Notices

Aluminum Tire/Wheel Rack

Old 03-26-2017, 06:27 PM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aluminum Tire/Wheel Rack

Has anyone tried these aluminum tire racks for use in an enclosed trailer?
http://www.redlinestands.com/catalog...RxAaAhZl8P8HAQ
I plan to use for SPB wheels but I'm concerned whether they are strong enough for use in a trailer.
Also, what are recommendations for location? I have a small (18') trailer and was thinking of either mounting one 8' rack at front of the trailer or one 4' on each side.
Thanks
Marc

Last edited by MJP911; 03-26-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Fix link
Old 03-27-2017, 10:08 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

I use the pit products version of the rack. https://pitproducts.com/products/tir...deluxe-flip-up The racks look about the same. Plenty strong as it is a solid unit. Weak point is likely the mounting point as opposed to the rack. I have two 5' racks, one mounted on each side of a 20' trailer. While ingress and egress is a bit harder it is not bad. Just be careful when moving around inside the trailer as the racks always manage to find your head.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

It would seem that the pitproduct with its top and bottom cross braces allows for a few more attach points into the trailer studs.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:44 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

Good point re the cross braces - thanks!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:34 AM
SWK6Cup

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

If you are worried about the possibility of the tire rack, coming off the wall and the resulting damage that could occur, how about the tire rack wheel rack. I use it, holds two full sets of wheels/tires, can roll off the trailer, put it in the garage....roll it back onto the trailer........it is heavy with 2 sets of wheels, but no chance of it dropping on the car.....just use additional tie downs to secure it in the trailer.....just another thought.....GL
Old 03-28-2017, 12:02 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Last few trailers I use etrack between the side walls and then a couple e-track cross beams. Never had any issues. couple wall anchors and you can use some small ratchet straps to tie them down. Simple and safe.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:15 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperbob1
Last few trailers I use etrack between the side walls and then a couple e-track cross beams. Never had any issues. couple wall anchors and you can use some small ratchet straps to tie them down. Simple and safe.
This is what I do too, but i wrap the ratchet straps around the beams on either end. I was afraid of pulling in the wall if i over tightened them.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:54 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had 10' of tire rack in my 40' trailer, I ended up putting round headed bolts through the entire side wall with a 1 1/2' washer through the studs. It was probably overkill but I didn't want all those tires/wheels on the roof of the cups.

It really wasn't that unsightly from the exterior.
Old 03-29-2017, 07:09 AM
MJP911
Rennlist Member

This sounds like a great idea. Any pics? How did you keep the wheels from bouncing out?

Last edited by MJP911; 03-29-2017 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 03-29-2017, 08:25 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
This is what I do too, but i wrap the ratchet straps around the beams on either end. I was afraid of pulling in the wall if i over tightened them.
I set up a similar tire rack using etrack and shoring beams in my previous trailer after CargoPro advised against wall mounted racks if the trailer walls weren't reinforced. Worked great
I also strapped the tires down to the beams rather than to the walls to avoid pulling fasteners.
I realize some readers don't like ducking under the beams but it's a good way to retrofit.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:34 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by linzman
Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I set up a similar tire rack using etrack and shoring beams in my previous trailer after CargoPro advised against wall mounted racks if the trailer walls weren't reinforced. Worked great
I also strapped the tires down to the beams rather than to the walls to avoid pulling fasteners.
I realize some readers don't like ducking under the beams but it's a good way to retrofit.
Any pics? Having hard time understanding.
Old 04-02-2017, 09:10 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Country911
If you are worried about the possibility of the tire rack, coming off the wall and the resulting damage that could occur, how about the tire rack wheel rack. I use it, holds two full sets of wheels/tires, can roll off the trailer, put it in the garage....roll it back onto the trailer........it is heavy with 2 sets of wheels, but no chance of it dropping on the car.....just use additional tie downs to secure it in the trailer.....just another thought.....GL
Good idea, thanks!

Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hf1
Any pics? Having hard time understanding.
I don't have pics but maybe we can talk you through it.
Which part of the set up do you need help on?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:08 AM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I don't have pics but maybe we can talk you through it.
Which part of the set up do you need help on?
"etrack between the side walls and then a couple e-track cross beams"
(I know what etrack is.)

Thx!
Old 04-02-2017, 10:41 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hf1
"etrack between the side walls and then a couple e-track cross beams"
(I know what etrack is.)

Thx!
My pleasure
Cross beams aka shoring beams whose ends snap into the wall mounted etrack form the tire rack across the nose (or tail) of the car.
Shoring beams are readily available from truck/trailer supply stores.
You can buy either a fixed length or adjustable.
Hope this helps

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aluminum Tire/Wheel Rack