Notices

California Registration Process?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 01:50 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts
Default California Registration Process?

I live in California. Buying a NEW car from out of state dealership (NY). They are shipping the car here in covered transport. I would like the dealership to handle all the paperwork for registration and so on. But they are saying I need to have the car SMOG tested and then do a VIN Verification. CA DMV website says new cars don't need SMOG testing. And mentions nothing about VIN Verification, whatever that is. Dealer says they can issue me a temporary paper plate and then I can get the car SMOG tested and then I have to go to AAA for VIN Verification and then mail all that stuff back to them to get the car registered.

Anybody do this recently? Just need to make sure I understand the process.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:14 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/cali...ions-standards
Old 05-02-2018, 03:08 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I've done it a few times. You can also do VIN verification at CHP or DMV before your appt.
I would do a smog as these cars were not port of entry in California. Just tell the smog place it is for new car registration.
Here is the checklist.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...sts/outofstate
Old 05-02-2018, 03:19 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Cool thanks, I'm gonna do VIN Verification at AAA. I hate the DMV.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:53 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

If you're lucky you can use the AAA that actually has it's own DMV inside as well. The one in Daly City has one and I use that place most of the time.
https://calstate.aaa.com/automotive/dmv
Old 05-02-2018, 05:02 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

The car needs to be smogged in CA and the DMV or CHP needs to do VIN verification as conditions for CA state registration being issued. You need to get the DMV form for VIN verification even if you want CHP to do the verification for you.. AAA will not do this.

AAA will also not handle the first registration of an out of state or imported car.

If you use the DMV website to set up an appointment first, then the process is much more user friendly and the wait is minimal.

Smog the car and bring the passed smog result with you to the DMV appt. You park in the verification lane and they will send one person out to do verification, he/she signs off the form, then you bring it to the window/counter inside where they process the registration and hand you plates and tags.

Also be sure to bring your purchase paperwork as sometimes if they see it is a brand new car they will ask to see the paperwork showing what you paid for it. First time CA registration includes a fee which is essentially charging you sales tax. If you paid sales tax in another state when you bought the car show them papers documenting that and they will credit you for that amount.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:10 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
The car needs to be smogged in CA and the DMV or CHP needs to do VIN verification as conditions for CA state registration being issued. You need to get the DMV form for VIN verification even if you want CHP to do the verification for you.. AAA will not do this.

AAA will also not handle the first registration of an out of state or imported car.

If you use the DMV website to set up an appointment first, then the process is much more user friendly and the wait is minimal.

Smog the car and bring the passed smog result with you to the DMV appt. You park in the verification lane and they will send one person out to do verification, he/she signs off the form, then you bring it to the window/counter inside where they process the registration and hand you plates and tags.

Also be sure to bring your purchase paperwork as sometimes if they see it is a brand new car they will ask to see the paperwork showing what you paid for it. First time CA registration includes a fee which is essentially charging you sales tax. If you paid sales tax in another state when you bought the car show them papers documenting that and they will credit you for that amount.
Here's the plan:

I'm paying all registration fees and CA state sales tax to the dealership in NY. They are doing the registration. Plates should come in the mail. Only thing I'm doing is SMOG and VIN verification. I called AAA and they say they do VIN verification for new cars purchased out of state. I'm not registering the car at AAA, not sure where that came from. The dealer is doing that. Or so they say.

Car is being delivered to detailer from NY. They will detail and PPF. Then I'll bring to get smog tested. Then VIN verification. Then plates should arrive in the mail at some point. I'll have temp paper plate from dealer that is good for 30 days.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:10 PM
jnolan
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

The dealership will forward the fees to CA, which will come together with your VIN verification and SMOG certificate to get you plates.

The VIN verification is procedural, they (CHP is where I have gone) will punch in the VIN and, if available, engine numbers into their computer to look for stolen cars and parts.

