Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   Trucks and Trailers (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers-239/)
-   -   My Trailer Diary (https://rennlist.com/forums/trucks-and-trailers/737426-my-trailer-diary.html)

ex10psi 02-24-2013 03:23 PM

is it a "long bed" (8')? i've got an old LB7 crew cab with a 8' bed and let me tell ya it feels like i'm hooked up to a trailer all the time!

24Chromium 02-24-2013 03:45 PM

I've posted photos of the truck earlier in this thread. It's actually a short bed, but a crew cab. And yes, I instinctively drive it as though I'm towing. I find myself going deep into all the turns, squaring them off. Heaven help me when I've got an extra 29' hanging off the bumper!

Maybe I should sign-up for one of those truck driving schools you used to see advertised on late night TV. LOL

TRAKCAR 02-24-2013 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Take cones spend half a day speed parking.
Buy a wake the dead horn. I also have 10 brake / turn signal lights.

24Chromium 02-24-2013 05:13 PM

^ That's quite a lot of lights on the rear gate of that trailer, sir!

mooty 02-25-2013 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by 24Chromium (Post 10250615)
Life With The "Beast"

To say that I'm still getting used to a truck is an understatement. Thankfully, I take a company bus to work every day, so I don't actually have to daily drive it. However, it is my default vehicle, so I do drive it 3 or 4 times a week.

The turning radius of this thing seems like its 2x of my p-car. Suddenly I have to plan everything in advance. U-turns I never thought about twice are now challenging. I make a lot more 3-point turns than I ever did.

So far, I still have trouble parking it. It seems to always take 2 or 3 tries to get it into a stall. Its so long, I always stick out. This also makes it hard to get it parked squarely within the lines. I'm always at an angle it seems, no matter how hard I try.

Parking garages are very daunting. I was entering a garage the other night that showed the clearance at 6'-9". I didn't even know the hight of my rig, so I crept in very slowly. The radio antenna scraped the whole way. That was unnerving, to say the least. Then just a couple of nights ago, when leaving the parking garage at my office, I took an exit I'd never tried before. I always took the main exit, as it's about 2 cars wide. This one is very narrow and on a bit of an angle. As I was creeping out of the security gate, I heard a loud bang and noticed my passenger side mirror was now folded in. I stopped outside to check the damage and pull the mirror back out into place. Luckily, it didn't scratch (at least not too badly) or break anything.

Yesterday was the first day I had to fill the tank. It takes diesel and I got an app for my smartphone to find stations that sell it. As I drive in to the filing station, I notice that it sells "diesel #2". I didn't know what that meant or if my truck even used that type. I had to hunt to even find the one pump that was diesel. Then I noticed it was green in color. I wondered if that meant it was bio-diesel. I asked another patron who confirmed it was "diesel" and began to fill up. As I stood there, forever (a 52 gallon tank takes a LONG time to fill), I noticed the ground was pure black and sticky from the excess fuel that spills out. I ended up washing my hands in the windshield washer bucket. Adding insult to injury, the pump shuts off at $100. I had a LOT more to go! So, I had to pay twice in order to fill up the tank. I also got it washed yesterday for the 1st time as well. Being so damn big, it cost me an extra $15 to get the same service I get on my p-car.

I'm not loving it so far, but I'm not screaming "uncle" either. Let's see how it goes when I finally start towing.

lilke i told you.
wear bunny suit when getting diesel fuel
u turns are easier in the truck than p car. u paid tax so use ALL the road as T. Serotta used to say. use the side walk for tracking out. i rarely make three point turns. when traffic is tight, like rush hour out of SF, put two wheels on the side walk and just go for it. once in a while your mirror will take out pedestrians walking too close to edege of sidewalk, but that's ok, your mirror will knock them down but no damage to mirror. i know i tried. but dont hit trees or parking meters. they usually wins.

u should tow with me and chasen. the bigger the trailer the easier it is to change lane. do NOT yield. unless it's a semi or my dually. big wins.

24Chromium 02-28-2013 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One Step Forwards, Two Steps Back

The good news is that the trailer is in the paint booth and will have the floor installed later today. The bad news is that the delivery date is slipping, as the shop is behind schedule. :banghead:

Attachment 707318

ex10psi 02-28-2013 01:42 PM

Looking good Lar! How far behind are they? This will no doubt impact my target completion date as well :(

24Chromium 02-28-2013 03:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Floor It!

Fast and furious today. The floor goes in...

Attachment 707381

Attachment 707382

Attachment 707383

Once the floor is screwed down tight onto the frame, the remaining e-track on the curb side will be welded into place, and then it's back to the paint shop for spraying the remainder of the frame from the floor up.

24Chromium 02-28-2013 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ex10psi (Post 10261934)
Looking good Lar! How far behind are they? This will no doubt impact my target completion date as well :(

I was told they are about 1-1/2 weeks behind schedule. Don't quite know yet how this is going to impact my weekend on the 15th. :confused:

IPguy 03-01-2013 10:44 AM

is the floor FRP as well?

24Chromium 03-01-2013 12:13 PM

It's the same composite panel as the walls & ceiling, just thicker.

24Chromium 03-01-2013 01:04 PM

Just a point of clarification: "FRP" is fibre reinforced plastic. These composite panels are most certainly not FRP. I believe the core is marine-grade plywood. Not fiberglass.

IPguy 03-01-2013 01:12 PM

FRP may be an acronym for many things: http://www.acronymfinder.com/FRP.html

In the trailer industry, it is commonly an acronym for "fiberglass reinforced panel" which have been in use in the industry for decades: http://www.victoryindustrialproducts...nstruction.pdf

24Chromium 03-01-2013 07:13 PM

I stand corrected!

My profession is in consumer electronics, not trailers. Hence my ignorance as to alternative definitions.

samiam 03-01-2013 11:41 PM

What's the party line regarding "storing" cars in the trailer?

I assumed/was told NEVER load or unload unless hitched to tow vehicle (which seems obvious); but, there was no advice about loading the car in the trailer, leaving the car in the trailer and unhitching the tow vehicle (and heading to the hotel or where ever...).

So, what's the story?

Thanks for feedback!