Notices

Intech vs ATC aluminum trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:36 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts
Default Intech vs ATC aluminum trailer

Read through the threads on here and my head is swimming.

Basically what I got as cliff notes.

1) Priced about the same
2) Intech appears to be heavier, sturdier built
3) Both have the newer style larger escape door option
4) Options aren't necessarily the same - what is std in one might be an option in the other: i.e car hauler pkg with d-rings and beaver tail.
5) limited dealer network for those of us in no mans land

Pros? Cons? $0.02?

TIA
Old 12-28-2016, 10:49 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 104 Posts

I have nothing constructive to add here, but I did just now get home from an 800 miles road trip to Ohio to pick up my new ATC Raven and I'm excited about it! 8.5x20, basic model, which is all I need. I never cross-shopped with Intech FWIW.

Ride home was fine as long as I kept it under 75, and under 70 when passing tractor trailers. I don't currently have a weight distributing hitch or airbag setup.

Does any of that help???

Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd be interested to hear anyone's opinions on this topic as well. I've sold off my old steel Haulmark car hauler and now I'm looking for a replacement aluminium car hauler. I done tons of research in both these companies, but can't make up my mind.

I do have a ATC snowmobile trailer, which so far is kicking *** after one season. But, this trailer is on a different level than a really nice car hauler.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:31 AM
BlueBarchetta
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

When I was looking for my trailer, I was fortunate enough to be able to drive to, and tour both factories. Here's what I can tell you.

InTech was started by people who used to work for ATC, hence the similarity of design. The factories are located in the same town, roughly 5 minutes from each other. Both companies offer what I would consider to be excellent product, appeared to have good QC in place. At that time (about 3 years ago), ATC was a much larger operation, however InTech had the physical plant space to be just as large as demand dictated.

There are subtle differences in construction methods and materials. Some things you can't see; like on center spacing of wall studs, others you can; like cabinet latching hardware. No matter, both seemed very high quality.

The big differences for me, were price as configured, and subtle finishing touches that I preferred. I wanted a trailer that was all aluminum, including the floor. The all aluminum floor priced out much better with InTech. I also highly optioned my trailer, and all were more reasonably priced with InTech. Lastly, they were willing to do subtle things, like engineering the ramp extension to insure my car would load without dragging the low splitter. Basically, I felt InTech provided me a much more individual, customized experience.

You asked about weight. I will tell you, equipped the same, I'd be very surprised if there is 100lbs of difference in a 24 ft trailer. A friend has a heavily optioned ATC, it weighs basically the same as mine.

Over 3 plus years of ownership, I've been very happy with my choice of InTech. However I know people who bought ATC, and are just as happy.

My recommendation would be to figure out how you want the trailer configured, and price it out with both companies. Dealer support should be a factor too. However, I believe you will be happy with either company, and I think the quality from either will greatly minimize your after sale problems.

Happy to answer anything else.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:36 PM
kurtkrum
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got quotes from local ATC and InTech dealers. I am in Indy, so both factories are in my back yard.

Both trailers are evenly priced - with a loaded 24' trailer being within $500 of each other. The InTech with the Icon package comes with an aluminum floor. For a similar price I got slightly more features in the InTech. So I may go in that direction if I don't buy used.

One thing I will say is this: I am floored at how a trailer, which doesnt have steering, and interior, a motor, or anything else for that matter, costs more than a car. What a racket.
Old 01-03-2017, 09:38 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kurtkrum
I got quotes from local ATC and InTech dealers. I am in Indy, so both factories are in my back yard.

Both trailers are evenly priced - with a loaded 24' trailer being within $500 of each other. The InTech with the Icon package comes with an aluminum floor. For a similar price I got slightly more features in the InTech. So I may go in that direction if I don't buy used.

One thing I will say is this: I am floored at how a trailer, which doesnt have steering, and interior, a motor, or anything else for that matter, costs more than a car. What a racket.
I agree. Was just given a quote for $1700 for 10' ramps and 5" door bumpers based on car measurements. When I questioned their engineering and mentioned that my CAD program showed that race ramps would be enough they came back with "We left lots of clearance. Maybe we can look at 6' ramps with 3" bumpers."
Old 01-06-2017, 03:46 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was deciding between Intech and ATC also for a 24' enclosed. They priced out close to the same, although the Intech was a little less expensive. I chose the Intech because they seem to have more of a custom experience, in terms of getting me exactly what I wanted and where I wanted it.

