Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Blk/Blk

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 05:51 PM
blaise9902
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Blk/Blk

Year: 1996
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: 993
Mileage (numbers only please): 105600
Color: Black
VIN: WP0AA2991TS323142
Price (no $ sign please): $52000
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): NorthEast
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 4 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

For sale is my 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S. The car is a driver, so if you are looking for a garage queen concours car, this is not the one. If you want a reliable, bulletproof widebody 993 in a desirable color combination with great options at a competitive price – read on.

I purchased the car in June 2012 with 76k miles on the clock, it currently sits at ~106k miles. I’m an active duty military officer and move often, thus the car was in storage in Alpharetta, Georgia from July 2012-June 2013 while I was deployed to Afghanistan, stored in Santa Barbara, CA from December 2013-March 2016 while I was stationed in Hawaii, and most recently stored in Fredericksburg, VA while in Ukraine from November 2016-June 2017. During 5 years of ownership, I’ve actually lived in the same state as the car for ~15 months. This is my primary reason for selling, 993 ownership is simply not compatible with my career.

Having added 30k miles to the odometer, I obviously drove the hell out of the car during those 15 months. When I say I would drive this car across the country tomorrow - it’s not hyperbole. Nearly all the miles I’ve put on the car have been interstate, including 1k-mile + trips in June 2012 (Seattle to LA to Iowa to Georgia), June 2013 (Georgia to Boston to Iowa), November 2013 (Iowa to Georgia), December 2013 (Georgia to Santa Barbara, photos here: http://imgur.com/a/VoTRv), and March 2016 (Santa Barbara to Iowa to Virginia). When the car was in storage, it was always garaged and on a trickle charger, with annual oil changes, and started and driven either by myself or a trusted friend every month to keep the fluids moving.

I am the 8th owner. The 3rd and 6th owner was the same guy (he sold it, regretted it, and bought it back a few years later, see link here: http://www.autobahnbound.com/2009/09...orsche-wrap-2/). Car was originally purchased in Missouri, was sold and shipped to WA in 2001, where it was picked up by me in June of 2012.

I am currently attending training in the DC metro area. I am more than willing to deliver the car to any mechanic within a reasonable distance for a PPI – please be flexible on timing as my schedule can be unpredictable.

Stock options (see photo album for photo of option codes):
Hardback Sport Seats
Aluminum Package (gauges, shift ****, parking brake, door sills, wide oval exhaust tips)
Added options:
Motor Sound Package (motor sound airbox included, the motor sound exhuast was replaced with Fister Stage II and I did not keep the originals)
Complete M030 Suspension (at 15k miles)

The Good (or things I love)

• Interior overall is in great condition and gets compliments all the time. Stock sport seats shows light wear on bolsters. I haven’t seen a 100k mile 993 with an interior like this one.
• 90k major service performed September 2012 at Superior Autohaus in Roswell, GA. Spark Plugs and all belts were replaced, but was told the plugs/rotors/wires looked fine at the time, but 5 years on they will need replacing soon.
• 105k minor service performed a few weeks ago at Chapman Auto Werks outside DC. Air filter, cabin filters, and SAI check valve were replaced.
• Replaced lower valve gasket covers in July 2017 following development of slow leak. Engine has not leaked a drop since. Engine burns very little oil - I topped off with 1.5 quarts following my 4k road trip last year, and that was with the leaky valve gaskets. *edit* Noticed a few drops of oil last night (23SEP17) after the car has been sitting for a week. Timing chain cover looks like the likely culprit, but I'll defer to the experts/PPI. Price dropped $1500 to reflect this.
• Many (not all) receipts dating back to 1999. Motor Sound Package and M030 suspension were part of one big order from Andial in 1999. One of the previous owners performed his own 60k mile service, annotating the dates and mileage on a service sheet (included). Clutch was replaced at 50k miles.
• Fister Stage III exhaust installed June 2013, swapped for Fister Stage II in July 2017. Swapped with Rennlist member, exhaust has ~5k miles on it.
• Fister Golden Rod/Short shift kit installed by previous owner. Shifter was rattling when I purchased, this was fixed by Darin Fister while I was in his shop in April 2015.
• Cold A/C.
• Brand new rotors and pads at all four corners in June 2016 at ~104k miles (including new dampers and wear sensors). All genuine Porsche parts, including pads.
• Broken odometer gear in December 2014, replaced in April 2015 – the car was driven MAYBE 200 miles in between. Receipts for replacement gear and oil change records can validate low usage, car was still in storage in Santa Barbara during this time.
• Aftermarket HID headlights installed.
• Turbo S front scoops with HID fog lights.
• Car was purchased with an installed rear split ‘S’ grille. I wanted to go back to the stock look, so installed a new single grille in September 2016. Removed split grille included in sale.
• Rear spoiler wall replaced last year at same time as new grille.

