Notices

Who makes the best (strongest) tire rack for trailers?

Old 05-21-2017, 11:16 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Solk
Where are you located Rick? I had James at JPC Fabrication custom fab one exactly to my needs... FAR exceeds anything you can buy out there... I know you have an enclosed trailer but the concept of having something fabricated to your needs is a great option... Just another option to think about and it's not a rolling cart I had a couple of requirements for my specific needs:
1. Wanted it below the roof line of the Macan, not sticking up above the roof line.
2. I didn't want to lug tires from above the nose of the car and wanted to be able to roll them on/off due to a spinal fusion and hip replacement
3. Didn't wan't to lose "floor space" on the trailer itself.
4. Couldn't impact turning radius, trunk opening or overall ride.
5. I actually needed more tongue weight so this gets me to 10% of my total weight in tongue weight.
James met every single one of my requirements and then some...
What model of Macan do you have and how does it work towing your trailer/car?
Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rlm328
Have you considered going wall to wall? Some e track with beams (http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Van-Tr...Extends-to-103), run a ratchet strap through the middle hole to pull them down no problem, will hold 8 tires.

I will get pictures of mine tomorrow and post
Thanks
Yes actually did that in previous trailer and still under consideration for this trailer.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:44 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Plavan
Have you considered a rolling cart? After numerous head bangs on the wall mounted unit, I'm in love with a cheap simple cart that I tie down in the rear of the trailer.
Also great for transporting tires/wheels to get mounted at the track.

Adjustable for different tires.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
A cart seems to be such a no brainer, especially since it helps with taking the wheels on and off the trailer and to/from the car (has wheels), plus avoids lifting the wheels up on a rack. I'll consider it when/if I get an enclosed trailer.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
That thing is beautiful. What's the price ballpark for smth like this?
Thank you! It was right around the same price as having the vanilla Trailex tire rack installed... Was a no brainer for me to do something custom.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rick
What model of Macan do you have and how does it work towing your trailer/car?
That's a Macan S. With the Featherlite 3110 and my car I am about 450 pounds or almost 10% under what Porsche lists as Max Towing weight. (4600 lbs)

The Macan is actually a phenomenal towing machine believe it or not. Never ever lacking in power, if I put my foot down with the trailer behind me and the car loaded up I will still pull away from most things on the road, merging/passing/hill climbs are a non-issue, I average between 13-15.5 mpg towing (at a good clip) and with the seats down I can fit a set of rains, my tow ramps, tools and all my gear in the back without issue.

It has also run a 1:39 on NJMP Thunderbolt which for a crossover is pretty unbelievable. I tell people all the time I think it is the best "all around" vehicle on the road. Not much else that can run a track day then tow your track car and gear home and look and feel that good doing it

Ironically, I had them both at a Porsche show yesterday, the Boxster took 1st place and the Macan took 3rd!!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Thank you! It was right around the same price as having the vanilla Trailex tire rack installed... Was a no brainer for me to do something custom.
Just noticed that it won't fit two sets of wheels but very nice nonetheless.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:58 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hf1
Just noticed that it won't fit two sets of wheels but very nice nonetheless.
Correct... It is large enough for one set plus spares for the trailer... Any wider and it would start to impact turning radius. I had visions of me cutting it too hard and damaging the Macan backing it up so we cut it down. I throw my second set in the back of the Macan and load my gear on top of them. Also, that's a Featherlite 14 with a 17 you could do the rack facing the other way and go all the way across.

Thx again!
Old 05-22-2017, 09:35 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 280 Posts

I would like to talk to you about this, and I am is SE Ma. PM if interested. No sales BS but be prepared for a lot of questions. I am pretty good at designing stuff and have the mad skilz and equipment to make it happen.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 AM
phast930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a Macan S. With the Featherlite 3110 and my car I am about 450 pounds or almost 10% under what Porsche lists as Max Towing weight. (4600 lbs)

The Macan is actually a phenomenal towing machine believe it or not. Never ever lacking in power, if I put my foot down with the trailer behind me and the car loaded up I will still pull away from most things on the road, merging/passing/hill climbs are a non-issue, I average between 13-15.5 mpg towing (at a good clip) and with the seats down I can fit a set of rains, my tow ramps, tools and all my gear in the back without issue.

It has also run a 1:39 on NJMP Thunderbolt which for a crossover is pretty unbelievable. I tell people all the time I think it is the best "all around" vehicle on the road. Not much else that can run a track day then tow your track car and gear home and look and feel that good doing it

Ironically, I had them both at a Porsche show yesterday, the Boxster took 1st place and the Macan took 3rd!!

My manual shows 4409# or 2000 kg towing capacity, so you should still be good just a little closer to the max. I love the idea of towing with a Macan just wont happen with my 34' enclosed.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:10 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I am pretty much settled on wall mounting the tire rack again (this time through bolted ).
Existing rack is by Trailer Posse.
Interested in RennList thoughts on alternatives. Mostly concerned with strength and ability to fasten it to the wall in sufficient # of places.
Thanks
Found

here in different length that seems to offer additional attach points on the horizontal sections as well. Maybe there are other brands as well with different price points.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:38 AM
T&T Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
Found

here in different length that seems to offer additional attach points on the horizontal sections as well. Maybe there are other brands as well with different price points.
+1 have 2 mounted in trailer, use SS machine bot with nylock nut for bolt through for maximum safety.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Just ordered the deluxe version from Pit Products, which provides the extra horizontal bars allowing additional attachment points.
Thanks for all of the help.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:11 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Just ordered the deluxe version from Pit Products, which provides the extra horizontal bars allowing additional attachment points.
Thanks for all of the help.
Would you be willing to take close up pics of the corners and post those?
Old 06-13-2017, 08:44 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ExMB
Would you be willing to take close up pics of the corners and post those?
This should help
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...72772613762528
Old 06-22-2017, 02:04 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Where are you located Rick? I had James at JPC Fabrication custom fab one exactly to my needs... FAR exceeds anything you can buy out there... I know you have an enclosed trailer but the concept of having something fabricated to your needs is a great option... Just another option to think about and it's not a rolling cart I had a couple of requirements for my specific needs:
1. Wanted it below the roof line of the Macan, not sticking up above the roof line.
2. I didn't want to lug tires from above the nose of the car and wanted to be able to roll them on/off due to a spinal fusion and hip replacement
3. Didn't wan't to lose "floor space" on the trailer itself.
4. Couldn't impact turning radius, trunk opening or overall ride.
5. I actually needed more tongue weight so this gets me to 10% of my total weight in tongue weight.
James met every single one of my requirements and then some...

dang someone likes their vodka

great livery!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who makes the best (strongest) tire rack for trailers?