Notices

My Tow Setup: 40' Intech Gooseneck / Ram Mega Dually

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 02:01 AM
Hams955
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have found it is quite easy to hook on to the GN setup with my Ram. I can easily do it by myself in under 5 minutes. I have the rear cab camera that displays a view into the bed. The angle was a little tricky to get the alignment perfect on to the ball but I have mastered it. I love the GN setup. I have pulled the entire rig well beyond 90mph passing on the interstate and it is very stable.

I did have to re-learn my turning angles

- Chris.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:02 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hams955,

Does your airline track sit centered under your wheels? Or, are they slightly inboard?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:19 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Default backup camera on trailer

what are you all doing with a camera on the trailer for reversing?
ive seen some decent garmin RV Gps that connect wirelessly to a garmin camera, comes on when you go reverse or you flip to it.

would be nice if you could have that override the RAM backup camera when its connected. maybe a way to build a connector that you snap out the RAM tailgate connector and snap in the trailer connector so you can see on the ram screen.
id imagine is teh same type of camera, X # of wires.

anyone done some of this??
Old 08-03-2017, 03:37 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
The doubles are 7500# axles so it has plenty of carrying capacity. The tires are upgraded 17.5" that are F code load index. They have plenty of capacity in the event of a blowout.

Just in case however:

Attachment 1190958

I love the hidden floor winch. I have since stopped driving the car into the trailer. I use the wireless remote to pull the car into the trailer while I walk next to it and guide it in. Have the wireless winch makes loading the car by myself a breeze. I wanted to have a setup that I could run 100% by myself.

The truck has a camera for the bed so I can easily line up the goose to the hitch. The powered landing gear makes dropping the goose onto the truck super easy.

Having the air ride system in the ram is pretty amazing too. The trailer, fully laden, drops the truck about 12". The air system detects the load and levels the truck within a matter of seconds. The ride quality under tow is pretty awesome.

Overall I am extremely happy!

- Chris.
AWESOME!!
Old 08-03-2017, 05:15 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

just a shout out to chris. very gracious dude, helped me a bunch. I'm working on something similar and got a ton of great ideas from him, helped me with pricing and pointing in the right direction in a few areas. very much appreciative of his time and willing to help others.

his rig is fantastic in many ways beyond the photos. great stuff.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:17 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
Hams955,

Does your airline track sit centered under your wheels? Or, are they slightly inboard?
Slightly inboard of the wheels. We use the Rennline tie down hooks on the cars to direct ratchet Mac's straps to "double" hole tie downs in the airline track.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:22 AM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by spg993tt
just a shout out to chris. very gracious dude, helped me a bunch. I'm working on something similar and got a ton of great ideas from him, helped me with pricing and pointing in the right direction in a few areas. very much appreciative of his time and willing to help others.

his rig is fantastic in many ways beyond the photos. great stuff.
Anytime brother!

This is a community and I am happy to help others any way I can. I learned a lot along the way in this process.

I hope to have the opportunity to build another one someday!

- Chris.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 AM
Hams955
Pro

ive seen some decent garmin RV Gps that connect wirelessly to a garmin camera, comes on when you go reverse or you flip to it.

would be nice if you could have that override the RAM backup camera when its connected. maybe a way to build a connector that you snap out the RAM tailgate connector and snap in the trailer connector so you can see on the ram screen.

I wish there was something like that which is offered OEM from the new Ford HD trucks or the aftermarket in the GMC/Chevy.

I don't believe there is anything that integrates with the reversing camera and screen.

Honestly at this point we just use a ground guide. The trailer is big but not so big that you cannot manage it.

My biggest adjustment going from the bumper to the goose was learning not to cut my corners too soon. The goose turns so much faster than the bumper!

The ram is awesome but a modern trailer camera setup would be really a nice add.

- Chris.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:33 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
I wish there was something like that which is offered OEM from the new Ford HD trucks or the aftermarket in the GMC/Chevy.

I don't believe there is anything that integrates with the reversing camera and screen.

Honestly at this point we just use a ground guide. The trailer is big but not so big that you cannot manage it.

My biggest adjustment going from the bumper to the goose was learning not to cut my corners too soon. The goose turns so much faster than the bumper!

The ram is awesome but a modern trailer camera setup would be really a nice add.

- Chris.
The new Chevy's an option that has a fully integrated tow cameras now including a camera you can attach to your trailer. It looks pretty slick and can probably be added at the dealer.
Old 08-05-2017, 08:47 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Steve,
In my previous Ram I installed something called NAVTV behind my radio screen. I did it so we could watch movies while moving. It allowed me to force the rear view camera ON while moving. In the wiring harness of the NAVTV there were 2 or 3 additional S-video cables so you could add additional cameras.
I don't know if they still make a device like this for new model Ram. It worked great. If you go this route make sure you leave a micro USB cable attached and sticking out somewhere where you can access it to change programming.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:25 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by skxf430
The new Chevy's an option that has a fully integrated tow cameras now including a camera you can attach to your trailer. It looks pretty slick and can probably be added at the dealer.
Correct, IntelliHaul is a factory option on the '17 and up. It can be added to older models that have IntelliLink. I added it to my '16 2500HD. It's a nice set that has blind spot cameras on the side mirrors and the reverse camera for the back of the trailer. Can also add a 4th camera, which I'm adding inside the trailer
Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

crhis, what generator and size KW are you running? any issues with it when running both ac units? are those heat and AC or just ac?

i found with myh big RV and even like a 12kv onan, if i ran all 3 generators, only two would run, didn't havethe juice for 3.
shore line plugged to land power, sure, but generator, only 2.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

crhis, what generator and size KW are you running? any issues with it when running both ac units? are those heat and AC or just ac?

i found with myh big RV and even like a 12kv onan, if i ran all 3 generators, only two would run, didn't havethe juice for 3.
shore line plugged to land power, sure, but generator, only 2.
That's weird. I have a 10k Onan and we can run 3 AC and the washer and dryer all at once no problem. Have you had it looked at? Sometimes the transfer switch gets screwy in a way that leaves you with one 30 amp circuit and as a result only some of the AC will work. That or a breaker on the gen itself might be tripped.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:20 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DTMiller
That's weird. I have a 10k Onan and we can run 3 AC and the washer and dryer all at once no problem. Have you had it looked at? Sometimes the transfer switch gets screwy in a way that leaves you with one 30 amp circuit and as a result only some of the AC will work. That or a breaker on the gen itself might be tripped.
depends ont he btus. those 13500 btu ACs i think require like 5.5Kw max draw. i think they have a locked rotor amps which his i guess when it first kicks on how much it spikes. most say a 13500 btu ac needs like a 3kw generator. once on , it settles back to like 1800 kw draw, so yeah, 3x ac units if efficient with startup amps/volts might be fine on the 10k.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:46 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 160 Posts

depends ont he btus. those 13500 btu ACs i think require like 5.5Kw max draw. i think they have a locked rotor amps which his i guess when it first kicks on how much it spikes. most say a 13500 btu ac needs like a 3kw generator. once on , it settles back to like 1800 kw draw, so yeah, 3x ac units if efficient with startup amps/volts might be fine on the 10k.
We have 2 15k and a 13,500; but the RV electrical controller panel we have is pretty trick. They never start up all together. I'd still have a look at yours. 12K should be plenty after start up.

End threadjack.

Quick Reply: My Tow Setup: 40' Intech Gooseneck / Ram Mega Dually