Notices

Motorcycle towing on an open trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 07:19 AM
redmill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle towing on an open trailer

I have a trailex 7541 with a tire rack but no center floor.

i went to pick up a motorcycle (476 lbs dry) with the trailer, a few people at the dealer said it would be no issue strapping it down at the handle bars. Supposedly with the suspension compressed, and adequate tie downs it would stand straight up

I was skeptical, but they would have experience with this. Once i got there, they realized there wasnt suitable anchor points on the trailer sides to provide tension. Standing on the right side of the trailer meant it was very close to any trailer connection point. Those connection points are would all be below the bikes center of gravity as well.

I guess its an entirely different story when there are few feet to the left and the right of the bike (pickup trucks or little utility trailers), tension can be applied in several directions, keeping it upright.

I would be way more comfortable with wheel chocks front and rear, which still leaves some doubt about controlling movement on the higher parts of the bike.

Has anyone done something similar with an open car trailer?
Has anyone done something clever with an enclosed trailex ?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:46 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

Take a look at Baxley or Condor chocks, they should have what you need to lock your bike in an upright position.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:00 AM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I have done it with a Baxley chock and it worked really well. The bike remained completely stable.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:37 AM
RodneyB
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Over the years I have used them all and have replaced with Wheeldock chocks. Made in the USA AND come with a LIFE TIME WARANTY. They sell factory direct only. Www.wheeldock.com. These are the easiest chocks to get a bike into and out of.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

What bike? Can you get a Pit Bull Trailer Restraint system for it?

https://www.pit-bull.com/motorcycle-trailer-restraints

This is by far the best system you can get for transporting a bike. I have it set up in two different trailers and can load my race bikes by myself. I've used chocks, bar tie downs, etc. this makes it simple and no compression. Never worry about them moving at all.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:06 PM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts

Here’s how I picked up my bike.

Little bit of compression front and a little bit in back. I also have a cheap wheel chock but I’ve done it without the chock, too.
Attached Images  
Old 10-15-2017, 01:07 PM
Shandingo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
Here’s how I picked up my bike.

Little bit of compression front and a little bit in back. I also have a cheap wheel chock but I’ve done it without the chock, too.
This setup looks right. I used to be in the motorcycle business and tied down bikes all the time for transport. You want to pull the front straps tight enough to compress the front suspension some but not tight enough to compress fully. You don't want to blow your fork seals.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:56 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 302 Likes on 183 Posts

If you want to use tie downs, get Canyon Dancers. If you want a perm solution, get a Pit Bull trailer restraint.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle towing on an open trailer