Notices

Adventures in towing

Old 04-27-2017, 03:20 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Adventures in towing

Needed a tow vehicle to get my 24' tag w/ race car from Western NY to the Road Atlanta Club Race as my regular pick-up, a gas F-250 was sidelined. Rented a 2017 F-250 diesel, SRW w/ factory tow package from Enterpise. Mid level interior, unlimited miles, 6 days $386 total before fuel. Easy, quiet and comfy.

On the road home blowed up a trailer tire in Northern GA on I-85. Limped down the shoulder and pulled off at an exit. As we were getting ready to lift the trailer, pull off the carnage and put on the spare, 2 guys in a beat up pickup with a bed full of big rig tire repair equipment stopped. They were from Roy Jr's Truck Repair and for $160 they took off the old tire, mounted and balanced a new one and put it on. We were on our way in an hour and I still have a good spare mounted in the trailer. If you ever have a truck, any size, RV or trailer tire issue in northern GA or SC give them a call. Good guys, helpful and honest. 706 391 3460.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Thats a great story and a great recommendation. Something weird about RA. I had a tire shred driving home to NY last year. This year on my way home, I had a tire shred on day one and a puncture 100 miles from home on day two. I put Roy Jr's in my address book for my next trip home from RA
Old 04-27-2017, 06:56 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hard to beat Enterprise' prices for the F250, just used them for Festival of Speed.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:45 AM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So here's the big question: do you tell them that you're towing with it or not?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:30 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
So here's the big question: do you tell them that you're towing with it or not?
Id like that answer as well. Their paperwork says no towing.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:26 PM
ohenryinatlanta
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

what about brake controller ?
Old 05-01-2017, 06:51 PM
skxf430
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

3/4 ton trucks typically all have brake controllers.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:02 AM
chartersb
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Enterprise Truck rental Division had no restrictions on towing. They are different than the car rental side. enterprisetrucks.com
Old 05-04-2017, 09:57 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
Enterprise Truck rental Division had no restrictions on towing. They are different than the car rental side. enterprisetrucks.com
This is great to know. Thanks
My first ever race car tow was with my sister's Jeep Cherokee, which broke down half way to Tremblant. Breakdown was unrelated to towing, thank goodness, but we were left high and dry.
Although towing over the border would likely still have been a problem, at least we could have rented a tow vehicle.
(All ended well as the car was still street legal so we drove to the event)
Old 05-04-2017, 10:14 AM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 157 Posts

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/tru...tent-_-2towing

Per their website, 3/4 and 1 ton trucks only.
Old 05-05-2017, 12:13 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by chartersb
Yep, never an issue
Old 05-05-2017, 09:10 AM
mbean
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a tip about tow vehicles I found out from our carriage driving competition: USrider (http://www.usrider.org/) offers great rates for towing insurance/breakdowns and they are the only company I know of that will tow the truck AND trailer. None of the other companies will come anywhere near a trailer, especially if it has horses in it! They will even help you find a vet and a stall to put your horses up while your truck is being fixed. I have to renew in June and I seem to remember it's about $140/year. While you guys may not have horses they don't restrict it to just horse owners. Many of my friends have had to use their services while traveling and they gave them rave reviews for their customer service. I Know friends who had AAA insurance were very disappointed when they couldn't get help because they had a trailer.
Buzz
Old 05-05-2017, 01:01 PM
jwasilko
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

We use usrider as well (as we have a class-8 Volvo registered as an RV). They've got no problem with big trucks or trailers.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:03 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts
Default RF brake controller

Originally Posted by ohenryinatlanta
what about brake controller ?
I'm not sure what the consensus is here, but I'm told that the RF brake controllers are pretty good when you are switching the vehicle.

I have received this feedback from a couple of MB owners that cannot get the brake controllers work in their vehicles. But I have no personal experience. Such as this one:

http://www.tekonsha.com/mobile/produ...RB508pViEKmVBf

Any feedback?
Old 05-12-2017, 03:48 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
I'm not sure what the consensus is here, but I'm told that the RF brake controllers are pretty good when you are switching the vehicle.

I have received this feedback from a couple of MB owners that cannot get the brake controllers work in their vehicles. But I have no personal experience. Such as this one:

http://www.tekonsha.com/mobile/produ...RB508pViEKmVBf

Any feedback?
I have an RF and use it when switching vehicles for towing; also there are a lot of comments on the main Racing, DE page on this pairing issue - i.e. pairing with German (European?) tow vehicles. A solution that works, and I used it, was to pair it with a Dodge, Ford, or GM truck and once it is paired, works great and can be switched between tow vehicles without worry (assuming the trailer has the main unit attached). I also have a Tek P3 but I use the RF almost all the time when towing my enclosed trailer (of course ... that's where the unit is attached ... duh on me). But the P3 is a v good controller too (RF is pricey).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adventures in towing