Notices

ATC or Sundowner 18' open trailer anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 03:36 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default ATC or Sundowner 18' open trailer anyone?

I'm looking to buy an aluminum open trailer to haul my GT3RS. Being in California I'm not finding any used Trailex trailers which I think would be my first choice.

Anyone have any experience with either ATC or Sundowner brand trailers? They are about the only ones I can find within a 100 mile radius of my location. The Sundowner is local to me and appears to of very nice quality construction but what worries me is that it does not have a dove tail like the ATC trailer. Both have 7' ramps. The Sundowner has a removable fender, the ATC does not but I've measured and the door will open with no problem, which sounds like a better deal since I would not need to fool with removing it to exit the car. Both have 3500lb axles with electric brakes and 15" wheels.

Should I get a stone guard?
Old 05-23-2017, 12:13 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

ATC makes a very nice trailer. No question - get the stone guard regardless of what trailer you choose.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:07 PM
brownan
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 100 Posts

I've got the ATC open and formerly had a Trailex 8045. Personally I prefer the ATC. Fully welded construction, has the solid deck and lots of small nice features such as steps in front/rear of the fenders. The positioning of the D rings wasn't optimal so I got some track from Mac's and had it welded to the deck. Works great. Weighs a few hundred more than the Trailex but overall I think a more robust product for equivalent price.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:34 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brownan
I've got the ATC open and formerly had a Trailex 8045. Personally I prefer the ATC. Fully welded construction, has the solid deck and lots of small nice features such as steps in front/rear of the fenders. The positioning of the D rings wasn't optimal so I got some track from Mac's and had it welded to the deck. Works great. Weighs a few hundred more than the Trailex but overall I think a more robust product for equivalent price.
Thanks for that information. I haven't seen the ATC in person yet. Did you get an 18' trailer? Is the approach angle low enough or do you need ramp extensions?
Old 05-23-2017, 11:26 PM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Futuratrailers.com
I just got one and I love it.
Old 05-24-2017, 10:58 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Jockey
Futuratrailers.com
I saw this trailer at Lime Rock. If I was looking for an open trailer, this is the one I would get.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Futuratrailers.com
Saw this at NJMP, if I was in the market I would give this a serious look. Beautiful!!
Old 05-24-2017, 07:19 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SamG
Thanks for that information. I haven't seen the ATC in person yet. Did you get an 18' trailer? Is the approach angle low enough or do you need ramp extensions?
Do you have front end lift on your RS. It might clear if you have a beavertail on your trailer along with ramps that are at least 6' long and 15" trailer tires.

My friend has a Trailex and it just clears.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:22 PM
SamG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Saw this at NJMP, if I was in the market I would give this a serious look. Beautiful!!
Yes I looked at those online, very nice but more than I want to spend on an open trailer

Originally Posted by skxf430
Do you have front end lift on your RS. It might clear if you have a beavertail on your trailer along with ramps that are at least 6' long and 15" trailer tires.

My friend has a Trailex and it just clears.
Yes I have front end lift and it comes with 7' ramps so I think it should load OK. I don't think the Sundowner without the beavertail would work for this car.
Old 05-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Futuratrailers.com
I saw one at Palmer and it looked very nice, though the owner (you?) was having trouble getting one of the axles to lock back into place. I thought it was probably from flexing, but didn't see them before they left.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:43 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I compared both brands and chose sundowner. I think for somebody with an unlimited budget, ATC is probably the better route. I'm not convinced they are as well-made as the sundowner at the same price points. Meaning, I had to really load up the ATC to get to sundowners base level of quality in terms of materials used. This was for an enclosed trailer so different comparison, but I suspect same with open. Sundowner used heavier aluminum skin, same size spread axles, larger wheels, aluminum (not rubber) flooring, heavier D rings, list goes on. They have a long history with horses. Newer to cars. Not ATC bashing, I think they are the best, if you can afford to pay extra for some of these things.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:10 AM
GT3 Jockey
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
I saw one at Palmer and it looked very nice, though the owner (you?) was having trouble getting one of the axles to lock back into place. I thought it was probably from flexing, but didn't see them before they left.
So yes there are four safety latches that need to pop into place. The problem is if the trailer in on uneven ground i.e. Dirt at Palmer once the first one latches the winch stops. This is a built in safety mechanism so then you have to move the trailer until it's level and try to raise it again.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

So yes there are four safety latches that need to pop into place. The problem is if the trailer in on uneven ground i.e. Dirt at Palmer once the first one latches the winch stops. This is a built in safety mechanism so then you have to move the trailer until it's level and try to raise it again.
That's what we figured. I didn't catch back up to the person to see if moving it would get them all to lock.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:05 AM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

there was a sundowner at the track yesterday i looked it over....

i'd say it is on par with any of the better made example. nice welding work.

Quick Reply: ATC or Sundowner 18' open trailer anyone?