1087106-marin-road-conditions-psa.html)

david 08-03-2018 10:19 PM

marin road conditions (PSA:)

You may want to avoid the Bolinas > Olema (Shoreline CA-1) stretch of road for a bit as it keeps getting further restricted for some vital road repair.

The repair materials are getting transported onto the unrestricted sections of the road and it is getting very messy in places so if you have to travel it, stay far back of traffic.

What this all means is that within a couple of months, it will once again be some great roadway ! :evilgrin:

Alternate roads to points north of Olema include SFDrake, lucas valley, atherton/novato blvd, chileno vly :)

I suspect it will be cleared up by Sept...more shall be revealed...

ps thanks in advance for sharing recon like this ! ;-p

david 09-18-2018 04:22 PM

Lucas Valley Road

There has been traffic control since Mid August in the redwoods area west of Skywalker; it will be operating through Oct 15.

There has also been cabling during M-F business hours which controls traffic.

And now the pavement on the east side of Big Rock is being maintained so more traffic control and road repair materials are being scattered on the road surface.

So, I'd stay off it with your special car(s) during M-F business hours until the paving project ends, which should be by next week...more shall be revealed...

david 10-06-2018 11:28 AM

Lucas Valley Road (again)

Lucas Valley Rd. is getting much love (wider paved shoulders & hopefully, new blacktop!), but in the meantime, the road is a mess and getting minimal daily cleanup so do not drive on it or you will be sorry...

Nov 1 is the anticipated completion date. I'll raise the all clear flag if/when that comes to fruition...

david 10-16-2018 09:22 AM

Update:

1/ Lucas Valley Rd is still a mess & should be avoided. The good news is that it is being resurfaced...

2/ The road construction (new bridge) north of Tomales on CA 1 is finished and the traffic control has ended.

blairb 10-17-2018 01:43 AM

Wish I had read this before going blasting out to Lucas Valley Road this weekend!

david 10-17-2018 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by blairb (Post 15366315)
Wish I had read this before going blasting out to Lucas Valley Road this weekend!

Dang...best to PM me if you want the latest conditions...

david 11-02-2018 09:07 PM

Lucas Valley Rd is back in business so enjoy & be safe!

PS best to get there early in the day or later...or otherwise bikes & the clueless may ruin it for you...

wjk_glynn 11-03-2018 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by david (Post 15405571)
Lucas Valley Rd is back in business...

What parts of Lucas (or any other Marin roads) do you recommend?

Would like to add them to - https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...ing-blast.html

Karl.

david 11-04-2018 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn (Post 15405912)

What parts of Lucas (or any other Marin roads) do you recommend?

Would like to add them to - https://rennlist.com/forums/west-us-...ing-blast.html

Karl.

Here you go Karl. Lucas Valley Rd is primarily an access road to West Marin; as you may know, the roads to the coast in this county are limited -- it is almost as hard getting to the coast as getting over the Sierra (and hardly as much fun!)

Lucas Vly Rd westbound ends @Nicasio Valley Rd, which is where Lucas Vly ends. If you are traveling west, there are no bad choices @ Nicasio Vly Rd as it just depends where you want to go. North (right) to Pt Reyes Station & west to the park, or continue north to the east side of Tomales Bay & points further north. Hicks Valley Rd is also accessible via Petaluma Rd which will continue pointing you north into Sonoma County & the Bodega Bay coast). Left will take you to Sir Francis Drake and a great roll through Samuel P Taylor state part & down Shoreline...although you can also decide to go north once you get closer to the coast.

Lucas Vly Rd is fully resurfaced from Big Rock west to the end of the road. From what I understand, the eastern side will also be paved and some re-alignment created.

I suspect that the resurfaced road will draw the bike hoards (when dry) so do take care.

For me, the ride is mostly an aural pleasure with windows down, sunroof open, heat on, sport & pse engaged! The only problem with the road is that it is to short...but we've been known to turn around at the right time of day, and do it again!

Be aware that the Sheriff & CHP also use/patrol the road. They are almost always moving except once in a while the CHP will sit @5858 LV Rd (Skywalker Ranch -- as you may know, Lucas Valley is where Star Wars was commanded). This is the one area that there may be cars entering the roadway, although there are some homes here and there in the canyon so please do not abuse the speed in those areas where there are driveways. The Redwoods portion is special even at a slow pace with @higher revs...

It is best run earlier or later in the day, otherwise it may be slow. If there is traffic, sometimes letting traffic clear ahead of you is recommended: a 5-7 minute break in the traffic is best to clear traffic ahead of you while travelling west. There is a good location at Big Rock Ranch entrance (just west of the top of the ridge) to stop, listen for traffic & look back up the hill to time your departure. My preference is east > west but the direction can also be fun!

PS I'll let you decide how to integrate it into the other thread if you don't mind...thanks!

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...5a2a93f644.jpg

wjk_glynn 11-05-2018 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by david (Post 15408636)
...I'll let you decide how to integrate it into the other thread if you don't mind...

Just did, thanks.

Karl.

TheBruce 11-05-2018 10:06 PM

I hit Lucas Valley the other day. Its a gorgeous strip of asphalt. I think they finished it right before midterms to promote the gas tax. Now if they just continue to Red Hill and Chileno Valley I will have a proper circuit.

And yes, go midday on a weekday or very early on a weekend. That road with traffic is a bummer.

As for cops, ive never seen them at Skywalker but I see them one out of three times I head that way in various places. I got pulled coming out of Nicasio a few months back but luckily the nice sheriff lady forgot to turn her radar on.

And lastly, for safety respect the double yellow, especially in the twisties going west.

david 11-09-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by TheBruce (Post 15411598)
I hit Lucas Valley the other day. Its a gorgeous strip of asphalt. I think they finished it right before midterms to promote the gas tax. Now if they just continue to Red Hill and Chileno Valley I will have a proper circuit.

And yes, go midday on a weekday or very early on a weekend. That road with traffic is a bummer.

As for cops, ive never seen them at Skywalker but I see them one out of three times I head that way in various places. I got pulled coming out of Nicasio a few months back but luckily the nice sheriff lady forgot to turn her radar on.

And lastly, for safety respect the double yellow, especially in the twisties going west.

The new local weekday CHP (and his weekend colleague) has definitely upped the game for where he is hanging out; perhaps we should develop a map & pin the locations where they are laying in wait?

david 11-09-2018 11:51 AM

Shorline around Bolinas Lagoon

Caltrans is making a huge effort to clear debris from culverts next to Shoreline (CA-1) around Bolinas Lagoon, which often floods during the rainy season and has standing water after the rains have ended and during high tides. It looks like they are also cutting back some of the hillsides in that area.

Unsure when this work will be completed but while the work is ongoing, there are long delays and much debris on the road, so if you are using the road for your mental health therapy, take care.