Notices

California Registration Process?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 09:46 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

OP has it right, though you will need some form of paperwork on the car like a bill of sale to get the VIN verification done. I use Valley VIN verification, but AAA is free. Regarding smog, drive the car for 20-30 minutes on the freeway before you go to smog it. There is a sensor or valve that needs to reset if the car sat on the lot for a while and the battery ran down.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:56 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
OP has it right, though you will need some form of paperwork on the car like a bill of sale to get the VIN verification done. I use Valley VIN verification, but AAA is free. Regarding smog, drive the car for 20-30 minutes on the freeway before you go to smog it. There is a sensor or valve that needs to reset if the car sat on the lot for a while and the battery ran down.
Good to know, thank you!

Does it matter which order you do it in? SMOG first and then VIN or other way around or doesn't matter?
Old 05-05-2018, 12:08 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Doesn’t matter which order you do it.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:12 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

This is a helpful thread - OP I am in very similar shoes. My GT3 was purchased from a NY dealer and being courtesy delivered to CA (CJ's store in Fresno). Paid my NY dealer CA sales tax + CA reg fee (and I believe he owes me a bit back, looks like I overpaid for CA reg via DMV calculator). All my NY dealer says I need is to obtain VIN verification + smog test and they will handle the rest, they will get me my temp plates and also get me title/reg/full plates.

Definitely keep us posted with your experience since my car isn't scheduled to land until mid June, hoping it's as smooth of a process as everyone eluding to. As a novice to CA DMVs, had to wait 5 hours to pay tax and register a 993 in Redwood City DMV last Summer as my only experience..
Old 05-11-2018, 11:28 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
This is a helpful thread - OP I am in very similar shoes. My GT3 was purchased from a NY dealer and being courtesy delivered to CA (CJ's store in Fresno). Paid my NY dealer CA sales tax + CA reg fee (and I believe he owes me a bit back, looks like I overpaid for CA reg via DMV calculator). All my NY dealer says I need is to obtain VIN verification + smog test and they will handle the rest, they will get me my temp plates and also get me title/reg/full plates.

Definitely keep us posted with your experience since my car isn't scheduled to land until mid June, hoping it's as smooth of a process as everyone eluding to. As a novice to CA DMVs, had to wait 5 hours to pay tax and register a 993 in Redwood City DMV last Summer as my only experience..
Will do. Car is on a truck should arrive in CA in 10-14 days. Ugh... more waiting.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:33 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Car will arrive tomorrow.

Just called the AAA location that said they do VIN Verification. Now they are saying they don't do it unless I have the title. I don't have the title because dealership can't get it to me until it's VIN is verified and they submit registration application.

Called CHP office that told me they do VIN Verification and now they are saying they don't offer that service and they've never offered it... WTF is going on lol.

Both AAA and CHP are now saying I have to go to DMV to do that. Well I don't have the car's title yet. Car dealership says they are handling registration and title and all that, but if I have to go to DMV anyway, what the hell is the dealership doing?

So, not sure what to do. I'd rather not go spend 3 hours at the DMV only to be told sorry you need a title to register/VIN/SMOG... But I can't get the title until I do that other stuff first. Kind of a Catch 22.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:37 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Hmmm.... LOL

Curious to see how you end up working this out
Old 05-18-2018, 06:43 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Hmmm.... LOL

Curious to see how you end up working this out
Yeah, not sure what's going on. I'm betting the dealership is ****ing this up somehow. As I'm sure I'm not the only one in history to ever buy a new car from an out of state dealership... Everyone else I've talked to who has done this has said their dealership has done all the work, car gets delivered, they do nothing, then in a few weeks, plates/title/registration arrive in the mail.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:48 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Well, all I can say is best of luck (lol) and whatever you end up doing will be most likely what I have to do next month. I wonder if a CA Porsche dealership can do the VIN verification and smog test, maybe the one you'll end up going to for service? Hoping that's the case as my car is getting courtesy delivered directly to Porsche of Fresno..
Old 05-18-2018, 06:55 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Well, all I can say is best of luck (lol) and whatever you end up doing will be most likely what I have to do next month. I wonder if a CA Porsche dealership can do the VIN verification and smog test, maybe the one you'll end up going to for service? Hoping that's the case as my car is getting courtesy delivered directly to Porsche of Fresno..
If your car is getting courtesy delivered direct to Porsche, you'll be fine. I tried to arrange that, but dealership wouldn't play ball since they have to pay the other dealership to do that.

Just spoke with my dealership (where I purchased the car out of state) and they were like... ummm yeah you don't need the title to get VIN Verification and SMOG check. They say they sell cars all the time to CA customers. I have the bill of sale and all the other documents showing I bought the car and there's no lien on it and all that.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:37 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

well u know what i am thinking but i won't say it

all i would say is make an appt online for your convenient dmv location for vehicle reg...get there on time... i promise it won't be that bad

worse than a pit stop bathroom break on the interstate, but nowhere near as bad as a dental cleaning
Old 05-19-2018, 05:28 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

^ He is probably right. I am just so traumatized by Redwood City DMV last summer (withOUT an appointment), I would actually prefer the dental cleaning. Colonoscopy for that matter would be considered...

Any news?
Old 05-19-2018, 08:26 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Picked up car this morning. Passed by a smog place on the way out and stopped in. $45. Took 3 minutes. In and out.

Will have to make an appointment with DMV for verification. AAA has confirmed that they only do verification on private purchases. Not dealer purchases. Not sure why it matters. A dealer is a private entity just like a person. But whatever. Looks like I'm off to the DMV.

Been driving the car, though. And it's awesome!
Old 05-20-2018, 05:19 PM
8enny8lack
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh man, get through that break-in period quickly, it all settles in so nicely!!!!

Good luck w the DMV, I have to go do battle there this week in order to pick up black plates...
Old 05-20-2018, 09:24 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Been trying to make an appointment with DMV but looks like the earliest openings are middle of July. I've checked many of the DMVs in the Bay Area. One or two have availabilities middle of June. But my car will be getting PPF then. So I'll have to wait until after that. My insurance company says I have to get them a copy of registration within 30 days or else they will cancel my policy. I told them look... I'm in CA and the government here is horrible. Even if I could get to the DMV tomorrow, there's no way I'm getting the registration in the mail within 30 days.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 05-21-2018 at 09:26 PM.

Quick Reply: California Registration Process?