Smog is another procedural issue given that all manufacturers are shipping 50 state smog cars now... but hey, it’s a chance for them to inject another $39 into the local auto shop economy. The smog cert is transmitted electronically to Sacramento where it will get attached to your record ID. Bring the paperwork with you, but you will be surprised at how connected everything is. I’ve never had to do a vehicle inspection at the DMV, I have just showed up and they give you the plates right there when all the t’s are crossed and i’s dotted.

Now if you really want a good time, go through the SPCNS process for specially constructed vehicles and the SB100 smog exemption. That process entails a visit to a smog referee where you will get a colonscopy as well your car.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:15 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnolan
The dealership will forward the fees to CA, which will come together with your VIN verification and SMOG certificate to get you plates.

The VIN verification is procedural, they (CHP is where I have gone) will punch in the VIN and, if available, engine numbers into their computer to look for stolen cars and parts.

Smog is another procedural issue given that all manufacturers are shipping 50 state smog cars now... but hey, it’s a chance for them to inject another $39 into the local auto shop economy. The smog cert is transmitted electronically to Sacramento where it will get attached to your record ID. Bring the paperwork with you, but you will be surprised at how connected everything is. I’ve never had to do a vehicle inspection at the DMV, I have just showed up and they give you the plates right there when all the t’s are crossed and i’s dotted.

Now if you really want a good time, go through the SPCNS process for specially constructed vehicles and the SB100 smog exemption. That process entails a visit to a smog referee where you will get a colonscopy as well your car.
Cool, thanks

Yeah I'm just trying to avoid the DMV at all costs. I guess I can go to CHP for VIN verification. I just figured AAA is easier maybe? But other poster above says AAA won't do it? Or at least won't have the paperwork or something? I called 'em and they said they do it, so not sure what that's about.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:45 AM
jnolan
Pro

If AAA does VIN verification and out-of-state vehicle registrations, that would be news. I have bought most of my cars out of state and I can tell you from experience that this is not a complex process.

The VIN verification and smog cert are really simple, head to a local CHP station and the desk officer will get you started. It takes about 30 minutes from the time you walk in to when you have the completed form. I live on the Peninsula but I can’t imagine it is much different in SF... CHP offices are not like police stations with heavy foot traffic. People tend to go to the CHP for very specific needs. Any smog station will do the test, just ask them in advance what promotions they are running so you save a few bucks.

Make an appointment at the DMV when you have smog and VIN. Morning appointments tend to run on time. The DMV in San Mateo is a large office, I prefer that one over Redwood City. Make your appointment, show up and wait for your number, walk up to the window with your forms and wait while they punch in your record number. As long as your dealer did everything properly (they will), you will be out in 45 minutes with plates and stickers.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:11 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by jnolan
If AAA does VIN verification and out-of-state vehicle registrations, that would be news.

They do VIN verification. They do not do registration. Two different things.

Make an appointment at the DMV when you have smog and VIN. Morning appointments tend to run on time. The DMV in San Mateo is a large office, I prefer that one over Redwood City. Make your appointment, show up and wait for your number, walk up to the window with your forms and wait while they punch in your record number. As long as your dealer did everything properly (they will), you will be out in 45 minutes with plates and stickers.

Ddealer is handling it all. They said get the VIN veri. and SMOG and they'll do the rest. I'm paying them an ADM for the car, they might as well work for it
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM
jnolan
Pro

I’m sure your dealer will square you away. Good luck.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:47 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

OP you can report back after you have all this done to let us know if it all worked as you said it would.

Some of us have done this before and we are sharing our experiences but we can always learn something new for next time.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:50 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
OP you can report back after you have all this done to let us know if it all worked as you said it would.

Some of us have done this before and we are sharing our experiences but we can always learn something new for next time.
Will do
Old 05-03-2018, 09:28 PM
Aku700
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Just a heads up, I bought my GTS from NJ, shipped to CA and couldn't get past smog. Something about reset after new battery is installed. Porsche dealer had some tricks up their sleeve and said it will pass, and it did.

Quick Reply: California Registration Process?