Notices

My Trailer Diary

Old 02-28-2017, 01:27 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
how do you all have your nitrogen set up? I too have a CS and am going to build yet another trailer.....there should be a hand me down program...I'll get inline behind you guys..
Might do something like the image below from Paoli (80L bottle, F4 reg, and trolly kit), but will likely just go the Harris Motorsports reg with a trailer mounted bottle.
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2017, 03:26 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zip465
Question for those with a TPD trailers and a GT4 or Clubsport what size/model race ramps are you using
I've got the longest 2-piece Race Ramps. I am looking at their web site, but I can't remember whether I've got the 10" or 11" rise. I will say this, the notch in the tall end of the ramp, where you place the gate, is too deep. I ended up gluing a piece of wood in place so as to fill the gap. I just cut it on a table saw to the correct thickness so that my trailer gate lies flush on the ramps.
Old 02-28-2017, 10:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a GT4 or CS, but my TPD has the aluminum ramps that TPD provides and they work great for my car (1.75" clearance under the nose). I just needed slightly larger rubber bumpers to raise the door a tad and I get it to clear. I like that they stay attached to the door and I don't have to mess with moving and storing them.

I have a 150 nitrogen bottle mounted by TPD. I wish that they used a bit less offset from the trailer wall, but it works well for my air jacks. It lasts just over a year (as mostly JWE is supplying the air). This bottle is as wide as I can go and still get the car to fit past.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:45 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by nxfedlt1
how do you all have your nitrogen set up? I too have a CS and am going to build yet another trailer.....there should be a hand me down program...I'll get inline behind you guys..
mount the can near the front of the trailer. this way you dont have to drive PAST the can. run the hose out the front door of trailer so u dont need the gate open all the time

Originally Posted by zip465
Question for those with a TPD trailers and a GT4 or Clubsport what size/model race ramps are you using
i use 6' and BEARLY clears. i also tried 2x ramp like chromium. too much work. i am done loading the entire rig in 20 min after the checker flag. the 2x ramp takes much longer to put together. u will make it with 6' i am sure. i have G rated tires on GN traier so i am at least 4" higher than your 24' bumper pull. if u can't get the car in, then i think uyo are below legal ride height!

the alum hinged type that tomW has is very nice. BUT DO NOT FORGET TO STRAP IT. my friend did and he had no bumper after we opened the gate upon arrival.

chris, the nitro can you showed is too small. you need one every weekend if that's the size of a regular diving tank.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:23 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
mount the can near the front of the trailer. this way you dont have to drive PAST the can. run the hose out the front door of trailer so u dont need the gate open all the time
What I did, BUT you'll need a looooong hose for crowded paddocks where you cannot pull the car alongside the trailer. Get a pressure washer hose: higher pressure rating and easier to find.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:01 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Have very much enjoyed reading this thread. Going to pull the trigger on a new trailer next week.
I am paralyzed between two choices. One obvious/conventional, and the other is a "hear me out" option.

Uses: hauling cars to Porsche/other events in Texas and California (PCA stuff, Luftgekuhlt, etc.). I am not a serious racer, I do some Porsche DE, but also lots of car shows and events. I usually have 2-3 "toy" cars and cycle between them, etc. Also have offroad stuff - UTVs, ATV, trial bikes, etc.

Truck: RAM 3500 cummins/aisin

Budget: ~ $20k

Final candidates:

1) obvious choice - ATC Quest 305 w/escape door, 24 ft. $20k + TTL. Everyone here knows this trailer pretty well I guess. It comes fully equipped and very finished out inside. I like the brand reputation, history, etc. I wonder if it is too much/too nice for what I will be using it for (or more accurately what I will not be using it for - countless hours in it at a race track with advanced PCA club racing, etc.)

2) hear me out choice - Sundowner XTRA Series 24ft v-nose. This brand is well known for horse trailers, but probably not as much in the auto community. This trailer appears very well made. .50 aluminum skin instead of the .30 on the ATC. Extruded aluminum floors instead of the rubber coin of the ATC. 16 inch wheels/tires instead of the 15s on the ATC. Heavier D rings. Larger door, list goes on. Much less finish out inside, doesn't come with cabinets, less LED lights, no battery/110 system, etc. Doesnt have escape door. It is basically a raw frame trailer. But it seems to be exceptionally well constructed. $16k+TTL

I am wondering if I am better off buying the sundowner. Easier to wash mud/oil/etc out of it and seems to have put more $ into the actual structure vs finish out in the case of ATC. With the $4k differential, I could have some things welded into the trailer and set it up just like I want.

Thoughts? Anyone have experience or an opinion with the Sundowner brand? Both trailers have roughly same weight and ratings, same axles, etc.

Here are some pictures of both
Attached Images       
Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the ATC. I think the sundowner would be fine. No escape door but you can live with that. You can install cabinets.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:14 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jlanka
I have the ATC. I think the sundowner would be fine. No escape door but you can live with that. You can install cabinets.
The escape door would be nice. But overall the Sundowner just seems better construction and higher end materials. Its just not finished out. May end up costing the same or more when finished adding cabinets, lights, etc. But .50 vs .30 aluminum, 16s vs 15s tires, extruded alum floor vs rubber coin, etc.

Worried maybe no vent on the Sundowner. I dont see one in the pictures and I cant remember from when I visited in person. But I suppose that can always be cut/added also.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:10 AM
jlanka
Drifting

I would actually prefer exposed inner walls also. Makes it easy to add stuff
Old 03-12-2017, 12:32 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 938 Likes on 543 Posts

Is it wide enough? Looks narrower between wheel wells than the ATC. Make sure you can fit the hips of an RS through there!
Old 03-12-2017, 01:04 PM
linzman
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I would actually prefer exposed inner walls also. Makes it easy to add stuff
Except it makes it easier to dent the outer aluminum, from the inside. I like having the inner skin too, and it's easy to find the studs to install stuff.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:15 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Can the sundowner handle the weight?
Old 03-12-2017, 02:39 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by linzman
Except it makes it easier to dent the outer aluminum, from the inside. I like having the inner skin too, and it's easy to find the studs to install stuff.
you got a point there Norton...

Old 03-12-2017, 03:24 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Can the sundowner handle the weight?
Has the same 5200 pound axles, same weight load ratings, etc. empty, it actually weighs about 300 pounds more than the ATC, even though it is not trimmed out. From looking at it on the inside, I think this is a combination of the aluminum floor and in general heavier gauge materials.

Same dimensions also, length width etc. Lose a little bit of space in the front because of the v nose but I feel like that would be a really great place to put cabinets.

still torn, I know that ATC is one of the watermarks

here is a link to more info on the sundowner trailer

http://www.sundownertrailer.com/tlr-XtraTransporterBP.html
Old 03-12-2017, 03:33 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

one more
Attached Images  

Last edited by mrsullivan; 03-12-2017 at 08:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary