Tire rack falls off trailer wall

Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tire rack falls off trailer wall

When I opened up the trailer the other day, I found this:

Not good. Tire rack was installed by original owner (not Scott L). When I bought the trailer, I checked all fasteners on this and other aftermarket additions. All were tight. I couldn't determine what the fasteners were installed into, but apparently they were only screwed into the plywood that covers the studs. I need to look at that much more closely and will. This spring before loading the tires onto the rack I gave the rack a good yank and wiggle and did not notice any looseness.
Here is a picture of a torn weld which I assume resulted from the crash and did not contribute to the accident, but will review that as well.

This weld is for the ears that allow the horizontal bars to bolt to the verticals (which are then attached to the wall). I will review with Pit Posse, which manufactured the rack.
Now the good news - trailer was empty because I was picking up my Cayman at Speed Sport. It could easily have happened with the car in the trailer, which is most of my trailering time. Rack was mounted above the right side of the car above the roof and front quarter. It would have been ugly.
I try hard to maintain my equipment. Given the rough roads we drive on here in the northeast, I wonder about reinstalling the rack.
NOTE there is a second rack mounted into eTrac which I am going to check VERY carefully.
All suggestions welcome.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:31 PM
Clark-ApexPerformance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Had a rack like this in my old trailer but I never used it. I envisioned opening the door and finding the rack and tires on the car. Kinda stupid in one way cause i purchased the trailer new and speced it with the tire rack. Glad to hear the trailer was empty. Could have been ugly if the car was on the trailer.

ApexPerformance.net
Premier Racing Outfitters

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: chamerly@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist-10 on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor
Old 05-02-2017, 01:41 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Nothing to add except I never trusted those things, which is why I went with the shoring beams. It's a pain to unload/load them at the track, so you can walk around inside trailer without ducking under them, but worth it in my opinion.

Glad your car wasn't in there at the time.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:26 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the thoughts. Dodged a bullet there.
I used shoring beams on loooong eTrac for the previous trailer partly because CargoPro suggested avoiding wall racks if the trailer was not reinforced at manufacture.
Though shoring beams would still be over the nose (I don't want them behind the car and not enough room in front of the car), I think they are far more secure.
I'll review with my trailer shop.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:40 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Mine are over the nose too, and I actually have 4 beams, to potentially carry 4 sets of tires. I suppose they could rip the etrack out of the wall, but you can put a lot more fasteners in the etrack to distribute the load, and put them in every stud the whole length of the etrack. Far from perfect, but seems more secure to me than the wall mounted racks.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:58 AM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of those in my last trailer and I put a through bolt at the top. They were aligned with the studs in the the wall but didn't trust that would be enough. Could hardly see the bolts as they were right up against the seam between the wall and roof. Oh stainless steel so they wouldn't rust.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

I added two chains to the ceiling cross members for insurance, inspected before each haul and never had an issue.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:21 AM
bkovac
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

i have 2 of these over the rear of my car, never had an issue. They are screwed in the aluminum cross member frame of my trailer. But i also have about 15 screws in each vertical beam.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:54 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Would be interesting to see the screw holes in the wall. How many and what size? Interesting to note that there weren't any horizontal components to this rack that would allow for being screwed into the studs between.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:18 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ExMB
Would be interesting to see the screw holes in the wall. How many and what size? Interesting to note that there weren't any horizontal components to this rack that would allow for being screwed into the studs between.
Interesting and useful observations; thank you
Screw holes show only a small tearing of the aluminum panel, and I can screw back into holes and get a good grab (don't worry, no way do I reuse them or the screws)
Now that I know better, I am amazed it held on that long.
You are right about the horizontal (or lack of) frame. The only pieces that are against the wall (and can therefore be attached to the wall) are vertical. Into each were inserted 3 screws (for a total of 6). Each had maybe 1/2-3/4" of threads catching the plywood and perhaps the studs. And they held for 6 years (nice and snug each time I checked). Amazing
The other (identical) rack is bolted into a good length of vertical eTrac which has probably 30 screws to the wall. That also feels strong, but now I am suspicious of everything. I am going to take that apart and check it over before heading to WGI Sunday.
"A trailer is an accident waiting to happen"
Old 05-03-2017, 03:00 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear about it but as others have said, glad your car was out. I'm very interested in the next part of your story as I have waffled about going with a side mounted tire rack. I presently use 4 shoring beams near the front of the car. I've rigged it pretty well - the beams are certainly secure, but due to different size front and rear tires, I had to experiment with the best tire loading pattern. I found alternating between rear and front worked best and avoided rotation on the beams. Still I have strung a cable & lock as a secondary measure should the trailer and rig encounter excessive roughness while traveling. Your story may keep me with the shoring beams - plus I can easily load 2 full sets along the trailer width.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:40 PM
phast930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the trailer I just ordered they have 2 side mount tire racks tied into the frame of the trailer.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm glad your car wasn't hurt Rick!
Old 05-03-2017, 10:22 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by phast930
In the trailer I just ordered they have 2 side mount tire racks tied into the frame of the trailer.

That's the way to do it.
I love the finish panels but add-ins would be a lot easier if the studs were visible.
I may have to learn how to remove the panels so I can see what I am doing.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:24 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Coochas
I'm glad your car wasn't hurt Rick!
Me too!
Been a rocky start to the season. 2 perfect days at VIR lost to the seized A/C compressor bearing.
Then this, though I dodged a major bullet.
How's your new trailer coming along?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire rack falls off trailer wall