I've had my Intech for almost 4 years now and it's held up great. The tongue jack is a little faded simply because it's plastic, but otherwise the exterior looks new.

As for service/warranty, I broke the door stop last year because I tried to shut the door and forgot it was attached. I called Intech to buy a new one as the warranty was long expired. They sent me a new one for free - I didn't even have to pay shipping. It's probably a $10 part, but it was still a nice touch.

Ultimately, I think you can't go wrong between these two. The ATC may have better resale though, simply because more people know it.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:02 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Drew_K
Ultimately, I think you can't go wrong between these two. The ATC may have better resale though, simply because more people know it.
AFAIK there are quite a few less Intech dealers than there are ATC dealers.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:52 PM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Between three good friends and a (soon to be) total of four combined ATC + InTech trailers between them, I've had a ton of experience with both product lines.

Both are high quality options and are significantly better than any of the popular steel brands. Differences between the two are minor but to me it boils down to what level of trailer you're looking for and certain key features.

ATC offers a broader line of trailers from their fully stripped, wood floor, unfinished units to their fully loaded Quest 405 line that can be customized to any wish. In between, as someone pointed out, is the Raven Plus line (started in MY 2015 IIRC) which combines the base trailer with a moderate finishing package that makes for an excellent price point for someone looking for a light to moderate duty finished aluminum trailer with basic cabinets/features.

Though Intech will sell you a "base" trailer as well you'll almost never find one, anywhere, and most will include their Icon package. The significant difference here is the flooring. With the Icon package, an Intech trailer will come with the extruded aluminum floor which has it's own benefits and negatives. Benefits- Lighter trailer weight (no plywood subfloor), longer lasting (no plywood to potentially rot, even if treated/protected), brighter overall interior means finding items on floor is easier. Negatives- harder on your knees when strapping car down/working on car, very slippery when wet. Neutal- cleanup- either sweeping or mopping- is pretty much the same between the extruded aluminum floor vs the ATC standard rubber dot. Intech does offer their "Lite" series now which is response to ATC's Raven line as a prepackaged non customizable package for at a lower price point.

To compare the two trailers evenly, price/feature wise, you'll actually need to compare an ATC Quest 405 vs an InTech Icon. Both of those options include the extruded aluminum floor, extended tongues, reverse beaver tails, spread axles, drop skirt, cabinets of some arrangement, LED lighting, etc, etc. At that point, the InTech is the cheaper option. However, you'll find most in stock Quests are the 305 which will match up most features to the Icon except for the flooring, which will instead be plywood sub floor with rubber dot on top. Here, the Intech will generally cost slightly more, depending on options, and both offer almost the same identical options with the InTech coming in slightly cheaper (such as the full size escape door, in floor winch, in floor spare, etc).

I'm currently in the process of spec'ing a completely custom 40' gooseneck InTech with one of my good friends to upgrade from his standard configuration 28' TAG InTech. The build is almost an anything goes after several years at various tracks deciding what we do or do not want/need and thus the price tag in options doubles the base trailer cost. Both manufacturers allow you this level of customization but we've found the InTech to be slightly more flexible in the feature set along with the pricing being better.

Long story short, to decide between the two- decide what level of features you're looking for relative to your usage type and amount, and then go from there. Having compared one friend's 2006 ATC to another's 2015 ATC, I do feel there has been a moderate decline in quality from ATC as they've become more popular as of late, but that's also comparing a Quest level trailer to a base Raven (not even a Plus), so that will account for some of the differences. Regardless, either is light years ahead of a steel option. If you're partial to the rubber coin floor, then a Raven Plus or Quest 205/305 will be an excellent option. If you're partial to the extruded aluminum floor, then I would definitely recommend the InTech. If you're indifferent about the floor- then if budget permits I'd suggest the InTech.

