Notices

Fuel storage in trailer

Old 02-07-2017, 09:31 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Fuel storage in trailer

I searched, but couldn't really find much info on what the popular setups are for storing fuel at the track. I'm new to enclosed trailers & trailering to the track, so I never really paid much attention to how guys handled this. I would love to be able to make it through a weekend without having to run out for fuel, so I'm thinking that maybe either a tank in the bed of my truck or possibly a tank/55 gallon drum in the trailer would work well. I'd rather avoid having a bunch of fuel jugs to mess with - besides, by the time I buy ~8 five-gallon jugs and some storage setup for them, I could just purchase a tank.

Maybe I'm over-thinking it and should just fill up a few 5-gal jugs at the end of each day. Any thoughts or advice? Pictures help too
Old 02-07-2017, 10:40 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

We use a 70 gallon transfer tank on the bed to fuel both of our race cars. It's way nicer than dealing with 5 gallon jugs. I used to carry 12. Now we just fill up the tank.

How many cars? Do you use race gas or pump gas? How much gas do you go thru in a weekend?

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-auxiliary.html

Storage bin on the left, fuel transfer tank on the right.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:12 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I've carried gas jugs:
In a Pitpal floor rack in my previous enclosed trailer
In the back of the pickup truck/tow vehicle
And now in the generator cabinet of my current enclosed trailer (no generator)
All work equally well if you don't mind lugging the jugs.
I find it convenient to fill the jugs before trips and during track events, so being able to put the jugs in the truck is handy.
I'll bet having a tank and pump in the truck bed is nice but would hate to give up the space.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:17 AM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwasilko
We use a 70 gallon transfer tank on the bed to fuel both of our race cars. It's way nicer than dealing with 5 gallon jugs. I used to carry 12. Now we just fill up the tank.

How many cars? Do you use race gas or pump gas? How much gas do you go thru in a weekend?
Just one Boxster running on 93 pump gas - have only had it out to two events so far, but probably ~15 gallons/day

My thought was that something like this with a handpump mounted in the trailer would be a cheap and easy solution
Old 02-08-2017, 09:43 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by PGas32
Just one Boxster running on 93 pump gas - have only had it out to two events so far, but probably ~15 gallons/day

My thought was that something like this with a handpump mounted in the trailer would be a cheap and easy solution
Except that tank isn't rated for gasoline...

-Mike
Old 02-08-2017, 11:50 AM
ianacole
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TXE36

-Mike
That's funny... the product title indicates it's a "Transfer FUEL Tank," but then the description says it's for "non-flammable liquids." So... which is it.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:03 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by ianacole
That's funny... the product title indicates it's a "Transfer FUEL Tank," but then the description says it's for "non-flammable liquids." So... which is it.
Beer, the fuel choice of racers when the track goes cold.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:18 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ianacole
Fuel, in the industry, is often a synonym for diesel. See the product questions section on that page:
The determining factor for DOT approved tanks is the flash point of liquid. This tank is approved for #3 combustible fluids such as diesel fuel, not gasoline. DOT approved tanks for gasoline are rated to carry and transfer flammable liquids; this particular tank is not.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:40 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TXE36

-Mike
Good call. To be honest, I wasn't even aware that there was a difference between how diesel and gasoline are classified for purposes like this, but it makes sense now.

Looks like something like this would be more appropriate.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:32 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Check transport rules == legally there is a limit of how much fuel you can haul and how you can do it.

I ran an E85 race car in endurance events. Legally I think you could carry 100 gallons of fuel, but they had
to be in 5 or 8 gallon jugs.

If you carried more than that or in larger individual quantities you had to have a different license, signage, and other requirements.

Mike
Old 02-09-2017, 11:24 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Even if one wanted to cheat by putting it in a trailer I would think one would constantly adjust balancing issues. The tank itself weighs 75 lbs. Add fuel, 40 gal =~250 lbs, and you need to park the car differently or rearrange other stuff in the trailer.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

https://www.transferflow.com/shop/pr...?p=1&c=10&s=p-
Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 PM
ianacole
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
Check transport rules == legally there is a limit of how much fuel you can haul and how you can do it.

I ran an E85 race car in endurance events. Legally I think you could carry 100 gallons of fuel, but they had
to be in 5 or 8 gallon jugs.

If you carried more than that or in larger individual quantities you had to have a different license, signage, and other requirements.

Mike
If I remember correctly, and this was awhile back, when we ran the 25 Hours of Thunderhill we were told we couldn't transport more than 50 gallons in California without special gear and permits. May have changed since then (2008), though.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 PM
PGas32
Rennlist Member

It looks like doing it 'right' with a DOT-approved transfer tank and pump setup will wind up being much, much more than I wanted to spend...so I'll likely just resort back to 3-4 trusty five-gallon cans and refill them each day.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 PM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the 50/50 split refueling tank from Transfer Flow, the company mentioned by mglobe above. My original intent was to carry 50 gallons of diesel and 50 gallons of race fuel but I have only transported race fuel. The tanks are DOT approved, apparently unlike the transfer tanks most farmers use, and come with a certificate attesting to that fact. I think the reason the tanks are DOT approved is because the pumps on the tanks are recessed such that they are less vulnerable. I believe you could legally transport one 55 gallon drum in the trailer and use a 12V transfer pump at the track also. My local Sunoco dealer does not charge a deposit for the drum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel storage in trailer