Notices

My Trailer Diary

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:16 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by audipwr1
You are self supporting a club sport car?
Yes to some degree - for POC and PCA self support, for Pirelli Drivers Cup I'll use support.
Old 02-22-2017, 04:47 PM
mdkim
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zip465
Yes to some degree - for POC and PCA self support, for Pirelli Drivers Cup I'll use support.
Air jacks FTMFW!!

I believe MR not allowed in Pirelli...unless things have changed.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdkim
Air jacks FTMFW!!

I believe MR not allowed in Pirelli...unless things have changed.
The MR is allowed in PDC - http://www.competentmotorsport.com/w...uide-V15.7.pdf
Old 02-22-2017, 08:29 PM
mdkim
Racer

Always helps to read rules. Thanks for info.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Pulled the trigger on a new 24' TPD so this thread will come in handy as I get it sorted for the GT4CSMR.
Wow, Chris... that's awesome. Congrats! For the trailer AND the car!!!

On the topic of D-rings... if I had it to do all over again, I would space them a bit further apart (more towards the side walls of the trailer) than I did. With the Cup car, I tied the car down with the Cup's travel rings. For everything else, I tie through the spokes of the wheels, with the strap to the outside, so it's easy to reach. The way I have them now, they rub the car at the front. The rear is fine, but I'd move them both outboard by 25 - 30 cm.

I use custom length straps at the front (no ratchet straps) to tie directly to the D-rings. Then at the back I use straps along with ratchet straps. You obviously have to allow the car to roll back in order the cinch it tight when using this method, so be careful. I use chocks at the wheels for extra security once it's tied down.

The other 'design revision' I'm going through now is to clear the floor area at each wheel, so that it's quicker and easier to loop the straps and such while strapping down the car. I'm moving my fuel jugs up off the floor and on to the wall above using a custom rack. I also moved the gas bottle more towards the front, sitting up on the rear end of the interior fender box.

Last fall I got up close and personal with my good friend Stujelly's latest "small" trailer. He's the only nut I know who is obsessed like me with trailers. He had a ton of cool little details in his that I just swooned over. One of the biggest tips I got from him was to use Velcro to secure in place all the remotes. I've got a remote for the flat screen, so that's now directly next to it. Then I've also got a remote for the winch. That's now on the side wall at the rear gate. Very handy! And I'm pleased that they survived the horrible I-5 from Bakersfield to home. Pot hole city!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:50 PM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Wow, Chris... that's awesome. Congrats! For the trailer AND the car!!!

On the topic of D-rings... if I had it to do all over again, I would space them a bit further apart (more towards the side walls of the trailer) than I did. With the Cup car, I tied the car down with the Cup's travel rings. For everything else, I tie through the spokes of the wheels, with the strap to the outside, so it's easy to reach. The way I have them now, they rub the car at the front. The rear is fine, but I'd move them both outboard by 25 - 30 cm.

I use custom length straps at the front (no ratchet straps) to tie directly to the D-rings. Then at the back I use straps along with ratchet straps. You obviously have to allow the car to roll back in order the cinch it tight when using this method, so be careful. I use chocks at the wheels for extra security once it's tied down.

The other 'design revision' I'm going through now is to clear the floor area at each wheel, so that it's quicker and easier to loop the straps and such while strapping down the car. I'm moving my fuel jugs up off the floor and on to the wall above using a custom rack. I also moved the gas bottle more towards the front, sitting up on the rear end of the interior fender box.

Last fall I got up close and personal with my good friend Stujelly's latest "small" trailer. He's the only nut I know who is obsessed like me with trailers. He had a ton of cool little details in his that I just swooned over. One of the biggest tips I got from him was to use Velcro to secure in place all the remotes. I've got a remote for the flat screen, so that's now directly next to it. Then I've also got a remote for the winch. That's now on the side wall at the rear gate. Very handy! And I'm pleased that they survived the horrible I-5 from Bakersfield to home. Pot hole city!
Thanks Lar! As you may remember your 24' was the model for my 20' lots of the same tricks, and yes I've resurrected the CAD models so that level of insanity has started again... I've got EM Manufacturing turned on to fab the floor jack storage rack and Arrow for the other items. I just need to find a good solid portable tire rack for two sets.

Stujelly's a great guy and def someone with a fair share of trailer experience. Speaking of fuel jug storage have you seen these - http://hrpracing.com/fuel-jug-rack-t...to-6-jugs-bare they offer 4, 6, and 8 jug systems - Surfbum has it in his trailer and it looks like a great solution.

See ya at the track!
Old 02-23-2017, 12:09 AM
thekid96
Rennlist Member

Thanks Lar! As you may remember your 24' was the model for my 20' lots of the same tricks, and yes I've resurrected the CAD models so that level of insanity has started again... I've got EM Manufacturing turned on to fab the floor jack storage rack and Arrow for the other items. I just need to find a good solid portable tire rack for two sets.

Stujelly's a great guy and def someone with a fair share of trailer experience. Speaking of fuel jug storage have you seen these - http://hrpracing.com/fuel-jug-rack-t...to-6-jugs-bare they offer 4, 6, and 8 jug systems - Surfbum has it in his trailer and it looks like a great solution.

See ya at the track!
I'm still enjoying all the work you put into the 20'er. Get compliments on it every time I go to the track.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:23 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts

I just need to find a good solid portable tire rack for two sets.
Maybe 2 of these from
Amazon Amazon
or similar.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:25 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thekid96
I'm still enjoying all the work you put into the 20'er. Get compliments on it every time I go to the track.
Awesome, that was/is a great trailer!
Old 02-25-2017, 01:09 AM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Pulled the trigger on a new 24' TPD so this thread will come in handy as I get it sorted for the GT4CSMR.
congrats on the new trailer. Did you say you are running a clubsport now??

How cool is that.

Do you love it.

I tell ya I just did up a 28 foot TPD and it is great for a 1 car set up. This thing I like is carts for tools and tires
Old 02-25-2017, 01:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

chris you shold have let me know then i'll beat on victor and justin to get you a few bux off ;-)

Originally Posted by audipwr1
You are self supporting a club sport car?
it's just a street car with cage. not hard to run by yourself. i been playing with it in the cave
Old 02-26-2017, 11:49 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
chris you shold have let me know then i'll beat on victor and justin to get you a few bux off ;-)

it's just a street car with cage. not hard to run by yourself. i been playing with it in the cave
Mooty, between you and I, we've been keeping Victor in business. Well... at least the race car trailer business.

Good thing I was able to provide technical assistance to you on the nitrogen regulator. 500psi got that CS up in the air in a hurry!
Old 02-27-2017, 12:58 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

John, I was happy to get a new one, was just about to buy a used (not TPD) trailer when Lance contacted me

Bonus, it's got air jacks!!!
Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 AM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

how do you all have your nitrogen set up? I too have a CS and am going to build yet another trailer.....there should be a hand me down program...I'll get inline behind you guys..
Old 02-28-2017, 01:21 AM
zip465
Rennlist Member

Question for those with a TPD trailers and a GT4 or Clubsport what size/model race ramps are you using

Quick Reply: My Trailer Diary