Notices

What is the countertop on a 2010 Haulmark Edge made of?

Old 08-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 411 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
I was assuming aluminum but a magnet clings to it, so apparently it's not.
I have a query in to HaulMark but they haven't responded.
Does anyone know? I'd like to buff it out but would like to know what I am dealing with first.
Thanks
If you can scratch it with a brass key it is aluminum. Magnet sticks to it then either stainless or galvanized steel.
Level the trailer and put some red wine on the counter, use a few paper towels to keep it contained. Let it sit for a hour or so and squeeze the wine into a glass and drink it. If it tastes like metal and makes you sick then it is galvanized. Taste fine then you like cheap wine cuz that would be all you bought, and the counter is stainless steel.
If the counter really is galvy then do nothing to it. Buffing it out may remove the zinc in places and make it rust.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU USE STEEL WOOL ON IT.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwane
I'll take a look in September
That would be great, Dwane
Old 08-30-2016, 10:23 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
If you can scratch it with a brass key it is aluminum. Magnet sticks to it then either stainless or galvanized steel.
Level the trailer and put some red wine on the counter, use a few paper towels to keep it contained. Let it sit for a hour or so and squeeze the wine into a glass and drink it. If it tastes like metal and makes you sick then it is galvanized. Taste fine then you like cheap wine cuz that would be all you bought, and the counter is stainless steel.
If the counter really is galvy then do nothing to it. Buffing it out may remove the zinc in places and make it rust.
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO YOU USE STEEL WOOL ON IT.
Funny and good advice.
I've seen folks use steel wool removing varnish on sail boats. A very bad idea. Lots of little rust specs.
I have some bronze wool but will hold off until we really know what we are working with.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:32 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can take a photo pulled back just a little showing the whole counter I'll run it past our service guys and see if they can identify the material.

- Matt

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the countertop on a 2010 Haulmark Edge made of?