Notices

My Tow Setup: 40' Intech Gooseneck / Ram Mega Dually

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 01:34 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i like having a gen compartment with a slide since there are very affordable, quality 7 to 10kw generators for wellless than an onan. and every tiem ive had a commercial onan built into an RV, where there is an issue, its a headache. you either have to take the monster to the service guy or have him come out. lately, we've found great success with the 7k honda eu generators. super quiet, the massive downside is that the fuel storage is like 7 gallons? so you aint living without fueling up each day or every other day which isnt so bad since for a track trailer, you're near fuel.
but for airlines, id put them in. the cost is so cheap for the airline packages on the intechs, makese sense to put in even fi you dont use. never know when it can be handy. agreed that electrical tools is what most use but nice to have air, and a cheap compressor and not have hose running everywhere, adnif you dont use it, its $175. only.

my main issue with the onan and the idea of an inframe tank for fueling the toys is that if the hose, wiring goes bad, you have some issues trying to resolve it. sometimes simple is better. we had an antennae cable go bad a few trailers ago. its within the walls of the trailer. no fix to that. put in new, afix to wall and move on.
if that tank goes bad, the fuel lines go bad, you have issues. adding complexity for something as simple as some dump cans.

sometimes, less is more.

Originally Posted by jrbkarter
Pondered but ultimately scratched off for one major reason- flexibility. However, that can be broken down into several smaller reasons. First and foremost frequency of use of the trailer and therefore the fuel in it. We have the built in fuel tank for the genset and are running fuel stabilizer in it for the prolonged times that fuel will sit without being used. When it comes to a commercial generator, I'm not too concerned about it the overall fuel quality when it eventually gets burned. However, would I want to worry about exactly what octane that 93 pump that I pumped into the trailer 6 months ago is really at when I run it in my 991 GT3? Not so much.

Second- no guarantee what fuel we'll need for any given event/vehicle/tune. Chris rotates through cars fairly regularly and at any given point there may be a track car that runs only on 100+ unleaded race gas, or a modified street car that's tuned for E85, or any combination in between. Fuel jugs give us the capability to mix/match/rotate as needed.

Third- facilities/parking arrangements/fuel refill rules. Can't always guarantee you'll be able to park the trailer such that you can reach the side with the fuel fill hose with a car- so now you're transferring into jugs anyway. Maybe you're at a place with rental garages so you've rented a garage- but you still need to bring the car back to the trailer to put fuel in it every other session.

Overall, for us, it boiled down to not being the best solution for our scenario. I'm sure for others where they know they're going to be using X car, for Y years, at Z track(s), and there are no shifting variables to that equation, a built in dispenser system makes the most sense.

Funniest part about it is you start out building your trailer and thinking it's going to be a straight forward process, then you realize the amount of thought and planning that goes into every scenario you may or may not encounter, and then prioritizing those needs. Another great example is the lack of built in air-lines/ air compressor on our trailer. It's a semi-common option on higher end trailer builds but we weighed it and realized we use or would use newer style battery powered tools for any compressed air tool instead. So, that left us with this expensive option and another component to maintain (compressor) just to put air in tires... Lot easier to store our faithful small electric compressor in a cabinet and pull it out as needed to fill the tires instead.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:25 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
From the looks of it you just have to R&R two pins. What am I missing?
The diagonal braces are bolted into the frame. To fold the rack up you'd have to remove those bolts. Nothing terribly inconvenient but it's not a simple pin removal procedure.

With that to say - one could replace the bolts with pins and simply the procedure. I hadn't thought of that honestly.

That particular rack is quite sturdy. I really like it.

- Chris.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:40 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
The diagonal braces are bolted into the frame. To fold the rack up you'd have to remove those bolts. Nothing terribly inconvenient but it's not a simple pin removal procedure.

With that to say - one could replace the bolts with pins and simply the procedure. I hadn't thought of that honestly.

That particular rack is quite sturdy. I really like it.

- Chris.
Interesting!

Thanx Chris. From the pic I thought those were pins and not bolts. Its good to know that others have experience with products and are willing to share.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Interesting!

Thanx Chris. From the pic I thought those were pins and not bolts. Its good to know that others have experience with products and are willing to share.
Definitely!

I have some real pictures of it installed on the 28' that Monochrome now owns. I will dig them up and post them for you.

One thing we did was flip the bolts such that the bolt head is on the outside and the nut/thread was on the inside. In order to prevent scratching a wheel, I used rubber vacuum caps over the exposed threads.

We found out the hard way how having the arrangement flipped the other way resulted in an unintended head injury!

- Chris.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:19 PM
Notenoughtoys
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
i like having a gen compartment with a slide since there are very affordable, quality 7 to 10kw generators for wellless than an onan. and every tiem ive had a commercial onan built into an RV, where there is an issue, its a headache. you either have to take the monster to the service guy or have him come out. lately, we've found great success with the 7k honda eu generators. super quiet, the massive downside is that the fuel storage is like 7 gallons? so you aint living without fueling up each day or every other day which isnt so bad since for a track trailer, you're near fuel.
but for airlines, id put them in. the cost is so cheap for the airline packages on the intechs, makese sense to put in even fi you dont use. never know when it can be handy. agreed that electrical tools is what most use but nice to have air, and a cheap compressor and not have hose running everywhere, adnif you dont use it, its $175. only.

my main issue with the onan and the idea of an inframe tank for fueling the toys is that if the hose, wiring goes bad, you have some issues trying to resolve it. sometimes simple is better. we had an antennae cable go bad a few trailers ago. its within the walls of the trailer. no fix to that. put in new, afix to wall and move on.
if that tank goes bad, the fuel lines go bad, you have issues. adding complexity for something as simple as some dump cans.

sometimes, less is more.
Thanks for all the insights on the built in fuel tank, the lack of all the things you mentioned on flexibility are great points. Plus my main track has fuel right outside the main gates. Not considering built in fuel tanks based on this advice.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:26 PM
fleming23
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a 3 year old thread, sorry to bring it back up.

I just wanted to let you know that I used your example this week when building my 40' inTech. I too had a tag, but a 24', that I decided to upgrade. I had 12304 and 12315 as examples and took a little from both but will have nearly the same trailer as what you spec'd. Unfortunately build time right now is much longer than my first 24' I had built by RPM, but I'm excited none-the-less.

Honestly I did not even find this thread prior to building, and wish I had, because it answered several questions I had for Brad when placing the order. The photo of the fuel storage for example was not available and is super helpful to see now. Not sure if you ever sold this for your stacker/toter but if so, someone got a well thought-out trailer.

Quick Reply: My Tow Setup: 40' Intech Gooseneck / Ram Mega Dually