As for the Raven Plus package vs an InTech Lite- I'd also still vote InTech. With the InTech you're getting the triple tube frame, same quality cabinets as the Icon package, all LED interior lighting (no need for a generator), spread axle (no drop skirt though) and extruded aluminum floor (lighter overall trailer). Here is an excellent 24' example for $15,500:

http://www.racingjunk.com/New-Traile...-Series.html#8

Compared to a similar 24' Raven plus for $14,400:

http://www.racingjunk.com/Car-Traile...-HAULER.html#9

The extra features of the InTech makes the $1100 difference in price negligible to me- but again- if you prefer the coin floor then ATC is your best option.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:26 PM
kurtkrum
Instructor

So I have been doing research for days, as I need to get something before the March driving season begins. I found the same thing you did: The InTech costs slightly more, but it seems like in many small ways the InTech is just a little nicer than the ATC.

Examples:
Insulations: ATC=R3 InTech=R4
Generator door slightly larger on the InTech
Etc.

I would totally buy the Lite series InTech if you could get insulation (I want climate control). But right now I am looking at the Icon because you get so much with it and you have insulation as an option. I also agree that no steel trailer stacks up to ATC or InTech from a quality standpoint. Whatever I buy I will have to keep a long time.

Looks like you and your 3 friends have tons of experience with these brands and their features.

This is my first enclosed. What features do you believe are most critical to spending long weekends at the track 2x per month?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

This is a timely thread: I went to Atlantic Coast Trailers today (big in the NE) and started initial specs on a 44' ATC gooseneck. I looked at the InTech and several others on line but having an ATC dealer 30 mins from my house makes it very palatable.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
This is a timely thread: I went to Atlantic Coast Trailers today (big in the NE) and started initial specs on a 44' ATC gooseneck. I looked at the InTech and several others on line but having an ATC dealer 30 mins from my house makes it very palatable.
Nice!
When I was considering ATC (also from Atlantic) I spoke with InTech based on very strong reviews here on Rennlist. Nearest dealer for us is in New Haven. The dealer was very eager to do business and the factory offered to let me have my local shop do warranty work.
In the end I didn't buy new, but was pleased with the eagerness. I would have stayed with Atlantic, though, as I view things like trailers as benefiting from local service (said the guy that ties almost 3 hours to get his car serviced).
Sounds like you and Irene will have a nice rig to park at your new house.
You're the only guy I know that moved so he'd have more trailer room.
My kind of guy.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:40 AM
jrbkarter
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtkrum
So I have been doing research for days, as I need to get something before the March driving season begins. I found the same thing you did: The InTech costs slightly more, but it seems like in many small ways the InTech is just a little nicer than the ATC.

Examples:
Insulations: ATC=R3 InTech=R4
Generator door slightly larger on the InTech
Etc.

I would totally buy the Lite series InTech if you could get insulation (I want climate control). But right now I am looking at the Icon because you get so much with it and you have insulation as an option. I also agree that no steel trailer stacks up to ATC or InTech from a quality standpoint. Whatever I buy I will have to keep a long time.

Looks like you and your 3 friends have tons of experience with these brands and their features.

This is my first enclosed. What features do you believe are most critical to spending long weekends at the track 2x per month?
That's a fairly tough/broad question to answer without knowing a) your budget, b) your tow vehicle c) how capable of keeping a broken car running you want to be d) how comfortable you want to be. Those 4 areas kinda cover the major points you need to consider with the purchase. I'll cover some quick basics we've learned, as most others have.

First and foremost size- in the immortal words of the Mooty- take whatever size you're convinced you want- add 4'. Get that. Then plan to upgrade your tow vehicle to a 3/4 ton diesel. Then in a few years plan to upgrade whatever that is to a 40'+ GN. Then upgrade tow vehicle to the baddest brand new dually. Then in a few more years plan to get the stacker and toter home. It's hilarious because it's true...if only we all could afford it.

