Notices

I need some trailer input please.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:03 AM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some trailer input please.

ive think i have read every thread here, and they are all awesome.
Here's where im at. I just bought a designated track car.
2006 Cayman S fully prepped race car.
i currently haul with a trailex 7541 with all the add ons. tire rack, spare tire, two fuel racks for 4 jugs, hand crank wench and a tool box.
i haul with an F 150.
i will not be upgrading the f 150.

now for the trailer advice. Im going for enclosed.
i will not be racing, not for at least the next 5 years.
Im just a DE and open track events driver.

ive read all about the 24ft enclosed trailer as the must have for all reasons.
I dont have the room for a 24 on the side of the house. i just dont and that's where i want to keep it.
i think i can do the 22 and can easily do the 20.

i will be hauling with a F 150!!
im just starting my search and have seen tpd, atc, and intech.
im assuming i want an aluminum trailer for light weight towing?
i would like to keep it under $15k
let me hear from the brain trust of rennlist.

im looking for tire rack inside, 4 jugs, nitrogen holder, possibly electrical power. jack n stands storage.
what can i do inside a 20 or 22 ft trailer.
i dont need a macked out living quarters.
im looking to store the car inside the trailer with everything inside of it.
thanks
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 AM
htron435
Advanced

Based on your desired budget and the inherent limitations of your tow vehicle, I'd look at an ATC Raven 20' with the 2' wedge nose. It's a basic, no frills aluminum enclosed trailer that is very light weight (roughly 2500 lbs prior to the add ons). I personally would buy the extras on Ebay and install them yourself. Opinions vary about the flat nose vs. the wedge, but I can't help but think that the wedge will slightly limit headwind resistance when towing (although it will add a slight bit of surface area that will increase exposure to side winds). ATC build quality is excellent, and your resale should be very good if you decide to upgrade down the road.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:49 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

which year f150?

budget? if I can spend your money for you, I'll get real creative in a 20 or 22!!
Old 03-18-2017, 03:21 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

One thing we don't know is the info about your F150; V8 or Ecoboost = different tow ratings.
Also while some 20' come with 3500 lbs some 22' only come with 5200 lbs axles. Due to the possible different tire size it may increase your deck heights. Some 20' come with either a 2' or 4' wedge for increased room.
As stated below adding some stuff later on your own will avoid the "luxury tax" trailer manufacturer's will charge whereas some may not be worth the savings. One of the biggest cost option will be the driver's side escape door if you decide to get it instead of winching it. That escape door, due to its size, may limit your beaver tail size and drop.
For some rough pricing info on trailer and option pricing look at member's Martin S post here and download his attached spec sheet.
You can also go to the intech website and download some drawings for various configurations to help you plan out. Models, Specifications, Prints Link
Old 03-18-2017, 04:34 PM
C-gt3
Racer

2015 f150 v8 fx4 with tow package gvwr 7000lbs
im not limited on funds but i dont want to go all out either. i dont need a $25k+ trailer
if i have to upgrade next time around it will be with a f250 and macked out 24fter
i will sell the trailex mid summer. i bought it new around summer of 2013. not sure what i want for it.
its in pretty good condition but it has been stored outside. its needs a little cleaning up.
im only hauling to sebring and daytona. two hour hauls most of the time less unless i get stuck in orlando and just sit there on i 4.. i always love those trips to daytona through orlando.
thanks for replies guys.

one question i have is a v-shaped vs flat nose. whats my advantages?

Last edited by C-gt3; 03-18-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by C-gt3
i currently haul with a trailex 7541 with all the add ons. tire rack, spare tire, two fuel racks for 4 jugs, hand crank wench and a tool box.
I didn't know a wench was an option with trailer or i would have gotten one. Blonde, brunette, or redhead?

one question i have is a v-shaped vs flat nose. whats my advantages?
Your truck is fine to tow that. I have had both a V and a flat nosed trailer. I don't believe it made a bit of difference either in gas mileage or in more sway. YMMV As far as outfitting goes, if you have the inside walls finished, if you do a tire rack along the side wall, i think it's worth having preinstalled because i believe they reinforce the install. Otherwise, it's easy enough to install stuff yourself, and you can lay it all out and see how it works before installing it, which you can't do if you have to spec it out all ahead of time.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:20 AM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Something else to consider would be a featherlite. They are all aluminum, and come from the factory with unfinished interiors. Very very good trailers, and because of being unfinished, they are light. Not inexpensive though. Also, my perception is that there are not as many of these around as ATC or even InTech.

Also, if you are happy with your Trailex, maybe enclosed trailex? Just be sure to get one with the taller roof.

