Notices

Shop on Peninsula for 'Laguna tips'

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 07:11 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Shop on Peninsula for 'Laguna tips'

First outing to Laguna coming up soon and needs something to get my Cayman R under the 92db limit. I know Tracspec Motorsport (Fremont) can do this type of work, but Fremont is a major PITA to get to most of the time. Would be great to have an alternative near Redwood City, Mountain View, San Mateo area.

Thanks,
DJM
Old 06-12-2018, 10:29 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

In the far past, I've used Exhaust Works in Belmont for custom work. But it's been over 10 years since they've done any work for me. http://www.exhaustworksbelmont.com/
Old 06-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Give 50/50 muffler a call. They're on Old County Rd. in Belmont. Real clean shop. He may not have done this kind of mod but if you show him some pics he can probably do what you wish.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:58 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

These are pretty straightforward for any competent muffler shop to fabricate. The exhaust tips are clamped on, really easy to replace for track tips and then back to factory.

FWIW, my GTS doesn’t get black flagged for sound. Carrying speed out of turn 5 is easy and track left up the hill while pedaling until I’m beyond the bridge works for me and then I’m WOT through turn 6. My track buddy runs his GT4 at Laguna with no issue using the same tactic.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:48 PM
dabiesaur
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that you should be fine at a 92db limit. Don't hug the right side out of 5. You can still give a good amount of throttle going up. I've seen many 911s and Cayman pass sound this way.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:56 AM
djm68
Racer

Thanks for the feedback. I was under the impression that trying to thwart sound check by lifting or avoiding mic was frowned upon. I was also told by the registrar at the GGR PCA that a stock Cayman R would fail the check.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 06-14-2018, 11:15 AM
jnolan
Pro

If that is the case, then why are you getting modified exhaust tips whose only purpose is to redirect sound to avoid a sound penalty?

I’m only sharing my experience at this track, I can’t vouch for or dispute what GGR PCA told you. As for failing the check, are the organizers requiring a sound check lap as a precondition for participating in the event? If so, that would be new to me. Whenever I have been at this track the sound check is a voluntary no-penalty lap you can take for the sole purpose of getting a sound measurement.

Most of the cars at Laguna will fail sound if you go WOT close to the sound station. If the weather is cold and humid, it is even more likely... hot and dry, then you are catching a break.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:15 PM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by jnolan
If that is the case, then why are you getting modified exhaust tips whose only purpose is to redirect sound to avoid a sound penalty?
According to the GGR PCA: lifting and/or driving away from the sound check station in order 'cheat' the sound check is frowned upon. Presumably, 'Laguna pipes' are acceptable as they actually redirect your exhaust sound away all the time rather than just at sound check. I am not saying any of this makes sense (I think the whole Laguna sound issue is ludicrous, honestly), but I want to drive at Laguna and not to fret about having hassles with sound.

DJM
Old 06-18-2018, 01:56 PM
jnolan
Pro

Originally Posted by djm68
According to the GGR PCA: lifting and/or driving away from the sound check station in order 'cheat' the sound check is frowned upon. Presumably, 'Laguna pipes' are acceptable as they actually redirect your exhaust sound away all the time rather than just at sound check. I am not saying any of this makes sense (I think the whole Laguna sound issue is ludicrous, honestly), but I want to drive at Laguna and not to fret about having hassles with sound.

DJM
okay, let’s reset. Sound at Laguna is a stressful part of the track experience. There are a lot of cars running at Laguna that are much louder than your Cayman R and this is what they do: carry a lot of speed out of turn 5 up the hill and back off the throttle, without completely lifting, to the bridge and on the other side of the bridge go WOT through turn 6 up the grade to the Corkscrew. If you go past the sound station and go full throttle at the bridge, the sound will bounce off the bridge so wait until you are beyond the bridge. I like to track to the left to give me a bit more margin, which I can use to increase my throttle. I’m not cheating but if someone wants to “frown upon it” then so be it. I’m paying for the privilege of being on that track and can handle some frowning. I don’t think you need exhaust tips but I have a turbo car with a lower redline, so it may be that tips are a good insurance policy.

What the track monitors are looking for is cars that are making it through sound and then going way above sound on other part of the track. Decibel measurement is a logarithmic scale - a ratio - so the difference between 92 and 110 is that the latter is more like 8x louder than the former. I had this happen in my Cobra, which is between 110-120. I could get by the sound station with a great amount of effort but elsewhere on the track I’m so damn loud that it’s obvious I am blowing sound. I got black flagged in my last session of the day.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:43 AM
djm68
Racer

Originally Posted by jnolan

okay, let’s reset. Sound at Laguna is a stressful part of the track experience. There are a lot of cars running at Laguna that are much louder than your Cayman R and this is what they do: carry a lot of speed out of turn 5 up the hill and back off the throttle, without completely lifting, to the bridge and on the other side of the bridge go WOT through turn 6 up the grade to the Corkscrew. If you go past the sound station and go full throttle at the bridge, the sound will bounce off the bridge so wait until you are beyond the bridge. I like to track to the left to give me a bit more margin, which I can use to increase my throttle. I’m not cheating but if someone wants to “frown upon it” then so be it. I’m paying for the privilege of being on that track and can handle some frowning. I don’t think you need exhaust tips but I have a turbo car with a lower redline, so it may be that tips are a good insurance policy.

What the track monitors are looking for is cars that are making it through sound and then going way above sound on other part of the track. Decibel measurement is a logarithmic scale - a ratio - so the difference between 92 and 110 is that the latter is more like 8x louder than the former. I had this happen in my Cobra, which is between 110-120. I could get by the sound station with a great amount of effort but elsewhere on the track I’m so damn loud that it’s obvious I am blowing sound. I got black flagged in my last session of the day.
Thanks for the detailed response, jnolan. Cayman R is surprisingly loud at WOT (as is a 997 GTS of similar vintage), likewise for the 981 GTS; nowhere near your Cobra but much louder than a Turbo. I will certainly employ your suggested technique and likely some 'turn down' tips. Will post results after the weekend at Laguna.

DJM
Old 06-23-2018, 12:39 PM
j5m
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djm68
According to the GGR PCA: lifting and/or driving away from the sound check station in order 'cheat' the sound check is frowned upon.
Hah. I did the two day California Superbike School there and they setup a cone chicane to force you to life off while going past the station.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:52 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Good luck....I had laguna tips, gear up, half throttle and still blew 98 db in my GT3.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 PM
djm68
Racer

Well, well, well...

Much to do about nothing; weekend went fine, did not blow sound. Initially, I did go easy on the throttle going by sound check, then a little more aggressive, then finally I just drove without thinking about sound check. Keep in mind my Cayman R has PSE and I the valves permanently 'open'. FWIW, it was a 92db weekend and the weather was warm and clear.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 07-19-2018, 07:40 PM
smmmurf
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad that you survived the sound check on the 92 dB day. The GT4 does not pass on 90 dB days without some kind of modifications to make it quieter at T5.

If you do decide to get a Laguna Seca pipe, I recommend going to Trackspec. Their attention to detail and familiarity with fabricating this part for this car is worth the drive. They may even be able to make the part before your appointment if you advise them in advance since they frequently service GT4's.

Quick Reply: Shop on Peninsula for 'Laguna tips'