Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1980 Porsche 924 Turbo Project

Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 PM
barelyrunshalfthetime
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo Project

Year: 1980
Make: Porsche
Model: 0
Cont. Porsche Models: 924 Turbo
Mileage (numbers only please): 62343
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Intermittent Wipers, Power Brakes, Power Windows, Sunroof
Color: Blue
VIN: 93A0150654
Price (no $ sign please): $1800
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 5 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: None

I'm losing the space I was going to fix this up in, so I'm going to have to let it go or part it. Bought it a few weeks ago with the intention of fixing it up. I was told the turbo and engine had been rebuilt prior to it sitting. I believe this sat for around 5 years prior to me buying it.

This is a 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo (931) project. It has the Porsche dog-leg snail shell (G31?) transaxle, rare green-font gauges, and of course the famous NACA hood duct and header panel vents. This car does have a title.

The car runs and drives, but it developed a large oil leak at the back of the engine and the oil pressure light came on shortly after I changed the timing belt and tightened some hose clamps at the rear of the engine. I tightened the hose clamps to address a coolant leak that leaked from there when I topped up the reservoir. Prior to purchasing the car, the PO drove it on the street and it built boost nicely and ran well (despite the old gas that was in it). The other immediate mechanical issue is the brakes. The front right caliper is stuck on. The car moves but there's resistance. I tried to bleed the brakes but found at least 2 to 3 of the bleeders were rusted shut/rounded. My plan was to convert to 5 lug hubs/brakes if I was keeping the car. Another item to address is the shift linkage. It's all over the place, it should be replaced with the ideola's garage kit.

Cosmetically, the body seems straight, no real signs of accident damage. The paint is poor, and there are several dents/dings. Inside the car is not much better, the seat bottoms are torn. I pulled and cleaned the carpet, but the carpet is probably toast. Someone cut a hole in the torque tube tunnel at the back above the shift linkage and I'm not sure why, the piece of metal they cut out is included. There is a rust area in the floor under the front seat support on the passenger's side that needs to be addressed. It has a dash cap.

The car comes with some spares like front ball joints and bushings.

Any other questions please let me know, I'd like to see someone save this if possible, I thought I would be able to but I can't right now. Would make a cool rally/race car if you decided to go that route.

Old 07-25-2019, 03:31 PM
edul
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924 project

Hello, When was the timing belt / water pump last done and do you have any receipts for any work ?

Can you provide the Vin number ?

What city are you located in ?

Emil
732-277-5216

Call me when you can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1980 Porsche 924 Turbo Project