Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Trucks and Trailers (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers-239/)
-   -   Bumper pull vs. Gooseneck trailer (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers/994105-bumper-pull-vs-gooseneck-trailer.html)

scooteria681 06-07-2017 05:43 PM

Bumper pull vs. Gooseneck trailer

Looking for opinions out there for a new trailer I plan on buying....
I have a 24' 10 year old bumper pull steel trailer that weighs about 5000# and can haul about 5000#. It gets the job done, but I am interested in getting something equipped exactly how I would like. My biggest want is the premium escape door as it gets old climbing in and out of the window. If I go bumper pull, it would be an ATC or InTech aluminum 24' enclosed. However, I have driven goosenecks before (back in my younger days,) and I remember how easy they were to pull even fully loaded. I tow with a 2015 F250 diesel (single rear wheels,) so the truck isn't an issue. Is it worth the extra cost of a gooseneck, probably a 32' one, for ease of towing and extra room in the end cap? Or, stick with the aluminum bumper pull and save money to spend on the car, tires, brakes, etc.? Most of my trips are between 4 to 7 hours driving one way to tracks in my area.
Has anyone made a similar decision or change?
Thanks.

pmason 06-07-2017 08:00 PM

I just went from a 24ft tag to a 36ft gooseneck, nice to have the extra room, pulls so much better.

ExMB 06-07-2017 08:02 PM

How loaded was your 24'? How much more are you wanting to load? Establish a ratio between price difference vs added wants. Compare?

The premium escape door on the Intech is larger than on the ATC. But the ATC supplies additional support bars (in addition to the rods) for added safety in windy conditions.

Here is a pic with dimensions of a 24' Intech

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...323a7bcbdc.jpg

scooteria681 06-07-2017 08:20 PM

I am right around 9000-9100# with the car and all of the various crap I seemed to "need." I really don't need to bring much more stuff at all...it should fit into the 24' bumper pull just fine. It's more of an ease of driving thing on longer or windy-er trips. One trip last year going into a head/crosswind of about 30-40mph was much more exciting than I wanted it to be coming home requiring two hands on the wheel all of the time.

ExMB 06-07-2017 08:26 PM

^

Was that with a weight distribution - sway control hitch?

scooteria681 06-07-2017 08:29 PM

Yes, I use a distributing hitch...can't remember the brand but it's a pretty standard one with the two steel bars near the hitch ball connected via chains to the welded plates on the trailer towing frame.

ExMB 06-07-2017 08:42 PM

So no sway control on the hitch?

scooteria681 06-07-2017 08:44 PM

sorry...I also use a friction sway control bar that also connects the near the hitch ball to the trailer frame that you tighten up with a 6" arm.

ExMB 06-07-2017 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by scooteria681 (Post 14240813)
I have a 24' 10 year old bumper pull steel trailer that weighs about 5000# and can haul about 5000#. ....

Originally Posted by scooteria681 (Post 14241149)
I am right around 9000-9100# with the car and all of the various crap I seemed to "need." I really don't need to bring much more stuff at all...it should fit into the 24' bumper pull just fine. It's more of an ease of driving thing on longer or windy-er trips. One trip last year going into a head/crosswind of about 30-40mph was much more exciting than I wanted it to be coming home requiring two hands on the wheel all of the time.

An Intech or ATC most likely will save you around 1000 - 1750 lbs depending on options

mooty 06-08-2017 01:43 AM

i have had 3 of each. GN attic isn't that mush storage vs bumper pull you put stiuff in truck bed. also it's hard to access GN attic, you can't stand up to move the heavy stuff.

THAT SAID. GN pulls way way way better. if you dont mind the $ and have the truck to do it, it would be moronic to get bumper pull. GN is that much better.

MK_TT 06-08-2017 12:20 PM

Both have their advantages based on your specific setup's with trucks and space available.

With that said if you have the truck and the space, I agree w/ Mooty ... GN

I would be happy to answer any questions on the Intech line, as I work directly with them.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...234302e961.jpg

skxf430 06-08-2017 03:37 PM

Mark,

That is an amazing looking rig there.

24Chromium 06-08-2017 06:34 PM

I never climb in and out of the car - too old and fat for that! I always winch it in and out of the trailer. True, it takes a bit more time, but better safe than sorry. And I can do it all by myself (without huge worry).

A really nice, heavy-duty winch is a HELL of a LOT cheaper than a whole new trailer. But... I agree a GN is the way to go, assuming you have your mind made up and the expense is no big deal.

Mussl Kar 06-08-2017 10:15 PM

GN. I know it is back there. But it does not feel like it is back there, and much less so then with my 06 SUPERDUTY. My 28 GN has 20' on the floor and an 8' "attic". Room for 4 tires on the floor and many more upstairs (rain tires). Generator up there too. Attic also can collect lots of stuff you have no idea where it came from. I would not go back to a bumper pull. Debating on 32-36 GN, or Stacker GN. Stacker GN seem to be a bit rare though.
Wireless winch, no side door needed.

DTMiller 06-09-2017 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by 24Chromium (Post 14243361)
A really nice, heavy-duty winch in a HELL of a LOT cheaper than a whole new trailer. But... I agree a GN is the way to go, assuming you have your mind made up and the expense is no big deal.

This is obviously the correct assessment across the board. If it's climbing out the window that's the problem, spring for a $500-600 winch setup and call it a day. If you want a new trailer (and you've come to the I-just-want-nice-things support group and enablement center) then get a GN.