Notices

Winch power for Trailex 8045

Old 07-28-2016, 04:27 PM
dbbarron
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Winch power for Trailex 8045

I am considering an 8045 and would like the electric winch option to more easily allow one person loading/unloading and unpowered loading/unloading just in case .

However, I don't see a natural place for the battery box on that trailer. Do people perhaps use the aluminum tool boxe for a battery and run cables? Do people use power from the tow vehicle (or just keep a spare SLA battery in the tow vehicle for the winch)?

If powered by the tow vehicle, what type of connector system is normally used?

Lastly, other than the bracket which is sold separately, the Warn Winch and remote from Trailex seems about 2x pricing for the same products elsewhere, am I missing anything included from Trailex?

Thanks
db
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

You will always find products cheaper than those similar parts quoted from an OEM; one more middle man looking for profit.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:43 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Note the battery box on the right front of the trailer. I bolted a piece of aluminum 3 x 3 angle on each side of the Trailex frame and bolted a plastic battery box to the angle. I made an adapter to mount a S4000 Superwinch to the Trailex winch mount.
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2016, 09:03 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

If you power it from the tow vehicle, you will need to run some pretty thick wire directly from the battery. The winch has a significant draw, and you'll just blow fuses if you try to power from the hitch power supply.
Probably best to make something like Bill did to mount a separate battery. Don't forget to wire it to charge while towing, but if you do that, you may have to disconnect the tow harness from the car while winching, or it will try to draw current from the tow vehicle (Ford hitch harness is switched power, but I think Chevy is unswitched)
Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

i made my own battery box and attached it to the trailer.
Trouble is the box i made is not aluminum and sucks.

The battery is also flat dead all the time in the damn thing.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:37 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

If you are towing with a BMW, it's very easy to run a cable from the rear battery to power the winch. By far the easiest method. Car audio parts are a good source.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:41 AM
Trailers of the East Coast
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're going to power off the tow vehicle, Anderson Powerpole connectors are the gold standard. Run you a pair of 2-4ga. cables to the rear bumper with a Powerpole connector, and put one on your winch's main power connections. Then take a couple of high amperage alligator clips and build a pigtail to plug into the winch should you need to run it off a separate battery, and throw that in the toolbox for when/if you need it.

Warn makes a kit for their winches: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...bDAaAjg88P8HAQ

- Matt
Old 07-29-2016, 09:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailers of the East Coast
If you're going to power off the tow vehicle, Anderson Powerpole connectors are the gold standard. Run you a pair of 2-4ga. cables to the rear bumper with a Powerpole connector, and put one on your winch's main power connections. Then take a couple of high amperage alligator clips and build a pigtail to plug into the winch should you need to run it off a separate battery, and throw that in the toolbox for when/if you need it.

Warn makes a kit for their winches: http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-W...bDAaAjg88P8HAQ

- Matt
I've been running something very similar to the Warn kit for years. It's a great way to go. You never have to worry about the battery on the trailer going dead at the worst possible time. If the battery on your tow vehicle is dead, you've got bigger problems than getting the car on the trailer!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Winch power for Trailex 8045