Notices

Bay Area - wheel repair for Platinum Satin wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 10:47 AM
mcomet
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Bay Area - wheel repair for Platinum Satin wheels?

There are a lot of threads on rennlist about the difficulty in matching or getting platinum wheels repaired, or mixed properly... such as:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9182...b5-wheels.html

Anyhow I have a pretty bad scuff on one of my GT4 wheels. I went to Rite-Way in walnut creek which is the usual go to and has always helped me. However they are saying they won't do it as they can't match exactly. They are referring me to Finish Logic in Concord who also does powder coating. They say they can match it but it may take several trial runs to get the exact match.

I was wondering if:
- Anyone knew of a place in the Bay Area that has experience with Platinum Porsche wheels and maybe would be able to fix
- Thoughts on powder coat vs. paint fix. I have read the rennlist thread where there is a place in San Jose that will mix the Platinum paint. My only question then is where to go to get the wheel sanded and welded and repainted...

RiteWay was clear that I should avoid any mobile places that just do sand/filler as it won't last when wheel is reblanaced/mounted etc... Powder coat seems to be their method despite OEM wheels being painted. Anyhow looking for advice or referrals... particularly with any platinum wheel experience.

thanks
Old 07-12-2018, 03:42 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

OEM wheels are not powder coated. I have not found a single wheel repair shop in the entire Bay Area that will do repair work on painted wheels. They all only powder coat. A local detailer chipped one of my wheels and I've been trying to find a place to repair it. So far, no luck. It's been about two months.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:48 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
OEM wheels are not powder coated. I have not found a single wheel repair shop in the entire Bay Area that will do repair work on painted wheels. They all only powder coat. A local detailer chipped one of my wheels and I've been trying to find a place to repair it. So far, no luck. It's been about two months.
Success has recently been had at German Auto Body in Santa Clara. They are a Glasurit shop and can spray OB5 Platinum Satin. Crazy Ed on the GT3 forum recently had a wheel repaired and repainted. Wheel turned out great but they they screwed up the tire mounting and scraped the new paint ... so I suggest you go elsewhere for mounting and balancing.

Anyway, bottom line is that there is a proven option
Old 07-12-2018, 09:39 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by RoWa
Success has recently been had at German Auto Body in Santa Clara. They are a Glasurit shop and can spray OB5 Platinum Satin. Crazy Ed on the GT3 forum recently had a wheel repaired and repainted. Wheel turned out great but they they screwed up the tire mounting and scraped the new paint ... so I suggest you go elsewhere for mounting and balancing.

Anyway, bottom line is that there is a proven option
Awesome, will check 'em out.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:28 AM
mcomet
Instructor

Thanks for the info will have to investigate. Everywhere I have looked is powder coat.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:04 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcomet
Thanks for the info will have to investigate. Everywhere I have looked is powder coat.
agreed, lot of powder coaters around. German Auto Body is also a Porsche Approved Collision Center ... they know their paint !!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:01 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

If Rite Way recommends someone, that's who'd i use. Those guys are on top of their ****.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:05 PM
granprixweiss928
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

check with Scott at ET wheels in San Leandro. They actually manufacture wheels too.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:46 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I've used German Autobody to paint BBS wheels.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:34 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Originally Posted by HBdirtbag
If Rite Way recommends someone, that's who'd i use. Those guys are on top of their ****.
Problem that I had with RiteWay is that they seem to farm out their powder coating, they use the oven to burn off the old paint but could not tell me at what temperature they do the burning off or at what temp they bake the new powder coating.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:21 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RoWa
Problem that I had with RiteWay is that they seem to farm out their powder coating, they use the oven to burn off the old paint but could not tell me at what temperature they do the burning off or at what temp they bake the new powder coating.
They powdercoat in house, at least they did my last wheels in house. Riteway is pretty reputable. The variety of stuff that came through the door while I was doing my wheels was pretty wild. From original GT40 wheels, to a lot of old school lace up wheels, to dealers stopping by for OEM repair, etc.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 AM
mcomet
Instructor

Just to follow up.... and to comment on a few things above...

1. Rite-way does farm out powder coating...depending on what it is and their schedule etc... still as mentioned they are reputable.
2. One of the places they farm out to is Finish Logic in Concord. I actually talked with them twice but reaching them is a pain. In addition they said they would actually match my color..but they use Riteway for the tire removal, and rebalance etc... but I could deal with them directly
3. After multiple multiple attempts to contact Finish Logic, and get them to call me back to fix the one wheel I gave up and decided to just powder coat all 4 wheels black via Riteway.
4. Side note riteway was willing to be the front man for the single wheel and to farm it to Finish Logic but it was unclear how many "weeks" of trial process that would take for a match. I actually visited Finish Logic directly one day...they told me they were getting a spectrometer to match color and would call me back.. after 2 weeks including me contacting them again in the middle, I gave up with no response. Horrible customer service. They seem like they mostly just deal directly with front end vendors and not customers.
5. After dropping my wheels at Riteway apparently one wheel rim didn't quite end up perfect at the end of the first powder coating black... they said maybe got hit or touched...so she sent it back for one more day for a fix to the lip...said I wouldn't be able to tell etc just an extra day needed.
6. I picked up my wheels a total of 2.5 days after my initial drop off from Riteway. Looked perfect. All Satin Black. On a whim I asked if they farmed this out...they said yes... I asked if it was Finish Logic... yes.... so after all of that the same place ended up doing all four of my wheels anyhow... sigh.

7. As a bonus round I had them all redone with Ceramic Pro on top (they had it originally). My ceramic pro guy annoying leaned the wheels up against some wood boards again a wall. Weight wise face in because heavier that way. Then apparently went to get one of the boards and in doing knocked over one of the wheels face down..damaged it. He took care of it, paid, dropped it off at riteway etc.. but still.. so one of the wheels on the Friday I was supposed to pick up went BACK to Riteway for another 2 days for yet another complete re-powder coat, then back to him for ceramic pro.

So yeah... what a pain. I could have easily just gone to riteway and been done in the usual 2-3 days. But trying to find places to match color, or paint, or research... waiting for people to contact me back, and some accidental bad luck during ceramic pro meant my car was basically on jack stands for over a week and the whole process in trying to find a place to just deal with one wheel was over a month before I gave up. All done now except for my Clear bra which was also slightly damaged and goes in today... but yeah.... #carweek is next week...
Old 08-30-2018, 01:41 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Anyone knows a place near SSF where I can have 3 piece wheels resealed? I have a slow leak which is coming out of the bolts on the inner barrel. Looks like it wasn't properly sealed and torqued. Went to Kwicksilver in Colma but it will take 2 to 3 weeks to do it since shop will close for 10 days on vacation starting today.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:32 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

Ah that sucks, Ceasar @ Quick silver would have been the one I would have recommended. He did my 3 piece 21" wheels before.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:36 AM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Rolling Stock

Originally Posted by 2010panny4S
Ah that sucks, Ceasar @ Quick silver would have been the one I would have recommended. He did my 3 piece 21" wheels before.
I ended up with Rolling Stock at Bayshore Boulevard, SF. Cost me $120 to reseal, reassemble, mounted and balanced. Took 2 days only.

Quick Reply: Bay Area - wheel repair for Platinum Satin wheels?