Notices

2017 F350 SUPERDUTY, not 5 stars, yet.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts
Default 2017 F350 SUPERDUTY, not 5 stars, yet.

F350 Lariat with all options and every trailer option available. Just got it back from the dealer, had to bring it there with the trailer to finish installing the options. Options include trailer TPMS, and trailer rear camera. When I picked it up the first thing I did was to look at the bed connector for the gooseneck. 2017 is the first year these trucks come with factory goseneck and or 5th wheel, and trailer plug in truck bed. Referring to the short bed crew cab models.
No camera/TPMS plug present after dealer installation. Ford engineers decided to take a dump around this time. That connector was installed at the bumper pull area. So, if I want to connect TPMS and the rear end of trailer camera I need to drape the cord over the tailgate to the connector. WTF? Why did they not put that connector in the truck bed with the 9 pin?? Fail.
I really like this truck but this is a fail. Just pissed because they dropped the ball. Looks like some wiring is in my future.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't seen this, but off the top of my head, I would guess that installing a connector that's accessible to the gooseneck area would have put it in harm's way for loading something heavy into the bed. Care to share some photos of the 9 pin connector?
Old 04-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I haven't seen this, but off the top of my head, I would guess that installing a connector that's accessible to the gooseneck area would have put it in harm's way for loading something heavy into the bed. Care to share some photos of the 9 pin connector?
My new RAM has two trailer connections: one next to the license plate and one in the bed (driver side far corner) that came with the gooseneck prep. I would think that Ford does the same thing. Was it simply an omission? It shouldn't be too hard to remedy.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

There is a standard 9 pin connector in the bed, drivers rear area. With the maxed out trailer towing options you get integrated trailer TPMS and a rear view camera for the back of the trailer. This requires a separate connection point. Dealer swaps out the combo 9 pin/4 pin on the bumper for a 9 pin/lot of pins connector for camera and trailer TPMS. But there is no provision for the camera/TPMS in the bed. That wire will need to drape over the tailgate and hang down. Ford also sends a 9 pin to 4 pin adapter in case you need to pull a 4 pin trailer. The whole thing just looks like a major oversight by Ford. Something so easy and simple to do, but not done.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:02 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
My new RAM has two trailer connections: one next to the license plate and one in the bed (driver side far corner) that came with the gooseneck prep. I would think that Ford does the same thing. Was it simply an omission? It shouldn't be too hard to remedy.
Same.

I would think any good truck shop could add the option though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 F350 SUPERDUTY, not 5 stars, yet.