Notices

Titan In Bed Auxiliary fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Titan In Bed Auxiliary fuel tank

Has anyone here had any experience with Titan fuel tanks? They make larger "mid ship" replacement tanks (for example replacing stock Ram 3500 32 gal tank with a 55 gal tank in same location) and "in bed transfer" tanks such as the link below.

Their Travel Trekker is a $1300 50-gal tank that mounts in the front of the pickup bed. It ties in with the vent line going to the truck tank. It comes with a fuel pump and a dash mount which 1) shows you how much is in the aux tank and 2) let's you transfer 5-gallons at a time to the truck's main tank.

They seem to have good reviews on line.

This would really be great for those long tows.

https://titanfueltanks.com/shop/trav...ystem-5410050/
Old 02-07-2017, 02:30 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

No experience with Titan. We have an RDS tank on our truck that we use for carrying 93 octane unleaded for the race cars. It's all aluminum and nicely made. It's the box on the right. It has a small amount of storage and the pump is hidden inside.

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-auxiliary.html
Old 02-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Hams955
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2017 Ram3500 mega dually with air ride. The first mod on the truck was to install the Titan direct replacement 51 gallon tank. The quality of the tank was oem and installation was a breeze.

I average 16.5mpg highway on my truck unladen with a range of close to 800 miles between fill ups. Under tow I average 450 miles on the tank which is really helpful.

Without question this is the best mod I could have made on my truck.

I would highly encourage you to pull the trigger on it.

Chris.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Hams955
I have a 2017 Ram3500 mega dually with air ride. The first mod on the truck was to install the Titan direct replacement 51 gallon tank. The quality of the tank was oem and installation was a breeze.

I average 16.5mpg highway on my truck unladen with a range of close to 800 miles between fill ups. Under tow I average 450 miles on the tank which is really helpful.

Without question this is the best mod I could have made on my truck.

I would highly encourage you to pull the trigger on it.

Chris.
Thanks! Any issue with improper fuel level reading on the OEM dash?
I still might go with the in bed tank. That would mean 80-gallon cruise.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jwasilko
No experience with Titan. We have an RDS tank on our truck that we use for carrying 93 octane unleaded for the race cars. It's all aluminum and nicely made. It's the box on the right. It has a small amount of storage and the pump is hidden inside.

http://www.rdsaluminum.com/auto-auxiliary.html
That's obscene! Love it.
Old 02-07-2017, 06:27 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by Coochas
Thanks! Any issue with improper fuel level reading on the OEM dash?
I still might go with the in bed tank. That would mean 80-gallon cruise.
the gauge reads 100% accurately. The range to empty in the DIC won't read properly due to the fact the computer thinks the gas tank is 31 gallons. I haven't really been concerned about this and when I tow steady state I calculate range.

Chris.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:03 PM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Coochas, that looks great.

Anyone know of good options for gasoline tanks? Specifically for a 2008 Tacoma. Stupid 18 gallon tank (Off-Road package) is killing me....
Old 02-08-2017, 10:05 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I always have to pee long before I need fuel. Lol. I suppose i could keep my empty Gatorade bottles in the truck to extend the time between stops.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
I always have to pee long before I need fuel. Lol. I suppose i could keep my empty Gatorade bottles in the truck to extend the time between stops.
Oh believe me I have to stop too. The bigger tank is really meant so that you don't have to navigate gas stations in the middle of nowhere with a 40+ foot trailer in tow. Get to the destination, unhook and then refuel the truck.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:28 PM
Hams955
Pro

Originally Posted by John H
Mostly I would agree. However, having the extended range tank puts you in a position where you can be more strategic about fuel stops and the price of diesel. I long haul with my rig pulling a 40' Intech GN and my car. My last long haul was from Dallas to Phoenix. We were able to make it to Phoenix on two stops fully loaded pulling 75mph. We stopped once in Midland and once in Las Cruces. Stock tank we would have added two more fuel stops along the way.

I am contemplating the 30 gallon transfer tank that Titan makes for the Ram HD class trucks that replaces the spare tire. That would give me 81 gallon capacity and a 800ish mile safe range. I burn around 9.5mpg pulling the GN. The 30 gallon transfer tank is about $1500 from Titan.

The only downside to the setup is that you'll burn through your DEF so you have to remember to keep some onboard for the long haul trips. I do wish my truck had the larger DEF tank that the cab and chassis trucks have.

- Chris.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:11 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i have titan replacement tank 60gal
no problem
this is my third tank on third truck
on GMC fiuel gauges, it's not accurate, but er on side of save. you wil not run out of fuel if you use the gauge. i usually reset the "fuel used' counter. that is accurate. i go 58 gallons before i look for diesel, haven't failed yet.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

If I had a choice, I would do the replacement tank, not a transfer. I think they are better, easier, and don't take up bed space.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:35 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Transferflow makes underbed replacement tanks that are made of metal and significantly less expensive than the Titan tanks. It's the brand that the shop I use (Master Hitch) prefers to install. I had one in my Silverado and it was awesome to not have to worry about when I was going to stop for fuel. Planning to put one in my F250SD.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:11 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

I ended up buying and self-installing the Titan 50 gallon in bed transfer tank, It was a fun project. The quality of the kit is great. Not one missing nut/bolt/etc. The only glitch is that in my new truck, the fuel tank vent line is metal with about a 5" rubber connector to the main fuel tank. With the Titan you usually simply splice the filling adapter into the rubber part of the vent line. I spoke with Titan and they told me to simply cut a small section away of the metal pipe and connect it appropriately.

The dash panel is nice and includes an LED meter showing how full the spare tank is. I believe I am only transferring about 3 gallons of fuel over 10 minutes (the length of the cycle) as opposed to the advertised 5 gallons. It's cool to sit there and hit the transfer button and watch the fuel gauge and DTE climb.

In an 8' bed this tank doesn't take up much space and I can reach it to fill with diesel. I'm 5'10" and if you're much shorter than this I'm not sure you could reach the filler.

Quick Reply: Titan In Bed Auxiliary fuel tank