Notices

Trailer Inside Height preference for lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:08 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Trailer Inside Height preference for lightweight

I maybe looking to order (or looking again for lightly used) aluminum enclosed.

I was a bit surprised to see the various heights from the manufacturers for inside trailer heights...

My inclination is I want one I can stand in, otherwise every time I whack my head I'll be cursing myself...

Those with less than 6' clearance have opinions?

Mike
Old 09-06-2016, 07:11 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

One thing to be careful of is having enough height to allow your tire rack. Loading 8 larger tires can be a problem on lower height trailers.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:25 PM
jaundice
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Absolutely get one you can stand up in. I built one that would "fit" in my garage, so inside height is only like 5'10". Just low enough I can't stand up straight in the trailer. I have yet to park it in my garage after 6 years and hit my head or bitch about the height every time I am in the trailer. That is truly my only requirement for a new trailer.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:32 PM
OpieT
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a Trailex Standard height enclosed and love it. My decision was based on having the ability to store the trailer in my home garage, that's it. If I had a better storage option, I would certainly go for the extra height.

RickBetterley makes a good point, getting the tires into the rack requires a specific "through the middle lift and twist" to get them in, but it works and relatively easy now that I have it worked out. I've added a 15' canopy and folding table to my track kit and am therefore able to work / lounge at ease. My two cents.
Old 09-07-2016, 10:57 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm 6'5" and am very happy with my ATC Quest 305
Old 09-07-2016, 11:00 AM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I'm 6'5" and am very happy with my ATC Quest 305
this. love my 7' high ATC
Old 09-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATC has made 7'-0" the standard height on all CH package trailers over the past few years -- it's by far the most popular. We do maybe one or two 6'-0" or 6'-6" tall trailers to every dozen 7'-0" trailers. Most folks wanting to park them inside have taller doors already anyway.

ATC also carries their ceiling height through the rear door, so folks aren't having to order a 7'-0" trailer to get 78" through the rear door anymore.

- Matt
Old 10-02-2016, 03:11 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailers of the East Coast
ATC also carries their ceiling height through the rear door, so folks aren't having to order a 7'-0" trailer to get 78" through the rear door anymore.
Can you pls explain what this means? Thx.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:25 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hf1
Can you pls explain what this means? Thx.
Sure! ATC's interior height matches the rear door opening height. Several other trailer brands we have measured are two different measurements through the rear door and to the ceiling, e.g. the interior ceiling height will be 78" but through the door it's only 72".
Old 10-07-2016, 12:29 PM
AerovaultTrailer
Former Vendor

A question you also may want to ask yourself is how much time will you actually be spending in your trailer? If you need all of the cabinet space and a shop on wheels then it would make sense to have an internal height that allows you to stand up straight. But, if you don't need all of that and you're mainly just using it to haul, then choose the height based upon your tow need. The higher it is, the more air you're going to drag with you.
Old 10-07-2016, 05:37 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AerovaultTrailer
A question you also may want to ask yourself is how much time will you actually be spending in your trailer? If you need all of the cabinet space and a shop on wheels then it would make sense to have an internal height that allows you to stand up straight. But, if you don't need all of that and you're mainly just using it to haul, then choose the height based upon your tow need. The higher it is, the more air you're going to drag with you.
You will always end up with one you can comfortably stand up in - no matter where you start
Old 10-07-2016, 06:48 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by AerovaultTrailer
No flame, but sitting inside the trailer looking out the side door (not a shown option on your product) while watching a rainy clubrace is priceless. Other than that I know that some clubracers wind up using their trailer as a cabin/tent substitute and changing room.

P.S.
Do you have any data on mpg loss because of the air drag vs weight.

Originally Posted by audipwr1
You will always end up with one you can comfortably stand up in - no matter where you start
+1

Brexit arrow version
Old 10-13-2016, 08:16 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
This
Old 10-15-2016, 01:54 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 3,241 Likes on 1,576 Posts

Its also a good idea to consider that you may sell the trailer one day so getting something specific that you want, which may not be what the market wants, can affect the value of your trailer some day.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:20 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Gave it some thought --

I'm getting older and back isn't always in a happy mood -- so hunching over and loading,
or just maneuvering sounds like a recipe for pain.

I ended up ordering a 6' interior Montrose with two side doors :-)

I figure when the time comes -- some old fart like me will appreciate the extra height too!

Mike

Quick Reply: Trailer Inside Height preference for lightweight