Escape Door

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 08:26 PM
The Trailer Guy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Escape Door , WITH REMOVABLE FENDER

Originally Posted by buzzyn
Looking to upgrade my open flatbed for an enclosed trailer. I have been planning on getting a trailer with the the full side escape door and it is about a $2k option. The more options I keep adding :-) I'm now questioning if that is really a must have. I think it is so I wouldn't have to winch every time but maybe that isn't that big of a deal (btw, I'm not climbing out of the window). Wanted to check and see what the brain trust has to say as I need to make a decision in the next 2 weeks.

Thanks for the input
If you do get an escape door on an enclosed trailer, make sure you get the newer one I came up with in 2104. Big Escape Door with REMOVABLE FENDER, the old style escape doors that the fender does not come out are pretty useless, too high to clear over the fender ( usually a 14" minimum threshold height ). The old school doors had to build " ramp overs" to raise the car inside. For the $2,000 it costs to do it right it is worth it in ease of use, and resale value. I did a track day and left a borrowed hekmet in the car, was able to retrieve it from a strapped down car in a few minutes, would have been 45 minutes to an hour to unstrap the car, roll it out, then tie it back down. Then just after realized I had left my wallet in the glovebox, best thing ever !
Old 01-30-2023, 09:49 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trailer Guy
If you do get an escape door on an enclosed trailer, make sure you get the newer one I came up with in 2104. Big Escape Door with REMOVABLE FENDER, the old style escape doors that the fender does not come out are pretty useless, too high to clear over the fender ( usually a 14" minimum threshold height ). The old school doors had to build " ramp overs" to raise the car inside. For the $2,000 it costs to do it right it is worth it in ease of use, and resale value. I did a track day and left a borrowed hekmet in the car, was able to retrieve it from a strapped down car in a few minutes, would have been 45 minutes to an hour to unstrap the car, roll it out, then tie it back down. Then just after realized I had left my wallet in the glovebox, best thing ever !
Wow, you're ancient. Congrats on your longevity and tech know how.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:40 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzyn
One thing is that I have two cars (dad gave me his Nismo) with tow hook in different locations so a little wheel adjustments will be needed.
LOL. I just posted this on another thread about wiring:

========
Jump box works fine with my wi-fi-remote winch.

I have a stub wall in my trailer. My winch was mounted to the top of the stub wall and triangulated with a turnbuckle mounted to a strip of E-Track bolted to the trailer floor against the front trailer wall.

When I sold my Elise and got a Cayman, I noticed the tow ring on the Lotus was on-center and the tow ring on the Cayman was 12" right of center.

I mounted a 5' parallel-style E-Track to the top of my stub wall. Then I mounted my winch to the backside of a shorter piece of vertical E-Track. Slapped them together face-to-face. Sourced a couple of E-track clips with enough reach to lock the two tracks together. One clip goes on each side of the winch.

This allows me to move the winch right or left in 4" increments. Easy to move the turnbuckle to match.

Now I can winch essentially any car with a tow ring, one hand on the remote, and the other on the steering wheel.
The following users liked this post:
buzzyn (02-06-2023)
Old 02-04-2023, 12:49 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Trailer Guy
If you do get an escape door on an enclosed trailer, make sure you get the newer one I came up with in 2014. Big Escape Door with REMOVABLE FENDER, the old style escape doors that the fender does not come out are pretty useless, too high to clear over the fender ( usually a 14" minimum threshold height ). The old school doors had to build " ramp overs" to raise the car inside. For the $2,000 it costs to do it right it is worth it in ease of use, and resale value. I did a track day and left a borrowed helmet in the car, was able to retrieve it from a strapped down car in a few minutes, would have been 45 minutes to an hour to unstrap the car, roll it out, then tie it back down. Then just after realized I had left my wallet in the glovebox, best thing ever !
I made a couple of plywood bridges that key into the left E-Track in my trailer. These tilt the car to the right enough to ensure the car door clears the escape door. I like to winch the car in, but drive it out.

And, yeah, forgetting a helmet in the car is a lot easier to deal with. Especially if the car is an Elise and the helmet is closed-face. A closed-face helmet will not fit through the window of an Elise with a hardtop.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:07 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Depending on the paddock a space, it’s nice to just keep it open all day, like an awning/porch,it allows nice air movement and light.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:58 AM
FlipE
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3Series
Depending on the paddock a space, it’s nice to just keep it open all day, like an awning/porch,it allows nice air movement and light.
I get air and light, but not shade or rain shelter. Mine is not hinged at the top, but on the leading edge.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:49 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by FlipE
I get air and light, but not shade or rain shelter. Mine is not hinged at the top, but on the leading edge.
if it’s raining out, you sit in the trailer with the rear and escape door open. On trailers with just a rear door, the interior gets hot quickly on warm summer days.

Shorty story, get the escape door. It’s just better.

Quick Reply: Escape Door