The Bad (or things that need addressing)

• During August 2017 SAI service (see below, and receipt photo in album), I had my indie do a full inspection in preparation to sell. His list included:
o Plug wires beginning to crack open
o Rear swaybar bushings are coming out
o Front right axle boot (outer) is starting to squirt grease
o Suspension bushings look old & dry
o Brake hoses (rubber) look old & dry
o Both low speed fan resistors (a/c condenser and oil cooler) are dead
o Likely front tie rod bushings are worn
o Shocks look old and suspension feels tired
• SAI Check Engine Light. Bottom line up front: the CEL is not currently on and I anticipate no issues passing smog. Again, in the interest of full disclosure, the P0410 and P1411 codes came on for the first time in April 2016 at the end of my 4k drive across the country. I reset the code, and it came back on ~300 miles later. Took the car in fully prepared to flush the ports in August 2017 prior to sale, but on the advice of the mechanics I only replaced the SAI check valve and the control valve. I have driven the car 500 miles since this service, with no return of the CEL, but wanted to offer full disclosure.
• Car was backed into by my Uncle when visiting him in June 2013 (he couldn’t see it parked behind his enormous SUV). Replaced damaged rear driver’s side rear lense, center reflector, and resprayed the rear bumper.
• Horn just started going off occasionally during braking in summer 2017. I just pulled the fuse, but would recommend replacing the wheel assembly bracket (I was quoted $400 at my indie).

The Ugly (or things that annoy me as an **** retentive type, but aren’t pressing)

• The front bumper and hood both badly need a respray. I got cut off by an 18-wheeler in June 2012 a few days after picking up the car, swerved into a closed lane to avoid getting sideswiped, and took out a few plastic cones (ugh). The clear bra keeps the paint on the bumper from flaking off, but is clearly fractured underneath, see pics. I didn’t bother fixing it, as I knew I was going to be driving it a lot and the clear bra keeps everything held together, but it needs resprayed to be 100%. This is also where the paint chip in the Turbo S scoops comes from. Otherwise the hood and front fenders just have normal battle scars from 100k miles of driving.
• Paint meter tells me the driver’s door was resprayed at some point. Have no records of this at all, so source is a mystery. There is a perfectly vertical crease in the door, only barely visible at certain angles (see photo), not sure how it got there, but probably related to the respray. Maybe a bad door ding?
• A small haze of thinned paint just to left of “Carrera 4S” script. Probably old bird poop or something that ate away at the clear coat, has been there since I got the car.
• Car was involved in a low-speed accident in 2006, front bumper was resprayed. Have all police records of the accident, driver of the 993 was distracted and gave a nice love tap to a Nissan Titan.
• Clutch was replaced at 50k miles. Zero signs of slipping, but has a high bite point, and needs some feathering in 1st to take off smoothly. This is the only 993 I’ve ever driven, so nothing to compare to. Could even be normal, but I notice it so I’ll add it under this category.
• Driver’s side headlight sometimes stops working for like, no reason. Maybe wiring? When I notice a headlight out, I just pop the hood, slide the headlight out, push it back in, and viola. There’s a full replacement HID set in the frunk as well, from when I originally thought it was due to a burned out bulb.
• The passenger side aluminum door sill freed itself from its 1996 factory glue in March 2016. Door sill needs to be cleaned and prepped before reapplying the aluminum one – no damage to the original part, it’s currently in the frunk.
• The fuel and oil level gauge needles are starting to fade, zero interest in pulling gauge needles out to repaint them.
• Porsche crest on hood is slightly dented in the middle, likely from someone pressing on it to close the hood (a previous owner, has always been like this in my ownership).
• Big Red calipers faded and need refinishing.
• Driver’s rear window rubber trim is separating from the window, see pics.
• Unfortunately, I do not have the stock wheels. The included 996 Turbo wheels have curb rash (see pics).
• Engine hesitates a bit at low RPMs after a cold start. From everything I’ve read, this is not unusual. Never had any issues once up to operating temps.
• Occasionally the ABS + ABD lights will come on together – have always gone away after a quick drive.
• Previous owner hard wire a Valentine 1 and installed a newer radio. Would like to replace with stock unit (included) and uninstall V1 (just personal preference). The V1 and both radios will come with the car.
• Car had replica Turbo spoiler installed when I purchased, which I sold immediately. Spoiler controls have never worked properly since I’ve owned the car – the center console control can lower and raise the spoiler while stationary, but does not lower or raise the spoiler at speed.
• “Carerra 4S” script on rear decklid is cracked. Barely noticeable.
• Front license plate must have flown off at some point on the journey east last year. Whoops. Car does have 2 bumper holes for the front plate.
• Put 4x new Sumi tires on the car prior to my drive from CA to VA in March 2016. Thus all tires have around 5k miles of wear. Driver’s side rear tire has magical ability to attract nails – picked up two on the drive east. Plugs have held fine with no issues, but would of course never recommend track use on plugged tires.
• Chip in windshield just above line of sight, barely noticeable.
• Frunk lid struts starting to go.

