Notices

My new 24ft sundowner

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:22 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default My new 24ft sundowner

As I previously reported, love this brand, which is new to me. Think they made their mark with horses but have started making car haulers. Everything custom to order, in house. 100% made in USA. All aluminum, .50 gauge skins, extruded floors, 16 wheels/tires, spread axle, led lighting etc. Gonna go on it's first trip to California for Luft next week.

For anyone looking at ATC, featherlite, intech etc, I would recommend taking a close look at this brand. I found the "bones" quality to be same or higher on this brand than some of those others. Maybe not as "pretty" cosmetically, but I'm super happy with build quality.
Attached Images   
Old 04-27-2017, 01:19 PM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice trailer! I saw D2G is coating it for you. Good idea. I can't stand the black streaks that form down the sides of my nice white trailer
Old 04-27-2017, 01:37 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

thanks
yes, my last white trailer was always pretty nasty and tough to clean. hoping the coating will help a bit with power washing easier, but we will see...
Old 04-27-2017, 03:18 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

thx for the info

looking at one of their open alums and couldnt find anything outside of horse land on reviews
Old 04-27-2017, 03:52 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Looks nice. But I have to question the driver's side escape door design. Its not low or wide enough and needs inside mods to be (partially) useful. In regards to that a comparison to ATC or Intech doesn't seem fair since they have, what I would say, listened to their customers and created a useful and functional design.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

I agree that the escape door on ATC is the best. No question about that. But across a lot of other dimensions, they seemed to put more emphasis on cosmetic than on structural, when comparing apples to apples and dollars to dollars. Extruded aluminum floors, heavier duty d rings, e-/airline tracking, upgraded 16 inch wheels, 50 gauge aluminum skin instead of 30. These things are all standard with sundowner. There were a couple things I liked better with ATC. Like the escape door. But I certainly don't think that makes the comparison unfair. For 19K, I feel that I got a trailer with the bones that would've cost 25k+ in the ATC line
Old 04-29-2017, 11:22 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

The trailer looks really nice. Congratulations.
A few weeks ago I placed an order for a 28' 4926 FL. My previous was the same. I like 100% aluminum, no plastics, wood, ...
I did see this brand and they appear very nice, with horsey DNA, but I could not find one to go and see in person. Did you pick it up in TX? DD your dealer have any in stock?

What's the length? 24'?
Old 04-29-2017, 11:31 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Igooz
The trailer looks really nice. Congratulations.
A few weeks ago I placed an order for a 28' 4926 FL. My previous was the same. I like 100% aluminum, no plastics, wood, ...
I did see this brand and they appear very nice, with horsey DNA, but I could not find one to go and see in person. Did you pick it up in TX? DD your dealer have any in stock?

What's the length? 24'?
They are made in Oklahoma. Their largest dealer is in north Texas. So I drove there to look and buy etc. They have inventory. But you can also order. That's what I did.
It's a 24 ft. No relationship with the dealer other than satisfied customer. P.m. me if you want info. Loading up to tow to Luft next week.
Attached Images    
Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

^Thanks. Too late for me as I have one coming.
I do like the looks of Sundowner with the cladding on the side and the spread axle. That spread axle will get you a nicer ride with the longer wheel base and load stability, but you will be scrubbing those tires making tight turns. Thank you.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:27 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

One more from today. Headed to Luft in a couple days
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2017, 08:43 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Nice, but on that last shot, it's obvious that the escape door does not allow you to open the driver's door to get out easier.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:11 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Nice, but on that last shot, it's obvious that the escape door does not allow you to open the driver's door to get out easier.
Originally Posted by mrsullivan
They are made in Oklahoma.
That now rings a bell. I remember talking to them at one time and asked them about a larger escape door ala ATC and Intech. They told me they didn't think it would be structurally sound and therefore never pursuit it.
Old 04-30-2017, 10:21 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

I'm just sharing my experience. I easily open the door walk out of the car and walk out of the escape door. Perhaps this is not the case for all cars or different positioning in the trailer, but it works great for me and I tried it before I purchased.
Do I wish it had the huge ATC escape door? I absolutely do. Do I prefer the extruded aluminum flooring, thicker aluminum skin, larger wheels and tires, larger d rings, e/airline tracking and other structural upgrades as standard? Personally I do. To each their own and your mileage may vary. I'm not a sundowner dealer. Just a happy customer. ATC offers all of these things but they were all options and I fatigued on the thousand paper cuts of models, options ordering etc. The cheapest sundowner to the most expensive one use all the same heavy duty structural components and I liked that. Pick a size and configuration. Done.

Last edited by mrsullivan; 04-30-2017 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:35 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I'm just sharing my experience. I easily open the door walk out of the car and walk out of the escape door. Perhaps this is not the case for all cars or different positioning in the trailer, but it works great for me and I tried it before I purchased.
Do I wish it had the huge ATC escape door? I absolutely do. Do I prefer the extruded aluminum flooring, thicker aluminum skin, larger wheels and tires, larger d rings, e/airline tracking and other structural upgrades as standard? Personally I do. To each their own and your mileage may vary. I'm not a sundowner dealer. Just a happy customer. ATC offers all of these things but they were all options and I fatigued on the thousand paper cuts of models, options ordering etc. The cheapest sundowner to the most expensive one use all the same heavy duty structural components and I liked that. Pick a size and configuration. Done.
Your post has perked my interest. Sundowner is actually a good trailer maker. I called them up and got some information. They run 7' height versus the 6'6" on Featherlite and the extruded bottom end adds more weight. They told me at 24' the Xtra weighs 4,300 lbs whereas the Featherlite weighs 3,350! At 28' the weight difference is 1,100 lbs Your 24' should have also come with 16" aluminum wheels and 5,200 lb axles

Have you weighed your trailer?

For reference, we own around 250 Great Dane 53' box and 75 Western spread axles flatties along with 100 Freightliner Cascadias and 25 Kenworth W900 reward trucks. So this stuff is my business.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:53 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Igooz
Your post has perked my interest. Sundowner is actually a good trailer maker. I called them up and got some information. They run 7' height versus the 6'6" on Featherlite and the extruded bottom end adds more weight. They told me at 24' the Xtra weighs 4,300 lbs whereas the Featherlite weighs 3,350! At 28' the weight difference is 1,100 lbs Your 24' should have also come with 16" aluminum wheels and 5,200 lb axles

Have you weighed your trailer?

For reference, we own around 250 Great Dane 53' box and 75 Western spread axles flatties along with 100 Freightliner Cascadias and 25 Kenworth W900 reward trucks. So this stuff is my business.
My trailer is 4K pounds empty. Here's a picture from a trip this past weekend to California. Porsche inside. Gas station in the Mojave Desert.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: My new 24ft sundowner