One thing we have learned, having tow vehicles everywhere from a 2002 Pathfinder, 2008 Yukon Denali, 2008 Cayenne Turbo, 2010 Yukon XL, 2006 GMC 3500 Dually, 2015 Ford F250 XLT, 2016 F150 Ecoboost 2.7l, 2016 Denali HD 2500, 2016 RAM 2500 Laramie, and now a 2017 RAM 3500 Laramie Dually...you really can never have too much truck. 3/4 ton pickups or better are really the only choice for regular (more than twice a month, more than 3-4 months a year) towing of any distance. Our standard round trips to H2R or COTA are roughly 100 miles on fairly flat ground, all highway, averaging 70mph, with speed limits up to and including 85mph. The SUVs and 1/2 ton pickups are fine with those short trips and speeds but it WILL dramatically increase wear on all of the driveline and suspension components. We've had the broken motor mounts, cooked trans fluids, boiling coolant, failed rear air suspensions, etc to prove it. Obviously the TX heat is our worst enemy but bear that in mind with any trailer purchase if you're using an SUV or 1/2. It's not just the trailer weight, it's the sail area of an enclosed that will challenge most SUVs and (non max trailering package equipped) 1/2 ton pickups. The single largest difference between those and a 3/4 ton is the margin for error is significantly higher for everything. It's been said a million times, but I'll say it again. You'll be able to tow an enclosed with the SUV or 1/2 ton pickup but you'll have two hands on the wheel at all times and be in a constant state of heightened awareness to correct or prepare for any issues, failures, or panic situations. Even if you think you're comfortable with the SUV/1/2 ton tow rig setup, given the opportunity to haul the exact same load/trailer with a 3/4 ton or better modern truck, you'll realize how much more comfortable, easy, relaxing, it can be. Sorry for the rant but anyway, back to the trailer...with all of that said, I wouldn't suggest anything larger than a 24' with an SUV or 1/2 ton. If your tow vehicle is a 3/4 or better, then I suggest a 28' TAG max, larger TAGs become cumbersome to navigate and at that point you're better going with a GN.

Next, from your description it sounds like you'll want an AC/Heated/Insulated setup. Most in stock trailers at dealers will NOT have insulation, despite being prewired for AC, so I would suggest planning to order if you want to do it right. The difference between an insulated and non-insulated trailer in the TX heat is significant, and will be much less taxing on your AC unit, and thus your generator. RPM Trailer Sales in Braselton, GA is the top custom InTech dealer in the US and the most likely to have an insulated/AC'd trailer in stock and ready to go. Ordering is roughly a 14-16 week process as we're currently waiting for the first set of CAD drawings of the trailer and once those are finalized, build time is roughly 10-12 weeks.

As for other "must have" features, trailer size, car type, clutch type, how many spares you want to have with you, how much repair equipment you want to have with you, and how much comfort you want dictates the rest. For cars that have street clutches and low sills, the full size escape door is fantastic. If your car has a race clutch, no one wants to be trying to deal with getting one of those into a trailer, so an in floor winch setup is better and more useful than the escape door.

Cabinet space will vary on how much you want to store by way of fluids, spares, and repair equipment. You're obviously going to have a generator with you to run the AC, so that's going to eat up cabinet space somewhere. To run a decent sized AC I wouldn't suggest anything less than the Honda EU3000iS which fits great in the gen bay for either InTech or ATC. Plan to add the slide out tray as it will need to be slid out to stay running and be quieter.

I suggest skipping any of the built in ramp extensions, etc, as they tend to be very pricey. Instead, plan on airline track along the walls (much cheaper to have them install it) and Race Ramps strapped to the wall. Same thing for airline track flush mounted to the floor. Much easier to use over the tire straps to tie the car down to airline track than fight with low clearance under spoilers to the standard D rings.

Lighting wise- the more- the better, and all LED. LED lights (interior and exterior) will be powered off the trailer battery (any of the Icons or Quest trailers will come with an on-board battery) which means you'll be able to flip them on with no tow vehicle or generator connected (great for when you're packing up in the AM in the dark). That includes the exterior scene lighting upgrade to LED.

Sun protection- we've tried awnings (manual) and short of the super trick $8k fully power/automatic setups...I've been left disappointed. Mostly because clearance under them is spotty, they can reduce egress in and out of the trailer, they can be problematic in the wind, and depending upon sun location/angle, may not do anything at all. Instead, we've realized good ole fashioned pop ups (EZUP- great example of you get what you pay for-worth every penny) do a better job and allow flexibility of placement and movement that a permanent trailer mounted awning does not.