To-Do List (or things I would address if I was keeping the car)

• Replace oil & A/C cooling fan resistors.
• Refresh suspension.
• Replace steering wheel assembly bracket.
• Buy new front license plate holder.
• Refinish calipers in guards red.
• Respray front bumper & hood. Replace Turbo S bumper scoops with stock fog lights (included).
• Find and purchase widebody 993 Solid Spoke or Technology Twist wheels.
• Order new DME backup (the DME currently in the “backup” slot in the front fuse box is the old one, which threw a code in 2013 that it was on the way out. It never failed, however, so would likely work).
• Return radio to stock, remove Bluetooth microphone.
• Uninstall V1.
• Re-wire rear spoiler controls.
• Replace lower center console lights (burned out due to age).

Included stuff (all replacement parts genuine Porsche)

• Covercraft windshield sun shade, purchased new in April 2016.
• Covercraft rear decklid cover, purchased new in April 2016. Fit is for a Targa, needs to be trimmed to fit perfectly. Works fine while stationary, tends to end up in the back seat while driving (I’m not about to stick Velcro on the decklid I’m trying to protect).
• Carrera “S” split rear grille I removed in fall 2016.
• Genuine Porsche fitted outdoor cover
• Generic fitted indoor cover
• 2x keys w/ fob immobilizers (no switchblade keys)
• Original CDR-210 radio
• Original shift rod (replaced by Fister Golden Rod)
• Trickle charger, plugs into cigarette lighter
• Valentine 1 radar detector installed and hard wired
• Spare HID bulbs for headlights
• Stock fog light lenses
• Bentley’s Porsche 993 Service Manual, purchased new in 2013
• Book of receipts, including 2x previous PPI’s (mine from June 2012 includes leakdown results). I have nothing from the original owner, but receipts from the ensuing six.

Full album of photos can be found here: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0TJtdOXmJtx7mP

Please don't waste my time with lowball offers. This is already the lowest priced manual WB 993 on the market. Title in hand and ready for a quick sale.

Contact me at kevintandersen (at) gmail.com

Thanks!
Attached Images     

Last edited by blaise9902; 09-27-2017 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Price Update
Old 09-20-2017, 01:30 PM
blaise9902
Intermediate

Bump for updated price, reduced from $57,600 to $55,000.

Happy to entertain offers, definitely understand it's the end of the driving season and the 993 market has cooled off.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:20 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

What a great driver with sport seats! GLWTS.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:10 PM
blaise9902
Intermediate

Originally Posted by chsu74
What a great driver with sport seats! GLWTS.
Thanks! Took me a few years of searching and timing to finally nab a black WB with sport seats. They just fit the car so perfectly.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A C4S that you can actually drive with no worries about adding miles, rock chips, etc. I love the sport seats and the 996 turbo wheels.

Seller seems very honest and realizes the car has some needs, and sounds like he is flexible on pricing. More importantly; thank you for your service to our country!
Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM
blaise9902
Intermediate

Bump/updated price

Noticed a few drops of oil this morning, crawled underneath for some photos and it looks like the timing chain cover. Price dropped another $1500 to reflect the typical indie price to address a timing chain cover gasket job.

edit: added photos of leak/underside/engine
Attached Images    

Last edited by blaise9902; 09-24-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 09-27-2017, 03:34 PM
blaise9902
Intermediate

Bump for price drop, appreciate everyone who has reached out. Motivated seller, entertaining offers. No trades at this time.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:09 PM
blaise9902
Intermediate

Car is SOLD, appreciate everyone's interest! Great car off to get the refreshing it deserves.

Quick Reply: 1996 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S Blk/Blk