Either trailer can be fairly bare on the inside, you can then equip it as much or as little as you want.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 AM
C-gt3
Racer

i dont know to how multi quote. but its a redhead. aka "Dream Krusher"

ok, after stressing about this all weekend and like exmb said, swimming with info.
there is no budget. it's just laughable to even say budget, Porsche, and tracking all in the same sentence.
i have 25 ft of space on side of house. possible 8 inches of wiggle room
its either a 20 plus 2 ft wedge or maybe a 22ft with possible wedge.
https://www.trailersuperstore.com/sh...ch205-package/
if i look at something like this, what am i missing. what are the must have's?
i know i want a side door exit, and a possible night with a threesome of wenches.
based on this atc in the link what else do i want.
and keep it under $25k
Old 03-19-2017, 10:19 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Not sure of the total length, but this seems pretty close.
http://www.racingjunk.com/Car-Traile...from=search#28

One thing to consider is that a standard-fair 20-22' trailer is not in the sweet spot, and so might be difficult to sell/depreciate high dollar options. For example, racing junk had two 20-22' ATCs listed, and over 50 24' units. If you don't need to nest in your trailer, you might look at an enclosed Trailex or Mongoose, which will be fairly easy to sell and should meet your needs from a containment and options standpoint. Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:56 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

FWIW. No matter the size you will fill it up. 24 is 4' better than 20. Wish I bought a 24' but like you did not have the room so bought the 20'. Resale is not important to me. My 20 however holds quite a bit. Large tool box, winch, two 5' tire racks, car, ruckus pit bike and all accessories fit.

The single biggest issue in the plan is the truck. Big truck with small/light trailer is happier than small truck with light trailer. I had 7600 tow rating, trailer is about 7000. After 2-3 years diff on tow vehicle going bad, it cannot take the needed tongue weight. Bought a 2500 and never looked back. Invest in tow vehicle first.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

ive think i have read every thread here, and they are all awesome.
Here's where im at. I just bought a designated track car.
2006 Cayman S fully prepped race car.
i haul with an F 150.
i will not be upgrading the f 150.

now for the trailer advice. Im going for enclosed.
i will not be racing, not for at least the next 5 years.
Im just a DE and open track events driver.

ive read all about the 24ft enclosed trailer as the must have for all reasons.
I dont have the room for a 24 on the side of the house. i just dont and that's where i want to keep it.
i think i can do the 22 and can easily do the 20.

i will be hauling with a F 150!!
im just starting my search and have seen tpd, atc, and intech.
im assuming i want an aluminum trailer for light weight towing?
i would like to keep it under $15k
let me hear from the brain trust of rennlist.

im looking for tire rack inside, 4 jugs, nitrogen holder, possibly electrical power. jack n stands storage.
what can i do inside a 20 or 22 ft trailer.
i dont need a macked out living quarters.
im looking to store the car inside the trailer with everything inside of it.
thanks
7541 has a bed length iof 12' 9" OA length 19' 6"
ATC 20" has a bed length of 17' 11" OA length of 24' 3"

if the car comfortably fits on the 7541 it will fit an ATC 20'

Things to consider, w/o cabinets the ATc front Drings are 21" from the front wall, Is this enough room to store stuff and get around to tie down? remember that on an open trailer you access these from the street.

How much other stuff will be in the trailer, is there room enough in a 20'?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 PM
C-gt3
Racer

i could live with that trailex 80210HD model but im not paying full price for that thing.
im checking racingjunk also. doesnt have to be new, 3-5 yrs old works too.
actually wouldnt mind buying a used one all tricked up.
im lazy. turn key works for me
Old 03-19-2017, 02:23 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

the tongue weight is something that will sneak up on you, and the short trailers ( i have a 22' atc) dont give you as much room to reposition to try and offset the tongue weight.

If you were to build new, you can skip the ply behind the aluminum skin on the inside on the ATC to save weight. I'd put more infloor storage, as its bascically wasted space. I had ATC add compartments in the floor where I store jacks, stands, centerlock tools. For tire storage, I put them on beams above the back of the car to help balance the trailer and the car can be loaded unloaded with the tires in place.

Using an f150, I had to add airbags to keep the trailer/truck level, but you'll get close to the max load by the time you have it loaded with car and just a few items.

I'd also build it on 16 wheels so you can use LT tires instead of trailer tires.

I'd also get the factory to add as many of the options that you want over installing yourself....my time is more valuable than the little bit of money you'll save. Like the above poster mentioned, I know intech braces the wall and adds support brackets for preplanned wall mounted accessories. I'm sure ATC does the same.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:58 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
7541 has a bed length iof 12' 9" OA length 19' 6"
ATC 20" has a bed length of 17' 11" OA length of 24' 3" Thats assuming you have bottom cabinets. Without those there is more room.

if the car comfortably fits on the 7541 it will fit an ATC 20'

Things to consider, w/o cabinets the ATc front Drings are 21" from the front wall, Is this enough room to store stuff and get around to tie down? remember that on an open trailer you access these from the street. ATC doesn't allow customer d-ring placements like Intech?

How much other stuff will be in the trailer, is there room enough in a 20'?

See red above.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:18 PM
kurtkrum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also look at an InTech Lite. For the 20' length you might be able to get in your price range. The build quality is awesome and they come with extruded aluminum floors - a nice feature.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need some trailer input please.