After that, it really starts boiling down to budget and wants. Do you use air tools? Are you going to have room for a compressor? Built in trailer air is great. Want to never worry about your genset? Do a built in Onan setup with on board 25 gallon tank (roughly $7k option depending on genset size). Our latest trailer build we're making sure nothing is exposed so we have every signal cabinet pre planned for everything from folding chairs/tables (over wheel well cabinets), to floor jack/jackstands, to fuel jugs. How many spare sets of wheels do you plan to have with you? Etc, etc.

What I strongly suggest is spending a few hours thumbing through these two sites, one trailer at a time. Don't just look at TAGs or GNs, look at ALL of them. You'll really get an eye for what options are available and how different layouts can work for you. Everything from ramp overs, to built in sinks, to full showers, to foldaway sofas, to roof access hatches. If you can think of it, it can probably be done, and has been done before. But more than likely, you'll see a lot of things you've never thought of and realize "wow, that's a GREAT idea"

http://www.intechtrailers.com/motorsports-trailers.php

Click on TAG, then gallery, and check out each trailer. Then Gooseneck, then gallery, etc etc. The best part of viewing the trailers here is most include the full spec sheet and CAD drawings to give you an idea of dimensions/layouts/what the options are/include

Next, visit RPMs specific InTech trailer site here:

http://www.intechtrailersales.com/tag-trailers

Same deal here- click TAG, then GN, then Stacker, and scroll through each trailer individually. You'll see some duplicates from InTech's own website as these are all custom ordered trailers RPM has sold and InTech has put some of them on their website. Regardless, it's worth the trailer by trailer walk through to get a solid idea of what you want to do.

From there, give Brad at RPM a call and he'll get you started!

Oh and final thought-

Power tongue jack. Worth every penny

Originally Posted by Coochas
Definitely not a large InTech dealer in the NE that I'm aware of but I'd still give Brad/InTech a shot. Worst case they can have the trailer delivered to you or you can always pick it up from the factory in Indiana (ATC allows this option as well).
Old 01-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Nice!
When I was considering ATC (also from Atlantic) I spoke with InTech based on very strong reviews here on Rennlist. Nearest dealer for us is in New Haven. The dealer was very eager to do business and the factory offered to let me have my local shop do warranty work.
In the end I didn't buy new, but was pleased with the eagerness. I would have stayed with Atlantic, though, as I view things like trailers as benefiting from local service (said the guy that ties almost 3 hours to get his car serviced).
Sounds like you and Irene will have a nice rig to park at your new house.
You're the only guy I know that moved so he'd have more trailer room.
My kind of guy.
You have to remember that Coochas Irene is equally obsessed. The force is strong in that one.
The ACT guys have serviced my Aerovault and I know many people around here that like them.
I'm making this trailer fairly basic but a little bigger than I need since this seems to be the one thing everyone agrees on. Hopefully this deal will go through and you'll see it this Spring.
Sorry to sidetrack the OP thread!
Old 01-07-2017, 10:54 AM
kurtkrum
Instructor

JRBKARTER you just answered every one of my questions LOL.

I got a Chevy 3500 LTZ Duramax in September just so I can haul whatever I want. I don't want a white-knuckle drive to the track - I want to get there safely and be relaxed. So we have that covered.

I was also questioning if I need built in ramp extensions, winch vs. escape door, awning vs EZ Up, etc.

I was going to do 2 rows of E-Track down each side wall so I could secure a rolling tool box, air compressor, and a few EZ Ups. Also, using shoring beams on E-Track can serve as a huge tire rack and you can take it down if you ever need room.

But the biggest thing is the size - I was going to do 24' - but as I am laying out a diagram it looks like with all my crap I need 28'.

I am in Indianapolis - so I have both ATC and InTech dealers in my back yard. I was also talking to the RPM Trailers guys a year ago - awesome bunch of folks.

Quick Reply: Intech vs ATC aluminum trailer