Notices

Trailer in the left lane - Which states?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 04:59 PM
Difool
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Trailer in the left lane - Which states?

Does anyone know or have a reference of which states outright restrict trailers from the left lane(s) when there is more than one passing lane? I tried to google it but must not be looking for the right things. All I can find is that in Washington State you are restricted to 55MPH and are forbidden from the left lane when there are 3 or more lanes.

I ask because on the Mass Pike I've often seen trailers in the fast lane, and have often been there myself. But on the way to Palmer this weekend when I pulled into the passing lane to get around a truck I got some fierce horn. I couldn't find the area in MA law that has restrictions. I know MA restricts trucks, but don't know about trailers.

Any handy resources for those long interstate trips?

*EDIT* - well I found this: http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-towing/

Looks like WA, RI, CA, UT are the only states that expressly forbid travel in the 3rd lane of a 3-lane road. What are people's experiences?
Also Interesting - one state requires a fire extinguisher in the cab of the tow vehicle... well I have one in the trailer payload

Last edited by Difool; 10-04-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While in CA it's illegal to have a trailer in lane 3 or 4 of a 4 lane road, I see it done frequently and even when there is a state cop driving past, no ticket. I think they would only enforce it if it was a problem. I know I've moved into the 'fast' lane of a 3 lane road on occasion to get around slow people, but I don't camp out there.

When I lived on the east coast I thought people believed they had a duty to blow the horn at all times, with a reason or not. Was it an isolated instance or did it happen frequently?
Old 10-04-2016, 08:06 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 77 Posts

I figure it's fair game unless I see a sign that says "Left lane no trucks trailers". This is in my PA NJ area.

However if I do use that lane, I make sure I don't snail pass the truck. I can't stand when they do it to me when I'm in a car. And I honk when they do!
Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I've towed a 38' 5th wheel race trailer in CA and UT (and elsewhere) and been in the left lane to make necessary passes. I don't think anyone noticed The only places in UT where it matters would be in the mountain passes leaving SLC. Just make sure you are moving around traffic and move back over.

And I have a fire extinguisher in the cab at all times. Used it once to assist a tractor who's brakes caught on fire coming down I70 into Denver. However, I keep thinking the new one may go off accidentally.....
Old 12-01-2016, 06:56 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

In Massachusetts the right lane is the fast lane so trailers are probably restricted from the right lane if anything
Old 12-01-2016, 07:25 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The rule is stupid and counterproductive especially in a land where slow cars make picnics in left lanes. This forces trucks with trailers to hop between the two "allowed" lanes lest they get stuck behind a slow car in the middle lane forever. I'll take fast and attentive trucks with trailers in the left lane over oblivious left lane huggers every time.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:32 PM
RickyBobby
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've trailered in FL GA SC NC VA WV IN KY and OH all have not seen posted restrictions in any.
Old 12-03-2016, 09:32 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I've stayed in the left lane many times and passed highway patrol many times. I think unless you are holding up traffic or speeding they turn a blind eye.

Quick Reply: Trailer in the left lane - Which states?