Notices

Clearance Between Gooseneck and Bed Rail

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Obturate
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Clearance Between Gooseneck and Bed Rail

I am ordering a gooseneck trailer and have only pulled TAGs before. The trailer plans I am looking at have a distance from ground to bottom of bunk of 63 inches. The distance from ground to top of bed rail on the truck is 58 inches. Five inches clearance seems really small. I obviously do not intend to go off-road but I wouldn't expect every bit of ground I encounter to be perfectly level, either.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:18 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

Wouldn't you want to compare the bed depth to the distance from the bottom of the hitch to the floor of the gooseneck portion? Ground height doesn't really matter.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:57 PM
Obturate
Racer

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Wouldn't you want to compare the bed depth to the distance from the bottom of the hitch to the floor of the gooseneck portion? Ground height doesn't really matter.
I know the bed depth (21.1") but I have not been provided the distance you refer to. What you say makes sense but I think if the distance between the bottom of the bunk to the hitch were too great the trailer would not set level? Since my post I have discovered there are aftermarket products (www.popuphitch.com) where an offset extension is added to the trailer hitch. I don't know how much that addresses the vertical clearance issues, however. My main potential problem is the filler necks for the transfer tanks I use to fuel my car extend about 3" above the bed rails. Thank you for your response.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:40 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't take on that responsibility. Give the trailer company your tow vehicle dimensions and let them figure it out. That is what they do for a living.

I know it sounds like a Mooty comment.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:59 PM
Obturate
Racer

I think that is actually good advice but I am finding it difficult to have faith. Coincidentally, the car I am trailering is a GT4 Clubsport. Currently, I am ruminating over placement of the nitrogen tanks. They suggest placing them curbside next to car but now I am concerned about clearance width-wise with car. I know it is not an exceedingly complicated engineering exercise but I hate to sign off on a mistake.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:07 PM
Surfbum
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Ive placed my tanks curbside right next to man door on a 32' floor Featherlite gooseneck (40' tip to tip) and a 28' Renegade tag trailer with no problem on clearance.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Does it come with a Bull Dog telescoping post?
I own my nitrogen tanks, 3 of the smaller ones. They fit with a small bit of tilt in the attic. Hose reel near ramp connected to tank with about 10 feet hose. Always have at least 1 full one ready to replace depleated ones.

Quick Reply: Clearance Between Gooseneck and Bed Rail