Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

WTB-B6, B7 S4 Avant 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts
Default WTB-B6, B7 S4 Avant 6MT

Year: 2008
Make: Audi
Model: 0
Mileage (numbers only please): 40000
Color: Any
Price (no $ sign please): $25000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM Radio

Any help would be appreciated...interested in a lower mileage, or mid mileage S4Avant 6MT, would prefer B7(05-08). Would also prefer color other than Silver, Black, or white. Aware of most advertised in the usual places on line, including Audi enthusiast sites.

Distance not an issue, willing to pay a premium price, for a premium car.

As usual, records, clean history no stories car’s preferred, enthusiast mod’s a plus.

thanks
Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Bump...would also consider a B5 variant.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:13 PM
disgruntledcow
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a S4, but https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-6MT-45K-miles

B6/7 S4's have basically a throw in the garbage motor not far north of 100k... unless you're willing to spend big money on overhauling it.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:24 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

The main issue with the motors is the timing chain issue, not an inexpensive fix, lot's of other crap to repair on these as well. I've spent more keeping my S4 going than any other car I've ever used as a DD.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:29 PM
disgruntledcow
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
The main issue with the motors is the timing chain issue, not an inexpensive fix, lot's of other crap to repair on these as well. I've spent more keeping my S4 going than any other car I've ever used as a DD.
Worse than the timing chain issue is the cylinder bore coatings wearing off, causing excessively high oil consumption. Unless you go in and redo the whole motor at 120k, they're a ticking bomb. Time and time again Ive gone through this rodeo with my clients, I always advise people to stay away from these unless you get them at a very low mileage and get out of it before 100k.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM
wheels5550
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pu911rsr
This. I LOVED my B5 S4 (heavily modded, 485awhp), but sold it due to the crazy maintenance and have talked myself out of the B6/7 for the same reason. They are fantastic, but like others have said lots of $$ maintenance.

Good luck with the search!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Any help would be appreciated...interested in a lower mileage, or mid mileage S4Avant 6MT, would prefer B7(05-08). Would also prefer color other than Silver, Black, or white. Aware of most advertised in the usual places on line, including Audi enthusiast sites.

Distance not an issue, willing to pay a premium price, for a premium car.

As usual, records, clean history no stories car’s preferred, enthusiast mod’s a plus.

thanks
Sounds like fun
GLWTS
PM ilko for his S4Avant ownership joys

My 2011 below..................... 4 cylinder.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:46 AM
Hal
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Since many/most of us are familiar with the cost of rebuilding a Porsche motor, how does the S4 V8 compare?

We had a new 2004 S4 that we sold for all the wrong reasons. Lately, I find myself looking at these cars again wondering how expensive they are, now 15 years later.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:51 AM
cmd4
Pro

Talking

Avoid the negativity...it's kinda like the SAI issue with 993''s. Some are affected..some aren't. Yes the guides will potentially need to be replaced at some point,but nothing beats a v8 wagon with a third pedal. I've owned one with no issues and regret selling. FWIW I now have a RS4 and have considered selling just to get back into a S4 avant. They're a blast, and the looks you get with a wagon and v8 rumble are priceless
Old 01-13-2019, 09:12 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cmd4
Avoid the negativity...it's kinda like the SAI issue with 993''s. Some are affected..some aren't. Yes the guides will potentially need to be replaced at some point,but nothing beats a v8 wagon with a third pedal. I've owned one with no issues and regret selling. FWIW I now have a RS4 and have considered selling just to get back into a S4 avant. They're a blast, and the looks you get with a wagon and v8 rumble are priceless
Honestly, I considered the chain guide/tensioner issues exactly like the valve guides in the 993. Not a lot out there for an S4Avant, any vintage. Many have been for sale for months...and months. Most on the market have lots of previous owners, and virtually no maintenance history. Pricing is all over the place too..

I went a different route. Saturday I bought an 09 Cayenne GTS 6MT, 2 owner, 92 k miles, delivered and serviced at the same Porsche dealer since new. Having full records(almost) is both a blessing and a curse...naturally you know what’s been done, but you also know what hasn’t.

Silver, stock black leather/Alcantara interior, PDCC, bi-xenon lights, towing pkg, larger rear spoiler, and a recently upgraded Porsche head unit...Nav, etc. Talked at length with the service “ambassador” at the Pcar dealer, knows the Ute , and previous owner well. The GTS got whatever it needed, always maintained. Only concern was the 9 Cleveland winters it endured, again reference the got whatever it needed reference above.

PDCC pieces replaced when needed, etc...EVERYTHING works perfectly. The thing is a hoot! Already digging into the slippery slope.

Also, I have a pretty comprehensive list of S4 Avants available across the country at the moment. Actually the best two are here on the East coast, but have been FS for 7-10 months...so something must be wrong.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:34 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Having owned both a S4 and Cayenne TT S similar miles and years - the Audi has cost at least 5X in maintenance costs- that is a little surprising to me. I loved my S4 but I would not buy another V8 powered S4 under any circumstances. Congrats on the Cayenne.

Phil
Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 AM
willskiGT
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

Also, I have a pretty comprehensive list of S4 Avants available across the country at the moment. Actually the best two are here on the East coast, but have been FS for 7-10 months...so something must be wrong.
Not necessarily. Pricing may be off, or buyers are just wary because of the many issues these cars can have.

Quick Reply: WTB-B6, B7 S4 Avant 6MT