Notices

Enclosed Trailer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Accuride slides? I use them a lot and just bought 2 pallets. I cannot figure out what you are doing with the winch mast. It does not look to be aligned with the winch drum. And I can tell you from experience that a winch in a pit can look great, but totally suck to use. Single groove mast pulley will lump the cable on the drum. Sometimes enough to jam it. I had the cable slice through the fairleads once. The pulley needs to be a drum to let the cable pay back and forth and the drum diameter needs to be at least the same diameter of the winch. If smaller then the cable will get curled and be more of a PITA to deal with, and have broken wires to puncture your hands. Other slight issue is the pulley being down low. As your car gets closer it will start to compress the front suspension.
Other than that the rest of the build looks awsome.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:00 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=ngng;14717004]
Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
pretty slick. do the wheels help going over gaps (like the trailer ramp)?
Not sure. I'll try this weekend and report back.

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Accuride slides? I use them a lot and just bought 2 pallets. I cannot figure out what you are doing with the winch mast. It does not look to be aligned with the winch drum. And I can tell you from experience that a winch in a pit can look great, but totally suck to use. Single groove mast pulley will lump the cable on the drum. Sometimes enough to jam it. I had the cable slice through the fairleads once. The pulley needs to be a drum to let the cable pay back and forth and the drum diameter needs to be at least the same diameter of the winch. If smaller then the cable will get curled and be more of a PITA to deal with, and have broken wires to puncture your hands. Other slight issue is the pulley being down low. As your car gets closer it will start to compress the front suspension.
Other than that the rest of the build looks awsome.
The slides are " Hettich " slides, but hopefully get job done. So far so good.
As for the winch i'll make a video this weekend as i'm going to load the car on the trailer while making guides on door ramp for raceramps.
I would definitely appreciate advice if i did something wrong in the installation of that, i'll post video so you can take a look. As for the distance between the winch and front tow hook it's about 8 feet, therefore the car does not get clunk down from compression, i'll verify again this weekend.

Thank you for your input, much appreciate it.

Last edited by F1CrazyDriver; 01-10-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

[QUOTE=F1CrazyDriver;14723307]
Originally Posted by ngng

Not sure. I'll try this weekend and report back.

The slides are " Hettich " slides, but hopefully get job done. So far so good.
As for the winch i'll make a video this weekend as i'm going to load the car on the trailer while making guides on door ramp for raceramps.
I would definitely appreciate advice if i did something wrong in the installation of that, i'll post video so you can take a look. As for the distance between the winch and front tow hook it's about 8 feet, therefore the car does not get clunk down from compression, i'll verify again this weekend.

Thank you for your input, much appreciate it.
I should have guessed Hettich when I read 550 pounds since Accuride makes 500 # slides. Both good brands.
As for the winch, distance from mast to car is great. But distance from mast pulley to winch is very short and can cause the wire to bunch up in the middle of the drum. This will eventually jam the winch or start sawing on the fairleads. A drum pulley will help maybe a little. I had to use a ****** block and a tie down to pull the cable to one side during the pull in process as when bunched up it is very hard to get the cable un spooled. I abandoned the winch pit and mounted another winch on a sliding aluminum carriage that can align with a tow hook. Slide bar is bolted to the trailer front down members (goose neck) and cable spools evenly back and forth now.
I like watching what you have done so far. My trailer is due for a full refresh in a few months and luckily, can put it inside at my shop during that time.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:38 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow. Thanks for the video - I may try these out
Old 01-14-2018, 08:03 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

[quote=Mussl Kar;14727011]
Originally Posted by F1CrazyDriver
I should have guessed Hettich when I read 550 pounds since Accuride makes 500 # slides. Both good brands.
As for the winch, distance from mast to car is great. But distance from mast pulley to winch is very short and can cause the wire to bunch up in the middle of the drum. This will eventually jam the winch or start sawing on the fairleads. A drum pulley will help maybe a little. I had to use a ****** block and a tie down to pull the cable to one side during the pull in process as when bunched up it is very hard to get the cable un spooled. I abandoned the winch pit and mounted another winch on a sliding aluminum carriage that can align with a tow hook. Slide bar is bolted to the trailer front down members (goose neck) and cable spools evenly back and forth now.
I like watching what you have done so far. My trailer is due for a full refresh in a few months and luckily, can put it inside at my shop during that time.
I finished the ramps today. I'll finally be able to load the car, the way i want. I'll get that video for you, everything you have stated makes sense.

Originally Posted by fosbibr
Wow. Thanks for the video - I may try these out
No problem.

New pictures, guide's for location of where ramps should be placed, therefore no guessing and 100% centered. Also, installed the angle bracket that graps onto the race ramps, to avoid race-ramps slipping away.
I saw this video many years ago, and since then it's on the back of my mind. The point of the angle bracket is to avoid ramps sliding away. E-track to lock down tool box. Ikiea drop down basket, this is next to the side door. Roll up when not in use.
That's it. I'm ready to use it and rent out to local track guys . Pending winch works well.

Old 01-24-2018, 01:05 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Question.
For those whom have added a fuel tank with pump, which one do you recommend ? I'm thinking 50~ gallons should get me by for the weekend. I would like to install either 1) under the floor of the trailer or up front, right behind the tailgate of the truck. Front of the trailer.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:56 PM
etchhead
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Incredible trailer E- WOW!! Looking forward to getting back to the Bay Area. Maybe you can help spruce up my trailer??

cheers - MarkG
Old 05-01-2018, 03:21 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Thank you Mark, i'm not sure if my crafting skills are good but i'll try not to butcher your trailer, like i have w/ mine ! I got your email i will reply - glad to have you back in the bay - looking forward to seeing you soon

Quick Reply: Enclosed Trailer Question