Notices

Nothing political: CA new car use/sales tax + reg?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2018, 03:17 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts
Default Nothing political: CA new car use/sales tax + reg?

WOW - I am registering and paying CA tax on my incoming GT3 since I am relocating to CA this summer and they will get me either way

$16K tax (9%) - fine I was mentally preparing myself for this

$4.2k registration fee? @ 2% of MSRP? Is that just for setting up new registration, or is that what I will be paying to renew yearly?

Just wanted to confirm this... my a$$ hurts.....
Old 01-24-2018, 07:58 PM
Ticket Target
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

Welcome to California. The weather is great, just not free.
Your registration will slowly diminish as the value decreases.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This from the CA DMV website: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr34#reg

There maybe other additions that will add to the renewal such as special environmental plates, etc.

Vehicle License Fee (VLF) (.65% of value)

Most vehicles are assessed a VLF, in lieu of property tax, based on the purchase price/value when acquired and funds go to cities/counties. VLF decreases for the first 11 renewal years (18 for park trailers) or until the vehicle is transferred (except certain family transfers, see FAQs. VLF exemption is available for disabled veterans with a 100 percent service-related disability rating, California Indian tribes/tribal members, federally-recognized Indian tribes (CVC §9104.5 and CRTC §10781.1), specialized transportation vehicles, nonresident military personnel stationed in California, and their nonresident spouses. Historical Vehicle/Horseless Carriage License Plates (CVC §5004) VLF is $2.

VLF is the only part of registration you may deduct on your income tax. For details on how VLF is used, contact your city/county government.
Old 01-25-2018, 02:47 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Ticket Target
Welcome to California. The weather is great, just not free.
Your registration will slowly diminish as the value decreases.
Not only great weather but some of the best roads I've ever driven on Very excited to be moving there, seems like you have to pay to play...

Maybe they can depreciate my GT3 even more with the dreaded sofa seats and PDK

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
This from the CA DMV website: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...cts/ffvr34#reg

There maybe other additions that will add to the renewal such as special environmental plates, etc.

Vehicle License Fee (VLF) (.65% of value)

Most vehicles are assessed a VLF, in lieu of property tax, based on the purchase price/value when acquired and funds go to cities/counties. VLF decreases for the first 11 renewal years (18 for park trailers) or until the vehicle is transferred (except certain family transfers, see FAQs. VLF exemption is available for disabled veterans with a 100 percent service-related disability rating, California Indian tribes/tribal members, federally-recognized Indian tribes (CVC §9104.5 and CRTC §10781.1), specialized transportation vehicles, nonresident military personnel stationed in California, and their nonresident spouses. Historical Vehicle/Horseless Carriage License Plates (CVC §5004) VLF is $2.

VLF is the only part of registration you may deduct on your income tax. For details on how VLF is used, contact your city/county government.
This was really helpful, thanks for taking the time to post this. I went straight to my dealer and asked them why they charged me then 2% of the value than the .65%, as the fee calculator on the CA DMV says I should owe $1.5k in reg fees, not the $4.2k they charged me...
Old 01-26-2018, 12:04 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay

Not anymore with the SALT deduction limit in the new tax bill. Unless you don't own any property and make less than about $200k a year, you won't be getting any tax benefit on your car fees anymore.

Quick Reply: Nothing political: CA new car use/sales tax + reg?